Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery warranty terms for new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Tesloop comes to mind.
Their shuttle's suspended. I doubt they'll get anywhere as high in terms of annual mileage on their rental program now.

Also, I noticed at Tesloop says
Tesloop One Way Rental service on hold.
Hello! Thank you for your interest in our One Way Rental service. We've decided to temporarily pause service as of 1/15/2020 in order to upgrade our software and make adjustments to our operations. We are also waiting on brand new Tesla vehicles to join our fleet. These updates will help us continue to provide a 5-Star experience to future renters. We apologize for the inconvenience and temporary interruption in service.

Last edited:
Agreed, and it looks like they’ve already corrected it. The warranty doc linked in my Tesla account now says:

Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

Vehicle Warranty

It doesn't say that now!!!!

Can they retroactively changed my unlimited mileage 8 year warranty to 150K miles? I don't think so!!

You need to look at the actual warranty doc. It is what counts:

new-s-x-battery-warranty-png.506011

So what will you buy next, if not a Tesla?

I'll decide that in 3 years. But I was already NOT going to be buying another Tesla due to Battery/Charge-Gate unless they Tesla came to their senses by the time it was time for me to make that decision. If they come to their senses or are forced to as a result of the class action, then I'd consider only a used Raven P100DL originally purchased prior to todays warranty change.

I'll decide that in 3 years. But I was already NOT going to be buying another Tesla due to Battery/Charge-Gate unless they Tesla came to their senses by the time it was time for me to make that decision. If they come to their senses or are forced to as a result of the class action, then I'd consider only a used Raven P100DL originally purchased prior to todays warranty change.

Well, don't know what future warranty will look like, but here's an old screen of battery warranty comparisons a few years ago.

hHfmm8w.png

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If I don't buy another Tesla, I'll buy a C8 Z06 as my next commuter.

Well, based on this generic Li-ion battery testing, despite the 100K mile warranty, you can expect battery to last 300k miles. Look up Tesloop and it seems they got 300K miles since the last battery replacement.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

So, from figure 6, charging to 75% (first case of 60% DOD is based on charging up to 85%)... you will still have 90% capacity at the end of the est miles shown. With your commuting needs of 200 miles, would be best if you have home and work charging (so you will be recharging after 33% DOD instead of 65% DOD)

upload_2020-2-1_23-47-28.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
Well, based on this generic Li-ion battery testing, despite the 100K mile warranty, you can expect battery to last 300k miles. Look up Tesloop and it seems they got 300K miles since the last battery replacement.
Doesn't mean much. Plenty of folks with all Models of Teslas have had their battery packs replaced for one reason or another and WAY before 300K miles.

As for Tesloop, for the vehicle at Tesloop’s Tesla Model S Surpasses 400,000 miles (643,737 kM) — Tesloop
"The Model S has had its high voltage battery replaced twice under warranty at 194,000 and 324,000 miles."

Battery Survey « Plug In America is some data with a limited sample size and I'm not clear if people are updating their vehicle info. Battery Survey « Plug In America is a snapshot from 2017.

On our Tesla Account page, the battery warranty that is displayed is the new warranty document, which states that document doesn't apply to our vehicle. Doesn't appear Tesla is providing access to our actual battery warranty document on the Tesla Account pages.

Since Tesla never specified the amount of degradation that would trigger a warranty replacement, they could retroactively specify: "Battery capacity is warranted for at least 70% during the first 150K miles".

Or they could give owners of vehicles not covered by the new warranty the option to accept the new warranty terms, with the limit of 150K miles, in exchange for getting a clear specification of the 70% capacity trigger for a replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Agreed, and it looks like they’ve already corrected it. The warranty doc linked in my Tesla account now says:

Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

B931917-F-AFF5-4660-AB24-DCD9050442-C5.jpg

The effective date on the cover page is January 29, 2020
I noticed this but I have a question:.....it reads in part, "Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.” the effective date is 29 Jan 20

My Model S was ordered on 22 Oct 19 and delivered on 30 Jan 2020.....does that mean I have the old warranty?......putting deposit on 21 Oct 10 could be considered a contract based on that date and falls within the stated dates......

One other thought....Tesla says “purchased”......does that mean the same as “ordered”