Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im by no means an expert. But I do look at announcements like this with the same skepticism as all the advancements in treatments of cancer when they hit the news. When such advances actually have a practical real world impact may be years away. And that's all good, but it means nothing for today. There are so many steps to go before it makes a real world difference.

As for the MS batteries - one of the "selling points" of the MS battery is that is NOT bleeding edge in terms of its chemistry. Actually, the opposite is valuable in this case. As I was fighting my HOA (who was afraid the car would explode in our garage), Walter Franck helped to try to dispel some of the FUD. His point was that the chemistry and form factor of the MS batteries was well established and widely used. (The engineering to confiugre the batteries into packs is also a huge contributor in safety also). But that the well-tested nature of the battery made them safer than some of the newer "higher density/energy" battery technology available.

Again,Im no expert. Just relaying what was explained to me.

This might have already been discussed, but here's one that is ready for the market today!
http://xgsciences.com/releases/new-battery-anode/

"... hold four times the amount of energy and extend the lifespan of the batteries substantially."

Graphene is Expensive... but lifepo4 is cheap, and according to this new patent (ANL-IN-11-024) date:(May 28 2013) of Argonne National Laboratory there is a new method to reduce the cost to the Middle lifepo4 increasing the density of energy and increasing the life cycles.

lifepo4 batteries have very long life. An example of this 300,000 Kilometers 3 Years Later, BYD e6 Taxis Lose Just 5% Of Range −

Taxis BDY tested for 3 years have shown great durability, these use batteries lifepo4. if the patent announcement Argonne National Laboratory is true, there is a method to make these batteries with more DENSITY, More durable and half the PRICE ... without using rare or expensive materials, only material CHEAP ..

http://web.anl.gov/techtransfer/pdf/fact_sheets/lithium_composites.pdf