Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery warranty terms for new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Saw this in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own.

Looks like no more unlimited mile warranty and includes the 70% degradation rules like the Model 3.

Obviously only for new car purchases from Tesla, not retroactive.

Too bad, that was a pretty nice perk for buying an S over a 3

Model S and Model X – 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 150,000 miles , whichever comes first).

Screenshot_20200130-094104_Chrome.jpg

Interesting, but I always figured this was inevitable. The unlimited mile warranty was a big deal in getting early adopters to leap and a necessary short-term liability for Tesla, but I imagine it's unsustainable in the long term.

Another reason I'll be keeping my S as long as I can - at ~35k miles/year that unlimited mileage warranty has great value to me.

Interesting, but I always figured this was inevitable. The unlimited mile warranty was a big deal in getting early adopters to leap and a necessary short-term liability for Tesla, but I imagine it's unsustainable in the long term.

Another reason I'll be keeping my S as long as I can - at ~35k miles/year that unlimited mileage warranty has great value to me.
Agreed 100% and the same reason I'll be keeping mine for a while although at the back of my head I keep thinking that if the price of a 100 Kwh battery drops to a reasonable amount (say less than $5K) in 5 years as an example, perhaps upgrade my 75D battery to that. I wonder how feasible that may be. :)

Why do they specifically call out the original 60kwh model? Seems like they should also include that all the other batteries had unlimited miles previously (or not include the comment about the original 60)?
Agreed, and it looks like they’ve already corrected it. The warranty doc linked in my Tesla account now says:

Model S and Model X - 8 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period. Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.

B931917-F-AFF5-4660-AB24-DCD9050442-C5.jpg

The effective date on the cover page is January 29, 2020

Kinda odd in light of Tesla/Elon’s claim of an impending million mile battery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suspect this warranty revision was made specifically due to the impending million mile battery coming. Tesla will now have a new selling point for people to upgrade to their new cars and battery packs once they start selling. After all, what good is a million mile battery warranty if your current car has an infinite mile warranty?

I suspect this warranty revision was made specifically due to the impending million mile battery coming. Tesla will now have a new selling point for people to upgrade to their new cars and battery packs once they start selling. After all, what good is a million mile battery warranty if your current car has an infinite mile warranty?

But the infinite mile warranty is capped by 8 years. How many people drive 125,000 miles a year?

I was seriously considering buying a new Long Range S, but now i most probably just keep my late 2014 S85 for years to come.
Tesla thought of that already and has instituted EMMC and BMS protocols to frustrate you out of using your car too long...

Kinda odd in light of Tesla/Elon’s claim of an impending million mile battery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When they change it back silently again, maybe that will mean they have started shipping the new million mile batteries.

Is there a link anywhere to the pre January 2020 warranty? I'd prefer to actually have that/print it out for my files. Not saying I dont trust Elon at his word on things.....but Im saying...
Sure, there are some copies via Wayback Machine.

People should Hate dead links? Do your duty! Submit URLs to archive.org! - My Nissan Leaf Forum. It also helps for historical records.

There is an upside to this new warranty. There's finally a capacity warranty for S and X. Prior to that, there wasn't one.