Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery tech for 21 models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per conf call, curious what the range will be.

Tesla also said it would begin producing its latest model -- a crossover SUV, the Model Y -- at new plants in Austin, Texas, and Brandenburg, Germany, in 2021 using the company's own new battery cells, which Tesla unveiled at an annual shareholder meeting and battery presentation in September last year.

Just got delivery on Model Y. Mfg: 1/21
Battery range 324 miles. (see attached)
Wonder if this is the new battery?

Attachments

• 324_Range.jpg
    324_Range.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 126
The Model 3/Y use the 2170 cells right now. However, the new 4680 cells were just announced last month, and Elon has already said it'll eventually trickle down into their cars but they're still working out the details for that.

WHEN the 4680 battery packs start to get installed into production cars, it'll most likely start with the tri-motor vehicles (i.e. Model S Plaid+, Roadster, Tri-Motor Cybertruck). Currently there's no ETA for the Model S Plaid+ except that it should hopefully be out later this year.

With that timeline & analogy, I wouldn't expect the 4680 cells to go into the Model 3/Y production cars until 2022 at the earliest. And when they do, I also wouldn't be surprised if Tesla puts out a face-lifted 3/Y to go with the battery pack change - just like they did with the new S/X cars.

Although I could be wrong and they'll be out much sooner, and that would definitely be a good thing! But I have a feeling it'll be awhile until the 4680 into the 3/Y cars.

Just got delivery on Model Y. Mfg: 1/21
Battery range 324 miles. (see attached)
Wonder if this is the new battery?
That's the current/existing battery pack, as Tesla advertises 326 mile range on the LR Model Y.

I believe they will be using the new cells on the Model S Plaid+ first, and that's scheduled to deliver later this year. I can't see Model 3/Y jumping the gun anytime soon. If you're in the market for a 3 or a Y, just buy one and start enjoying it now.

I believe they will be using the new cells on the Model S Plaid+ first, and that's scheduled to deliver later this year. I can't see Model 3/Y jumping the gun anytime soon. If you're in the market for a 3 or a Y, just buy one and start enjoying it now.

Obviously, the Model S Plaid+ will have the 4680 cells and delivered later this year but that will be coming out of Fremont. I wonder if the Model Ys coming out of Austin will begin with the 4680s (not announced yet so as to not Osborne Fremont sales) or if the first Model Ys out of Austin will just have the current 2170 packs until the 4680 battery lines are up and running?