Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery pack on a three week old car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jpd1004

Picked up my new Model 3 on 11/23. On 12/8 error message told me the vehicle could not be charged. Brought into service 12/13 and found today, 12/16 that I need a new battery pack. By the time it gets here and the repair is done. approximately three weeks according the very nice service center rep, I will have had a Tesla loaner longer than I have had my new Tesla.

Feel like I've made a huge mistake. Near impossible to get a human to talk even when you can find a number to call. Thoughts?

Picked up my new Model 3 on 11/23. On 12/8 error message told me the vehicle could not be charged. Brought into service 12/13 and found today, 12/16 that I need a new battery pack. By the time it gets here and the repair is done. approximately three weeks according the very nice service center rep, I will have had a Tesla loaner longer than I have had my new Tesla.

Feel like I've made a huge mistake. Near impossible to get a human to talk even when you can find a number to call. Thoughts?
If you have an open service ticket, which you do, then you can text the service advisor directly through the app. It works pretty well, and I've always found them responsive.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Upvote 0
Thoughts?

That "infant mortality" for electrical / Electronic parts is definitely non zero, but still rare. Things tend to fail right away, or last for a while. Replacing a battery is not the same thing as replacing an engine in an ICE vehicle, its more like replacing a battery pack in an RC vehicle, or a battery backup unit.

While I absolutely do not want to minimize what it feels like to have a brand new car in the shop (I have experienced this with a couple of BMWs I have had over the years, I know how it feels), your car will likely be fine once they get the battery in and get it back to you. There is not an epidemic of this, but this is also not the only thread I have seen on this topic.

Rare, but non zero.

Hang in there, and it should be fine when you get it back.

Upvote 2

It comes with the brand:

• Informative
Reactions: Biscuitman
Upvote 0

Just curious. Which model ? RWD with the LFP battery ? Thanks

Upvote 0
If you have an open service ticket, which you do, then you can text the service advisor directly through the app. It works pretty well, and I've always found them responsive.
Sadly I have already spoken to the very nice service advisor. I wanted to know how it was even possible that I was in this position and that I would appreciate a call from someone higher up. I also wanted to know what Tesla was going to do to restore my confidence in their brand or provide some gesture of good will to recognize their failure and my disappointment. She gave me a phone number which defeated all of my attempts to find a live person.

Upvote 0
Sadly I have already spoken to the very nice service advisor. I wanted to know how it was even possible that I was in this position and that I would appreciate a call from someone higher up. I also wanted to know what Tesla was going to do to restore my confidence in their brand or provide some gesture of good will to recognize their failure and my disappointment. She gave me a phone number which defeated all of my attempts to find a live person.

The answer to your first question is already in this thread. Nothing is perfect. Sometimes large components on automobiles malfunction when the car is nearly new. This is not a new phenomenon, nor is it extremely common. It's unfortunate that this appears to be your first EV experience.

I'm guessing the way that they will attempt to restore your confidence is to competently repair the vehicle at no cost to you and provide you with loaner transportation until the repair is completed and hope that everything works as designed when you get it back and for many miles in the future.

If you're looking for a handout, it's probably not going to happen. Tesla isn't hurting for customers. They don't even advertise. They likely aren't going to go out of their way to appease you beyond repairing the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Major failures like this are very rare on any new car, and Tesla is no exception. But nonetheless, this can and does happen on occasion with any brand.

Fortunately, the battery is a technically "simple" device to replace - just a few wires and a coolant hose. So it's not like needing an engine or transmission replacement on a dinosaur car that might lead to a lifetime of gremlins. They'll slap in the new battery and the car will be back to factory-new condition.

Unfortunately you *cannot* contact anyone at Tesla - ever. That is a hard rule and a huge learning curve for most (all?) new Tesla buyers. If you ask around or Google hard enough you might find a phone number or email address, but those have all been disconnected years ago.

All communication must be done thru the app, which mostly works fine. Hopefully this will change somewhat after Elon gets fired.

Upvote 0
That's what the warranty is for...

The answer to your first question is already in this thread. Nothing is perfect. Sometimes large components on automobiles malfunction when the car is nearly new. This is not a new phenomenon, nor is it extremely common. It's unfortunate that this appears to be your first EV experience.

I'm guessing the way that they will attempt to restore your confidence is to competently repair the vehicle at no cost to you and provide you with loaner transportation until the repair is completed and hope that everything works as designed when you get it back and for many miles in the future.

If you're looking for a handout, it's probably not going to happen. Tesla isn't hurting for customers. They don't even advertise. They likely aren't going to go out of their way to appease you beyond repairing the vehicle.
Specifically this is my first Tesla EV experience. A huge letdown compared to my 15 year Lexus experience. Fairly confident Lexus will have an EV by the time I buy my next car which puts Tesla to the curb.

Tesla is ahead of the rest of the market in a lot of ways, but, that won't last with poor quality and lousy customer relations.

Upvote 0
Specifically this is my first Tesla EV experience. A huge letdown compared to my 15 year Lexus experience.

You coming from a Lexus explains your expectation of being able to contact "someone higher up the chain" and "what are you going to do to restore my confidence". Pretty much no other brand comes close to Lexus customer service, and you will get nothing anywhere close to that with tesla (or anyone else basically).

If thats your expectation, you will either need to adjust your expectation, or sell your vehicle and go back to Lexus cause its not going to happen either now or anytime in the future with Tesla (or basically anyone else).

Upvote 0
That "infant mortality" for electrical / Electronic parts is definitely non zero, but still rare. Things tend to fail right away, or last for a while. Replacing a battery is not the same thing as replacing an engine in an ICE vehicle, its more like replacing a battery pack in an RC vehicle, or a battery backup unit.

While I absolutely do not want to minimize what it feels like to have a brand new car in the shop (I have experienced this with a couple of BMWs I have had over the years, I know how it feels), your car will likely be fine once they get the battery in and get it back to you. There is not an epidemic of this, but this is also not the only thread I have seen on this topic.

Rare, but non zero.

Hang in there, and it should be fine when you get it back.
Thanks for info and support. Much appreciated.

Fifteen year Lexus customer with an amazing dealership/service center. Tesla has a lot to learn when it comes to customer relations. They have what one could call the best mouse trap on the market in a number of respects, but, it won't sustain them in the long run as the competition is quickly catching up, Pending some change this will be my first and last Tesla EV.

Upvote 0

Fifteen year Lexus customer with an amazing dealership/service center. Tesla has a lot to learn when it comes to customer relations. They have what one could call the best mouse trap on the market in a number of respects, but, it won't sustain them in the long run as the competition is quickly catching up, Pending some change this will be my first and last Tesla EV.
Don't take this the wrong way but you're not buying a Tesla for the white glove treatment, aka kissing customer rears, you're buying it for their leadership in battery/motor/software which they are generations ahead.

You could go back to Toyo/Lexus and get their latest and greatest EV?

Upvote 1
You coming from a Lexus explains your expectation of being able to contact "someone higher up the chain" and "what are you going to do to restore my confidence". Pretty much no other brand comes close to Lexus customer service, and you will get nothing anywhere close to that with tesla (or anyone else basically).

If thats your expectation, you will either need to adjust your expectation, or sell your vehicle and go back to Lexus cause its not going to happen either now or anytime in the future with Tesla (or basically anyone else).
Honestly, never left Lexus, but, as of today, they don't have an EV. When they
Don't take this the wrong way but you're not buying a Tesla for the white glove treatment, aka kissing customer rears, you're buying it for their leadership in battery/motor/software which they are generations ahead.

Great advice. Done.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the car leads. I'm completely unfamiliar with the bz4x, that being said it has more range than my brand new model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman
Upvote 0

If you are waiting for Toyota/Lexus to catch up in the EV space, you will waiting for a long while. Of all the brands, Toyota and Mazda appear to be the furthest behind.

Upvote 0
If you are waiting for Toyota/Lexus to catch up in the EV space, you will waiting for a long while. Of all the brands, Toyota and Mazda appear to be the furthest behind.
I agree, Toyota/Lexus is behind the curve which is somewhat ironic given Toyota's history. Actually, I'm not waiting for any one brand to catch Tesla. I'm estimating something less than 'generations' before another manufacturer catches up. Now that I know first-hand what it means to be a Tesla customer I'll wait for whoever meets or bests Tesla first.

Upvote 0
I agree, Toyota/Lexus is behind the curve which is somewhat ironic given Toyota's history. Actually, I'm not waiting for any one brand to catch Tesla. I'm estimating something less than 'generations' before another manufacturer catches up. Now that I know first-hand what it means to be a Tesla customer I'll wait for whoever meets or bests Tesla first.
Its going to be a very long wait. Right now, your M3 RWD can charge at any Tesla SC station, any J1772 L2 public charger and any CCS1 DCFC station (with the CCS1 to Tesla adapter), such as Electrify America, which I used last night in Lordsburg NM. Tesla cars have the best of both worlds at this moment in time, and for the foreseeable future.

Tesla has honoured their warranty and provided you with a no cost loaner. Your car will be returned to you with a new battery pack. What could any other manufacturer do differently?

Upvote 0