Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"New battery design can charge an electric car in 10 minutes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yay. Another miracle battery of the month press release. :rolleyes:

It is quite common to see announcements like this that proclaim some amazing achievement in one aspect of a battery. Good for them. They get a B+ on their science project.

But real use in production electric vehicles has to be a good balance of a lot of factors--not just amazing in one and suckage in others:

Long lifetime
Reasonable temperature conditions
Cost
Safety
Charging speed
Energy density (size/weight)

FYI; I would think Tesla would bring this to market before anyone else, No?

New battery design can charge an electric car in 10 minutes
So Tesla should to be releasing EVERY battery miracle tech announced? That would be a LEAST 25 different batteries every year. Get back to us in a couple of weeks asking about the NEXT miracle battery. Oh just go back a couple of weeks and Tesla should be making an Aluminum Air battery.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Sorry that we seem to be dumping on this so hard. It's just that these come up several times a year, for year after year after year. So it shows that there is a lot more to something being good enough to become production-worthy. So it is not worth breathlessly getting hopes up with every new announcement of a "breakthrough".

Sorry that we seem to be dumping on this so hard. It's just that these come up several times a year, for year after year after year. So it shows that there is a lot more to something being good enough to become production-worthy. So it is not worth breathlessly getting hopes up with every new announcement of a "breakthrough".
Wasn’t aware. If I could delete the thread, I would. For a moment, I thought I was on the “free for all” forums.tesla.com site. :( Perhaps a Mod could delete it for us?

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Wasn’t aware. If I could delete the thread, I would. For a moment, I thought I was on the “free for all” forums.tesla.com site. :( Perhaps a Mod could delete it for us?
No need to delete it; it's fine. It's just that frequently people see an article like this and then they're thinking that people need to start contacting Tesla to start using it because it's the silver bullet, etc. This was just a bit of "grumpy old guy" reaction about the realism of how press releases are just to garner attention to their experiment, but if any one of these ever starts to show more promise outside of lab settings, Tesla will obviously be aware of it, along with many other tech companies.

That's kind of the cool thing about electric vehicles. There is a gigantic multi-billion dollar worldwide market of portable electronics that always wants better battery technology, so the research on this is always being driven. So with cars that use batteries, they will of course also get to benefit from the advances in battery tech and cost for whatever shakes out to become practical.

400kW charging sounds great, but we're already at the point of diminishing returns. The Supercharger V2 standard of 120kW has been updated to 150kW, and the Supercharger V3 is being rolled out at 250kW. That's over 100% faster than the old V2 standard. And Europe has the Ionity network being rolled out, and that has potential capacity up to 350kW. Waiting 10 years for a 400kW system doesn't seem all that exciting, when 250kW and 350kW systems are rolling out now.

No slight against you was intended, and no need to delete anything. It is purely a problem with the companies making such announcements. I was excited the first few times too, and they count on that excitement.

Reactions: jebinc
No slight against you was intended, and no need to delete anything. It is purely a problem with the companies making such announcements. I was excited the first few times too, and they count on that excitement.

Understood. In this case, it was a well-known and established University (Penn State), not a company or entrepreneur, doing the research. My son is a research scientist at the University of Washington, so I'm familiar with the "research" path. Yes, I saw the aluminum cannibalization battery article a few weeks ago and didn't post it for the reasons you mention. Yeah, the title given to this article (and quoted in my post title), by the reporter, is "click bait," but I focused instead on the substance and who was doing the work. Since this research/method seemed similar to Tesla's preconditioning process, I posted it - thinking that, perhaps, Tesla and this university may be working together. When I worked at a large aerospace company, we would often give university research departments "projects" to work on.

Not unlike FSD, which is touted often by "a company", it is just a hyped up (and vague) "promise" as of today, is it not? Current FSD functionality available is 100% included in the old EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) package. An EAP customer buying FSD today would get nothing, software wise, for the large sum they would put up. Anyway, there you have it, my rationale.

@jebinc Yes and no. Buying the FSD package is essentially preordering software. It will not be "fully self driving" for a considerable time, much less without supervision. To that end, the nomenclature is misleading. Was "Autopilot" misleading? No, and people who claim this have no experience what AP in an airplane can do. Will FSD eventually work? I think it will, it is a question of the timeframe.

To give you some more context: Fraunhofer claimed they had made recharging obsolete. Just pump in new electrolyte. That was about 10 years ago. It is obvious today that they were way too optimistic. And that was Fraunhofer, a well respected institute. The exchange of electrolyte does not seem more viable today than it was a decade ago.

@jebinc Yes and no. Buying the FSD package is essentially preordering software. It will not be "fully self driving" for a considerable time, much less without supervision. To that end, the nomenclature is misleading. Was "Autopilot" misleading? No, and people who claim this have no experience what AP in an airplane can do. Will FSD eventually work? I think it will, it is a question of the timeframe.

To give you some more context: Fraunhofer claimed they had made recharging obsolete. Just pump in new electrolyte. That was about 10 years ago. It is obvious today that they were way too optimistic. And that was Fraunhofer, a well respected institute. The exchange of electrolyte does not seem more viable today than it was a decade ago.

Fair enough. I offered that the mods take the thread down, and when that didn't happen, my non troll/non fanbois explanation for the OP. I'm done posting in this thread now. :)

FYI; I would think Tesla would bring this to market before anyone else, No?
First, thanks for starting the thread. Information is good. Hopefully the reactions (including mine) don't dissuade you in the future.

Second, speaking for myself it's the quoted question that rubbed me wrong. Imagine I said "hey there's a new physics equation proposed to explain sometihng in a journal" that hasn't even been peer reviewed, much less "generally accepted" by the scientific community, much less put into practice in a product. Now imagine someone said "Do you think company X will be the first to use the equation?" on a scientific forum. I don't know the reaction you'd get but I suspect it would be similar to the vibe in this thread -- (paraphrasing) "too soon".