Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new battery purchased for 18 K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a new battery from Tesla Rocklin, my car was originally 70D with 240miles, picked up the car yesterday charged it at home then realize my max mile is now 208, on the receipt, Tesla stated that 70KWH battery was installed, i am so confused as to why Tesla will do that.

Bought a new battery from Tesla Rocklin, my car was originally 70D with 240miles, picked up the car yesterday charged it at home then realize my max mile is now 208, on the receipt, Tesla stated that 70KWH battery was installed, i am so confused as to why Tesla will do that.

Your car is made for a 70kwh pack. Tesla only replaces defective old packs with refurbished old packs. Did you check with them what you'd be getting for 18k before agreeing?

You should've contacted @wk057 or someone who could upgrade your car if you wanted a bigger capacity or modern chemistry pack.

Upvote 0
Why did you have to pay out of pocket? All 70Ds are still covered by the 8 year battery warranty.

i bought the car less than two years ago from tesla used inventory, tesla claimed that i ran over something on freeway and damage the battery, which i never did, after going back and forth for like 3wks tesla claimed the damage was caused by me and not covered by warranty i decided to pay for repair

Upvote 0
Your car is made for a 70kwh pack. Tesla only replaces defective old packs with refurbished old packs. Did you check with them what you'd be getting for 18k before agreeing?

You should've contacted @wk057 or someone who could upgrade your car if you wanted a bigger capacity or modern chemistry pack.
He paid the battery, so he should get new battery, not refurbished.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Upvote 0
Any car should be eligible to be upgraded to the new 350v “90kwh” pack. But I imagine that would cost more than $18k coming from a 70.

No, Tesla cars are married to the pack they are built with. It takes Tesla engineering to reassign a pack and usually Tesla really really doesn't want to do that. They'll give a loaner pack while the original pack is refurbished.

I would've contacted a third party to assess the claims by Tesla that you damaged the pack but what is done is done.

Upvote 0
No, Tesla cars are married to the pack they are built with. It takes Tesla engineering to reassign a pack and usually Tesla really really doesn't want to do that.
This is nonsensical. If Tesla is replacing the pack anyway, surely they’re doing some manner of “marriage” or other programming on the engineering side regardless.

There are countless examples on this board of cars receiving battery replacements of different capacity than originally equipped. Tesla recently provided a statement to Gruber Motors confirming that any car is capable of receiving the new 14 module “90” pack as a paid replacement (but at the same time confirming that only cars originally equipped with 100 packs can get 100 replacements, presumably due to suspension/weight difference).

See ~3:45 for direct Tesla quote RE upgrades:

Upvote 0
are you able to take a picture of the new battery label? Look under the passenger front tirewell towards the battery. I find it surprising that they put in a crap refurbished battery for a paying customer. There is another thread with a guy that got a 350v/90khw battery in his 70 and initially had 280 miles range, but in a few days it was capped as a 70. No reason for you to have worse range and performance with a paid battery replacement

Upvote 0

It's true that Tesla replaces batteries with remanufactured batteries WHEN a cat is UNDER warranty.

To say that they "only" do something is misinformation.

He paid the battery, so he should get new battery, not refurbished.

Not necessarily true. You can buy a new battery, or you can buy a remanufactured battery (obviously for less, about 25% less +/-).

No, Tesla cars are married to the pack they are built with. It takes Tesla engineering to reassign a pack and usually Tesla really really doesn't want to do that. They'll give a loaner pack while the original pack is refurbished.

Wrong.

I'm just trying to explain Tesla will sell you a refurb and not new unless you make sure. Don't give 18k and then try to find out.

Plus I think new pack is 30k

$18k seems right for a new, not remanufactured, 70kwh pack.

A new 90kwh pack runs $20k; see multiple receipts on battery subforum (one is mine).

are you able to take a picture of the new battery label? Look under the passenger front tirewell towards the battery. I find it surprising that they put in a crap refurbished battery for a paying customer. There is another thread with a guy that got a 350v/90khw battery in his 70 and initially had 280 miles range, but in a few days it was capped as a 70. No reason for you to have worse range and performance with a paid battery replacement

It's likely new, not remanufactured. My guess...

Upvote 0
i asked about the upgrade and the Manager said it is not possible, it has been a nite mare dealing with tesla
It should be possible, unless they ran out of the 90kwh 350V pack. You should ask another service advisor or another tesla service center. Also if insurance is covering the repairs, I suspect you will have to get a remanufactued 70kwh pack since insurance typically don't upgrade you when you repair things. And tesla doesn't have new 70kwh pack anymore so it will be a remanufactured pack. Like others have said, if it is damage, your insurance should cover it.

Being pessimistic about tesla intentions, i suspect they will say this so they don't have to cover the cost of the pack and let you deal with your insurance to get it fixed. You might want to get proof to your insurance if this is the case and let them Duke it out with tesla. Again only if you do have compressive insurance coverage.

Upvote 0
It's likely new, not remanufactured. My guess...

Not if the 100% rated charge is 208 which is exactly what the 60kwh S was. My guess is this is a refurb or used battery since it appears to have been discounted from new. The only other thing that makes sense is that this particular S doesn't have full coverage insurance which means it's also owned outright. Nothing else fits.

I suppose the other possibility is that the facts haven't been accurately stated.

Upvote 0
Not if the 100% rated charge is 208 which is exactly what the 60kwh S was. My guess is this is a refurb or used battery since it appears to have been discounted from new. The only other thing that makes sense is that this particular S doesn't have full coverage insurance which means it's also owned outright. Nothing else fits.

I suppose the other possibility is that the facts haven't been accurately stated.
I have a full coverage and the insurance is paying the 18K, on the original estimate sent to me, it is stated the battery is new, not refurb,

Upvote 0
It should be possible, unless they ran out of the 90kwh 350V pack. You should ask another service advisor or another tesla service center. Also if insurance is covering the repairs, I suspect you will have to get a remanufactued 70kwh pack since insurance typically don't upgrade you when you repair things. And tesla doesn't have new 70kwh pack anymore so it will be a remanufactured pack. Like others have said, if it is damage, your insurance should cover it.

Being pessimistic about tesla intentions, i suspect they will say this so they don't have to cover the cost of the pack and let you deal with your insurance to get it fixed. You might want to get proof to your insurance if this is the case and let them Duke it out with tesla. Again only if you do have compressive insurance coverage.
i was willing to pay the difference of the cost of upgrade but the advisor and the manager just shut me down saying it is not do able

Upvote 0