Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery option 70D, is 105D next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine this happening, due to engineering challenges. The packs have to be temperature controlled (heating/cooling), have to be designed to withstand various impacts and have to be designed to protect passengers from a run-away reaction. It is not a trivial matter to add more battery modules, and if you include all the supporting infrastructure, the actual weight of the battery pack would be significant, which has an adverse effect on range. Its usually best to keep the design as simple as possible.

That's probably true. The pack would have to be modified to be suitable for non-stationary use, and have the ability to DC to DC charge the main car battery. As for add weight, though, if you have to give up a couple of third row seats, that's about 400lbs to pay with.

- - - Updated - - -

And there is additional problem of balancing both packs. If onboard battery had lower voltage (lower SOC) it would drain the AddOn batteries or vice-versa. There would need to be a balancing device that would limit this surge current not to damage the batteries.

The add-on battery would be used to (quick) charge the main battery. As a backup pack, like the ones you bring with you to charge your phone. Not directly drawing power from it while driving.

That's probably true. The pack would have to be modified to be suitable for non-stationary use, and have the ability to DC to DC charge the main car battery. As for add weight, though, if you have to give up a couple of third row seats, that's about 400lbs to pay with.

The add-on battery would be used to (quick) charge the main battery. As a backup pack, like the ones you bring with you to charge your phone. Not directly drawing power from it while driving.

When replacing that small area with batteries, half the weight will be due to the redundant systems (heating/cooling/shielding/electronics/etc.) and therefore, you get very little additional range from a significantly more expensive solution. Also, whenever you add additional boundaries, efficiencies always drop, and in this case I would expect it to drop significantly. The only way I can see there being an extended battery pack, is if Tesla replaces the 3rd row seats with batteries by extending the existing battery pack into that area. That way you could use the existing heating/cooling infrastructure and all the control electronics.

But that would mean having two different chassis, which complicates things for Tesla. I don't see Tesla opting for this solution. I think if we wait long enough, battery efficiencies will improve and this becomes less of an issue. If it was that easy to add more batteries, Tesla would have done it long ago. Instead, Tesla went from the opposite direction and decided to build out an incredibly large SuperCharger infrastructure.

Last edited:
Someone was listening. Wow, big news that the 85 battery pack for the Model X will now have an upgrade option to the New 90 battery pack. I am not sure of the distance specs for Model X but 230 miles was posted once. Reports are the new battery pack 90 will offer 15 more miles to the total distance of a Model S. So let's just for the easy math say 230 + 15 = 245 miles. Hmm, I am going to have to accept a SUV/MiniVan that on a full charge is going to be a vehicle that comes with a half size tank. This will only be a small adjustment for our road trips on back roads. Will just take the Ford Pickup on those trips and keep the Model X for super highway trips. Was looking forward to doing Route 66 on as much of the original roads as possible, with advance planing and making calls to motels for charging it can be done. Hwy 49 and other fun roads will fall into this as well. I belong to an antique car club and we run back roads that make these trips look even look like big highways. Lincoln Highway and Route 66 are the King Roads while Yellowstone and Sturgis are back highways. Will find a few superchargers I'm sure. Looking forward to Dodge City, Tombstone, and all the historic towns. (Bucket list stuff)