Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery design for M3 coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read this article on Electrek in which Elon is quoted as saying for the $35K M3 they're going to be using a new battery module design that is "lighter, better and cheaper" than the current battery module design in the LR version of the M3. Thats all news to me! Wonder if that will mean the LR v2.0 next year will get more range?

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is still coming and with a new battery module design

Just read this article on Electrek in which Elon is quoted as saying for the $35K M3 they're going to be using a new battery module design that is "lighter, better and cheaper" than the current battery module design in the LR version of the M3. Thats all news to me! Wonder if that will mean the LR v2.0 next year will get more range?

Actually the quote about the new battery module design was not directly linked to the $35k version of the Model 3 at all. All we know is that they are making the production line now and expect it to be in volume production early next year. It may be for SR, may be for LR, or may be for both.

Thanks for sharing! If it's going to be lighter and better overall, then yes they might be able to get greater range by including the new design across the Tesla lineup (even extending to the Model X and S at a later point). I expect they'll release more details in the next few months.

I wonder if December deliveries will have the new battery.

The quote says "probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something" so most likely not. Not to mention that they probably won't scrap the current line, they may run them in parallel. (In which case the new design will probably be the SR battery to start with.) Hopefully they can retro-fit the new design to the old line without a lot of downtime.

I suspect they're still using the same 2170 cells just the module packaging is different? I wonder in what specific ways besides weight savings and cost will the new modules be "better" as Elon says.

Looking at other articles, fire control in an accident seems to be a factor. Preventing a fire in one module from spreading to other ones.

Following Tesla and owning a Tesla is to be painfully aware of what continuous improvement actually means. Whenever we buy, there will always be improvements. Many of them will be software, sometimes not. The question then is when you'll trade for the improvement or not. I already miss my P85D but that will not make me regret the P3D+ either.

I have loved every one fo the five Tesla vehicles I've been driving before from a 2012 S85, a recent S75, an X90D and an S90D plus my last P85D. FWIW, the furute willbring other excitement. Model Y and Roadster, bring then on!!

Personally, I read the quote to very much be small, iterative tweaks. By eliminating one washer in the design, you can accurately claim everything he's suggested....
“We came up with a new design that achieves the same outcome, that’s actually lighter, better, cheaper and we will be introducing that around the end of this year – probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something. That will make the car lighter, better, and cheaper and achieve a higher range.”

I wonder if EM sometimes feels like another of our leaders? He makes what I am sure he thought was a positive statement,
and it is received with skepticism, pessimism, criticism, second-guessing and doubt.

Now I may be proven wrong, and if so, I will be sadly disappointed.
But as a reservation holder that is anxiously awaiting the SR battery ....
that was the first good news I have heard in a long time.
I had actually started thinking about an alternative vehicle.
But I am back in the fold.
Come on Tesla ........... prove the nay-sayers wrong.

I wonder if EM sometimes feels like another of our leaders? He makes what I am sure he thought was a positive statement,
and it is received with skepticism, pessimism, criticism, second-guessing and doubt.

Now I may be proven wrong, and if so, I will be sadly disappointed.
But as a reservation holder that is anxiously awaiting the SR battery ....
that was the first good news I have heard in a long time.
I had actually started thinking about an alternative vehicle.
But I am back in the fold.
Come on Tesla ........... prove the nay-sayers wrong.

There's no economically better option than getting a second hand LR before the end of the year.