Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery Tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IF true, this could be a game changer.

Smartphones that charge in five minutes 'could arrive next year' - BBC News

Hopefully Tesla is talking to these people.

A smartphone working on quick charging battery technology is indeed impressive. Along with it, another unveiled is about a battery charger for cars. Perhaps, everyone else especially the electric car users are looking forward about the battery that charges in five minutes. Its indeed a super battery and powerful if its true. Well, I've read that the battery provides 300 miles of range which is not bad .

Tesla and Musk follow innovations in batteries very closely. Musk is a generalist but this tech is basically what he'd been accepted to the PhD program at Stanford for, so it's as close to his specialty as anything. There are announcements of new battery breakthroughs almost daily but they usually don't turn out to be significant.

Even if the batteries could be charged in 5 minutes, there is not a charger anywhere that could supply the current for such a set up.

Batteries have many properties. The winner will be a well rounded option with quick charging, low cost, easy production, readily available in vast quantities, long life, capable of many cycles, no thermal issues, good packaging, good service history, government acceptability, environmentally reasonable, no need for rare earth mining, environmentally sound raw materials, and will work well on Mars :)

Can't just take one item and call it an advanced battery option.

Lots of new technology in the labs, but bringing it to commercial viability culls out most of them.

I saw the article, a combination of battery and capacitor, so charging a Tesla 10 times faster would require a megawatt of power. We better have robots plugging it in and some damn fat wires.
If you up the voltage you can lower the current. Let's say everyone had a 75 kWh battery on average. 0-80% in 10 minutes would only be 360 kW which is on par with what others are attempting to do in the future.

If you up the voltage you can lower the current. Let's say everyone had a 75 kWh battery on average. 0-80% in 10 minutes would only be 360 kW which is on par with what others are attempting to do in the future.
Tesla said that to increase from 100kW to 300kW will require cooling by the charging station through the hook up to the car. Apparently none of the charge ports are currently capable of that.
The additional jump to a megawatt could maintain the current amps but jump from 400vdc to 4000vdc which will require additional insulation to prevent arcing. I'm not saying this can't be done, however it isn't as simple as getting a better battery.

Tesla said that to increase from 100kW to 300kW will require cooling by the charging station through the hook up to the car. Apparently none of the charge ports are currently capable of that.
The additional jump to a megawatt could maintain the current amps but jump from 400vdc to 4000vdc which will require additional insulation to prevent arcing. I'm not saying this can't be done, however it isn't as simple as getting a better battery.

There's an entire thread dedicated to the charge port...
Speculation - New charging plug?

They've done experiments with liquid cooling in the cables
mountian-view-supercharger.jpg

and the new patent shows a charging platform with built in cooling:
tesla-patent-charging-1.png

Finally there are plans for 350-400 kW charging stations already:
Chargepoint announces 400 kW charging, adds 100 miles of electric vehicle range in less than 15 minutes

Last edited:

First of all, I am pretty comfortable with the supercharger rates. I usually am not ready to move on before the car is, which is fortunate since the faster charging probably won't apply to the existing cars including the M3.
Second, I frequently see charge rates of 300 mph, so that translates to 100 miles in 20 minutes assuming the temperature and SOC (state of charge) are appropriate. Even at a more frequent 250 mph that is only 24 minutes.
Third, looking at the patent drawing, a cooling port that automatically connects to coolant accessed from the bottom of the car sounds like a problem waiting to happen, what with mud and salt spattering up into either the cooling port or the protective door mechanism. Inspecting and wiping it clean with it under the car won't be fun at all.
Finally, I think Tesla will consider these things and will come up with a good solution. I just got my MS last December, so Tesla has 4 years to figure this out before I am likely to trade up.

First of all, I am pretty comfortable with the supercharger rates. I usually am not ready to move on before the car is, which is fortunate since the faster charging probably won't apply to the existing cars including the M3.
Second, I frequently see charge rates of 300 mph, so that translates to 100 miles in 20 minutes assuming the temperature and SOC (state of charge) are appropriate. Even at a more frequent 250 mph that is only 24 minutes.
Third, looking at the patent drawing, a cooling port that automatically connects to coolant accessed from the bottom of the car sounds like a problem waiting to happen, what with mud and salt spattering up into either the cooling port or the protective door mechanism. Inspecting and wiping it clean with it under the car won't be fun at all.
Finally, I think Tesla will consider these things and will come up with a good solution. I just got my MS last December, so Tesla has 4 years to figure this out before I am likely to trade up.

While you might be more than satisfied with your 24 minutes, what you won't be satisfied with is during a holiday rush if all the stalls are full due to Model 3 volumes and you're the third or fourth person in line...

The patent lists several ways too cool the battery. The point of the patent is thermal management by the station while charging.
MrJKyZ.jpg