Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery warranty terms for new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S was ordered on 22 Oct 19 and delivered on 30 Jan 2020.....does that mean I have the old warranty?......putting deposit on 21 Oct 10 could be considered a contract based on that date and falls within the stated dates......

One other thought....Tesla says “purchased”......does that mean the same as “ordered”

I'm pretty sure "date of purchase" refers to the day that you signed the paperwork and took delivery/title of the car.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I noticed this but I have a question:.....it reads in part, "Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.” the effective date is 29 Jan 20

My Model S was ordered on 22 Oct 19 and delivered on 30 Jan 2020.....does that mean I have the old warranty?......putting deposit on 21 Oct 10 could be considered a contract based on that date and falls within the stated dates......

One other thought....Tesla says “purchased”......does that mean the same as “ordered”

I’m not a lawyer, but I would think the date would be the date you (or the bank) paid in full and completed motor vehicle purchase agreement.

either way you’re close enough to the change that it would be worth getting a clarification from Tesla in writing.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I'm pretty sure "date of purchase" refers to the day that you signed the paperwork and took delivery/title of the car.
This is an interesting point though and needs a little unpacking - as it’s reasonable to assume your decision to purchase may have been based on the terms present at the time of ordering. I’d be livid if something fundamental like that changed between order and delivery (with nothing more than an unannounced website change to make me aware).

According to Electrek... https://electrek.co/2020/02/02/tesla-model-s-x-warranty-70-capacity-150k-mile/

Tesla has updated their warranty coverage for Model S and X cars, and it’s a mixed bag for owners. The warranty now explicitly covers battery degradation and capacity loss, guaranteeing that the battery will retain 70% capacity through the warranty period. But Tesla also removed their famous “infinite mile warranty” for battery and drive unit and replaced it with a limit of 150,000 miles – still plenty high for most (but not all) scenarios, but not “infinite.”

More controversially, Tesla explicitly stated that “changes to the performance of the Battery due to software updates are NOT covered” under warranty, likely due to a situation last year where some owners saw sudden range drops after an update. Those sudden range drops actually resulted in a class action lawsuit. Tesla responded stating that the update was done to protect the battery packs. In the full new warranty document, Tesla says that sometimes the car will get “updates to protect and improve Battery longevity.” These updates, if they result in “noticeable changes” to the battery, are not covered by the capacity warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
According to Electrek... https://electrek.co/2020/02/02/tesla-model-s-x-warranty-70-capacity-150k-mile/

Tesla has updated their warranty coverage for Model S and X cars, and it’s a mixed bag for owners. The warranty now explicitly covers battery degradation and capacity loss, guaranteeing that the battery will retain 70% capacity through the warranty period. But Tesla also removed their famous “infinite mile warranty” for battery and drive unit and replaced it with a limit of 150,000 miles – still plenty high for most (but not all) scenarios, but not “infinite.”

More controversially, Tesla explicitly stated that “changes to the performance of the Battery due to software updates are NOT covered” under warranty, likely due to a situation last year where some owners saw sudden range drops after an update. Those sudden range drops actually resulted in a class action lawsuit. Tesla responded stating that the update was done to protect the battery packs. In the full new warranty document, Tesla says that sometimes the car will get “updates to protect and improve Battery longevity.” These updates, if they result in “noticeable changes” to the battery, are not covered by the capacity warranty.

Would this at least imply that we can expect cars sold BEFORE this change to have some form of warranty for excess performance degradation?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Kinda odd in light of Tesla/Elon’s claim of an impending million mile battery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Agree 100%, and yet another Tesla disappointment.

Elon could have really made an impact here by at least going to 200,000 miles. Capping it at 150,000 miles after so much talk of "currently designed for 500,000 mile durability and aiming for 1,000,000 miles soon" [paraphrased] is just embarrassing.

Come on Elon, AT LEAST TAKE IT TO 200,000 miles for the S, X and CT!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and kavyboy
According to Electrek... Tesla now covers degradation in Model S/X warranty - but leaves software loophole - Electrek

This is a real shame, as the ‘spirit’ under which the cars were originally sold - supercharge enough to continue your journey in around 20-30 minutes - no longer applies

This is fine for a lot of people, as they they charge at home for 95% of the time, but for when you are on a road trip of any duration, excess time spent waiting to charge is unwelcome

This is bad form in my opinion, and I wish Tesla had been more up front about it

I have stopped recommending the cars to my friends until this is sorted out, as I don’t like being made to look like a liar

Reactions: kavyboy
I drive 50K miles a year commuting. I placed my order the day after the unlimited mileage warranty was announced. I'd never have owned a Tesla had it not been for that. Limiting it to 150K is a deal breaker for any future Tesla purchases.

NA.

Just buy a very early 2020 or earlier Tesla as a used car--you're covered! Best to buy one soon as they may become a hotter used car value as word gets out though . . . .

(I wonder if inventory cars will count if delivered after 1 Feb 2020?)

I noticed this but I have a question:.....it reads in part, "Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.” the effective date is 29 Jan 20

First, how is it that it took longer than 3 months for your new MS to be delivered?

Second, yours is an interesting case. You entered into a contract (since the $100 isn't refundable) last year. You did so base on the information you had before you at that time, and with the expectation that Tesla would act in good faith. This warranty change SHOULD be considered an after-the-fact change that you did NOT agree to, so my non-lawyer position is that the old warranty terms apply to your situation.

I would let this settle out for a few days, then send a FedEx or USPS Certified letter to Tesla's legal counsel asking for an explanation as to what warranty coverage you can expect in the remaining eight years--do this while it's all current as several years from now it will be MUCH harder.

Agree 100%, and yet another Tesla disappointment.

Elon could have really made an impact here by at least going to 200,000 miles. Capping it at 150,000 miles after so much talk of "currently designed for 500,000 mile durability and aiming for 1,000,000 miles soon" [paraphrased] is just embarrassing.

Come on Elon, AT LEAST TAKE IT TO 200,000 miles for the S, X and CT!

Looks like everyone else is just going up to 100k miles, so covering to 150k miles is all Tesla needs to offer to be above the rest. Maybe when others offer 150k, Tesla will increase to 200k or 250k.

I think the warranty document is part of the packet of things you sign at delivery, so he would have agreed to it.

Disagree.

He and Tesla were in a contractual obligation by dint of his initial, non-refundable deposit last year.

Tesla can make changes at anytime, but I posit that he's retroactively covered, especially since one could argue that Tesla had the obligation to inform buyers of such major changes. Instead, it was buried in the fine print, and others had to find and publicize it . . .

Tacky, at best.

Disagree.

He and Tesla were in a contractual obligation by dint of his initial, non-refundable deposit last year.

Tesla can make changes at anytime, but I posit that he's retroactively covered, especially since one could argue that Tesla had the obligation to inform buyers of such major changes. Instead, it was buried in the fine print, and others had to find and publicize it . . .

Tacky, at best.
that is going to be my argument......especially since there was no communication to change the contract.....my deposit was made on 21 Oct and approved on 22 Oct.....

Interesting, but I always figured this was inevitable. The unlimited mile warranty was a big deal in getting early adopters to leap and a necessary short-term liability for Tesla, but I imagine it's unsustainable in the long term.

Another reason I'll be keeping my S as long as I can - at ~35k miles/year that unlimited mileage warranty has great value to me.

Definitely especially now that they are doing so well. You will continue to see more warranties limited from miles, yrs, etc. No other manufacturer would ever offer these warranties as standard. Eventually you will be paying for all your warranties after 30k-50k miles just like other manufacturers do. Unless of course Tesla needs to compete with other manufacturers or goes thru a slump .
Future Note: Tesla just change the warranties back and even added an extra year to the 4yr extended warranty as it is now 5 yrs! Due to an unexpected poor quarter earnings JK. But this is how they work constantly changing prices etc. Hard to keep up after awhile lol

They will continue to lower the allotted miles as range continues to increase as well as charging time decreases. Since more owners will drive them on long distance trip adding more miles to the average Tesla yearly

Last edited:
According to Electrek... Tesla now covers degradation in Model S/X warranty - but leaves software loophole - Electrek

Wow I really don’t like that last part. I was just getting ready to order a new Raven and that really changes my decision as I am not a fan of their updates to begin with. Yes they can be convenient but most of the time they only have caused more issues in my personal experience.
I really think there needs to be better regulations on Tesla and what they decide or are able to determine what’s best for the battery. These things are always a slippery slope and Tesla always likes to push things until the negative press/attention becomes too much

Last edited:
Since Tesla delivered the first Model S in 2012, Tesla's lawyers have allowed Tesla to sell vehicles and provide services with relatively few legal terms or agreements in place, compared to what the other manufacturers have for their vehicles. Plus those limited agreements were based on some assumptions that have proven incorrect.

The battery warranty didn't take into account high mileage (primarily commercial) usage, and is now being fixed. Plus the warranties weren't specific on what reduced capacity would trigger the warranty, creating a gray area where customers could potentially sue Tesla due to a difference in opinion about what should be covered.

Tesla has sold FSD without providing any definition of what that actually means. The only documentation provided (at least for AP2/AP2.5) customers is what was on Tesla's website at time of sale ("all vehicles have hardware capable of FSD, subject only to validation and regulatory approval") - and now owners of those vehicles with FSD purchased are not getting access to the latest "FSD Preview" features, without any indication from Tesla of how/when Tesla will provide those features to all vehicles with FSD activated.

And Tesla continues to have potential liability exposure when vehicles are operating under AP, EAP or FSD - if the software is proven to be the cause for the accident (even if the owner is supposed to be monitoring operation), something Tesla should probably have resolved in a written legal agreement with owners.

Tesla still hasn't provided "terms and conditions" for use of the Supercharger Network - which has created challenges in controlling access to increasingly used shared resources, which has resulted in several start-stops in Tesla's attempts to charge for refueling or parking at the spots, which are now getting some government regulations limiting Tesla's policies (now moving towards charging per KWh).

As Tesla continues to increase sales, we shouldn't be surprised to see their legal agreements to get more complicated - which other manufacturers and large companies typically have for their products.

According to Electrek... Tesla now covers degradation in Model S/X warranty — but leaves software loophole - Electrek

Ass fully covered by the change in terms.

Mercedes has the longest warranty on a part of the car of any manufacture 25 years for a part of their brake system
I'm sure there are parts of a Tesla that could have longer warranties The motors are simpler than a ICE motor and less moving parts.

Mercedes New SBC Warranty Extension 25 Years, Unlimited Mileage. ... They're extending the warranty coverage under a special service campaign to 25 years / Unlimited Mileage. Sensotronic brake control is like a partial Brake by Wire braking system with some mechanical/hydraulic redundancy in case of failure.