Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery tech release timeline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mid-range is losing range like crazy. It went from 264 down to 242 last year and in the last couple months it started on a sharp decline. It’s down around 224 now.

I am wondering if I’m going to need a replacement under warranty soon. Is there an estimated timeline for the upgraded battery technology that Musk talked about during battery day? Seems like I remember someone saying it was around two years, is this accurate?

FBFB0C46-2CFD-47B4-BFFA-5DB05B928103.png

I'm new to Tesla, but have read many times the apparent decrease in range might only be the algorithm, and not the battery. How are you charging your cars? Supposedly, if you charge your car to 100% (like every 3 months), then run it down to 20%, with everything off (sentry, overheat protection, etc), and over a few days, preferably, so the car can report different SOCs overnight, then charge it back to 80% max, it should recalibrate, and give you a more realistic range. Several threads on that subject. Hope this helps.

My mid-range is losing range like crazy. It went from 264 down to 242 last year and in the last couple months it started on a sharp decline. It’s down around 224 now.

I am wondering if I’m going to need a replacement under warranty soon. Is there an estimated timeline for the upgraded battery technology that Musk talked about during battery day? Seems like I remember someone saying it was around two years, is this accurate?

View attachment 632364
This thread is a rather long read, with a ton of information in it.... some good, some bad, some so-so. It is definitely worth making a fresh pot of coffee and giving it a read. Worst case, you wasted 30 minutes of your day. Best case, you end up getting some of your mileage back.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zorak03

View attachment 632364

those graphs look off and it seems something isn’t right. I believe Tesla can access this information ota and provide information. How old is your car? And have you tried running it down to 10 and then full charging a few times?

those graphs look off and it seems something isn’t right. I believe Tesla can access this information ota and provide information. How old is your car? And have you tried running it down to 10 and then full charging a few times?

Its a Dec 18 model with around 8800 miles on it. I’ve not ran it down to below 10% yet but I did run it to around 17% last week and then charged to 90%. No change. I have opened a service request with Tesla, I’ll see what they say.