Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New/Better Subwoofer for Tesla Model Y!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks good. I did similar in my S with the NVX sub earlier this year. And have had several SC visits (including MCU upgrade) with not a word from the techs.

The NVX sub kit for the S included everything. Wires, connectors, etc. And several youtube vids show exactly how to install. 12V was obtained from under the hood right at the battery.
I had emailed the sales team yesterday they informed it’s in production for MY and will be available in next 60 days! Wow. Please email them to show support! @akballow

Attachments

• 38445FFD-EA44-4F88-A690-BE1ED77EB3AB.png
    38445FFD-EA44-4F88-A690-BE1ED77EB3AB.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Ahh those days when I would put two Alpine Type-R 12's in the back of my Honda Prelude and actually thought all the rattling was cool and soothing to the ears.

Thank goodness my current Playlist with likes of Hans Zimmer will not require such magnitude of low frequency...
I remember those days! I also had a 2001 Prelude back in the day. You were probably part of Preludeonline I assume?

Any update on the sound? Is there a significant difference that makes it worth the trouble?
I just finished comparing the stock enclosure with the the 8W3 to two 10TW3. I can say there is a difference from stock to 8W3. I tested Selena Gomez Same Old Love track, I can hear and feel it kick pretty noticeably. Not earth shattering with some background coming from 12W6s and 12W7s in my Civic Hatchback back in the days. But for what’s it’s worth if you are looking to not build a box, it’s much better than stock for sure.

Now to my two TW3, using same amp it hits significantly for dang sure. Not to the point my Broadway real view mirror folding downward like it did in my Civic hatchback.

my two cent I like how the 8W3 sounds, maybe I just need to fine tune my 10TW3s.

Hope that helps you make your decision.

Last edited:
By just swapping in a 'better speaker' you run the risk of messing with the stability of the 12 volt system..... ....if you don't also do some power management too....it might get interesting... remember, you're driving a computer not a Prelude. Some folks have noted that the system seems to turn the volume down during heavy bass sections of music - possibly to avoid brownouts from the stock audio system.

I want to know this too following. I think the built in subwoofers are excellent, surprised people are looking to upgrade it??

Honestly IMO the built-in stock sub is pretty good after comparing it to the upgrades I just did. For the average Tesla 3/Y owners, the stock is plenty. For some of us, we just want more. I am just a fan of JL Audio and always had subs in all my cars. For the 8W3, it's not earth-shattering better but it's noticeably better, it may be not worth the upgrade for many of you.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I want to know this too following. I think the built in subwoofers are excellent, surprised people are looking to upgrade it??

Customizing vehicles is just that, people like different things. Vehicles can be a reflection of their owner and what they enjoy. Be it shiny vs dull finish, stock wheels vs 22”, stock paint vs wrap, or even stock stereo vs more low end.

When you get addicted to feeling your music there is no going back. Doesn’t mean the sound is more true to the artist’s intention, it is just a different way to enjoy music.

Reactions: Justin27 and DennyL
IMO after testing for more couple hours, Yes do the upgrade and pair it with a good amp. It sound and kicks much better than stock. One thing to note it rattles like heck when I turn it up, so sound dampening is highly recommended.
The JL 10TW3 in a sealed enclosure requires about the same volume as a 8W3 in a ported enclosure. Wonder if a 10" bracket could fit the OEM enclosure. 🤔

Man. Is it just me? What is your EQ's at? I feel like the tesla sound system doesn't have good mid tones and there's no middle ground of the perfect treble. It's either too muted or too high pitched

I have my surround sound on auto.

I still have the light harmonics speaker I plan on installing soon to see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: Justin27