TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New battery design for M3 coming

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Aug 14, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Just read this article on Electrek in which Elon is quoted as saying for the $35K M3 they're going to be using a new battery module design that is "lighter, better and cheaper" than the current battery module design in the LR version of the M3. Thats all news to me! Wonder if that will mean the LR v2.0 next year will get more range?

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is still coming and with a new battery module design

• Like x 1
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Actually the quote about the new battery module design was not directly linked to the $35k version of the Model 3 at all. All we know is that they are making the production line now and expect it to be in volume production early next year. It may be for SR, may be for LR, or may be for both.

• Like x 3
  3. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Thanks for sharing! If it's going to be lighter and better overall, then yes they might be able to get greater range by including the new design across the Tesla lineup (even extending to the Model X and S at a later point). I expect they'll release more details in the next few months.

4. kev1n

kev1n Member

this was probably in the plans to introduce the $35k model without taking too much of a hit or maybe even profitable?

5. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I wonder if December deliveries will have the new battery.

6. MP3Mike

The quote says "probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something" so most likely not. Not to mention that they probably won't scrap the current line, they may run them in parallel. (In which case the new design will probably be the SR battery to start with.) Hopefully they can retro-fit the new design to the old line without a lot of downtime.

7. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I suspect they're still using the same 2170 cells just the module packaging is different? I wonder in what specific ways besides weight savings and cost will the new modules be "better" as Elon says.

8. david_42

david_42 Member

Looking at other articles, fire control in an accident seems to be a factor. Preventing a fire in one module from spreading to other ones.

• Informative x 2
  9. rrobin36

rrobin36 Member

Does 'volume production', mean all batteries for both LR and SR will use these battery modules in Q1? Could still mean that SR models being delivered in December could have the new battery. One can hope!

10. MP3Mike

No. There is also no guarantee that it will be Q1. It could easily be Q2.

11. cizUK

cizUK Member

Many tear downs have deemed the current battery systems cutting edge, so what will they think to this?:)

12. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

Hmm welcome to Tesla life, where the car you haven't even received yet is already obsolete.
    I think once I finally receive my model 3 I'm going to stop visiting this forum so much so I can remain blissfully unaware of stuff like this.

• Funny x 14
    • Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  13. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

In Tesla-time, that means Q2 2019 :)

14. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Following Tesla and owning a Tesla is to be painfully aware of what continuous improvement actually means. Whenever we buy, there will always be improvements. Many of them will be software, sometimes not. The question then is when you'll trade for the improvement or not. I already miss my P85D but that will not make me regret the P3D+ either.

I have loved every one fo the five Tesla vehicles I've been driving before from a 2012 S85, a recent S75, an X90D and an S90D plus my last P85D. FWIW, the furute willbring other excitement. Model Y and Roadster, bring then on!!

• Like x 2
  15. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Personally, I read the quote to very much be small, iterative tweaks. By eliminating one washer in the design, you can accurately claim everything he's suggested....

16. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

A smaller battery would hopefully be lighter and cheaper by default. So that's not necessarily news. Better? That could be interesting. That would suggest either battery chemistry or the enclosure.

• Like x 1
  17. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

I wonder if EM sometimes feels like another of our leaders? He makes what I am sure he thought was a positive statement,
    and it is received with skepticism, pessimism, criticism, second-guessing and doubt.

Now I may be proven wrong, and if so, I will be sadly disappointed.
    But as a reservation holder that is anxiously awaiting the SR battery ....
    that was the first good news I have heard in a long time.
    I had actually started thinking about an alternative vehicle.
    But I am back in the fold.
    Come on Tesla ........... prove the nay-sayers wrong.

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

There's no economically better option than getting a second hand LR before the end of the year.

19. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Why before the end of the year? There are no tax refunds on used cars or are there in some areas?

20. Atlanta_Guy

Atlanta_Guy New Member

I thought I heard that Tesla has figured out how to remove most of the wiring associated with the battery. That would make it smaller, lighter, and cheaper...? but who know's. We'll see soon enough I guess.