Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New blended brake feature not present on 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a relatively new 2022 M3P (built November 2021), I didn't have the update either. Was puzzled at first but then I read this:

"According to @greentheonly, this feature is only available on limited Model 3s and Model Ys with specfic hardware. It's possible that Tesla is testing out the feature on very limited hardware or specific vehicles before making it available more broadly in a future update."

So Tesla wants to put in a feature that now will cause brake wear?

No. If your regen is normal (battery not too full, not too cold) then no brakes will be applied for you. If your regen is limited, for the same deceleration you would normally need to press your brake pedal yourself. The new feature is that the car will apply that proportion of brakes itself so you can continue to drive one-pedal.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I see how that could be helpful with a full battery but having it apply my brakes doesn't help me with one pedal driving, I can apply the brakes myself when I know regenerative braking isn't working. So I'm confused as to the point. Is it because people are creatures of habit and would forget to apply the brakes?

So I'm confused as to the point. Is it because people are creatures of habit and would forget to apply the brakes?
Yep. People are used to being able to just release the go pedal and it stops them in x distance. If regen is limited because of SoC/temperature they can end up running in to things because regen didn't perform as expected. I thought I heard that it would be an option you could turn on, but since we haven't actually seen it on any vehicles who knows how it will work. (Assuming it is ever actually made public.)

Right, it's supposed to be an option. No one on TMC has that option yet so we'll see.

My opinion is that expected behaviors are important. As humans we have reflexes that are influenced by that, we learn and adapt. Changes in behaviors that were the same for months and suddenly are different are significant enough that they can cause trouble. I have never had an accident because of no regen, and it seems you're fast enough that it isn't a problem for you either, but it could be for many people.

Reactions: BigNick and MP3Mike
I have never had an accident because of no regen, and it seems you're fast enough that it isn't a problem for you either, but it could be for many people.
People certainly are creatures of habit and why I see so many use turn signals in the middle of the night when no one is around, and why people don't use turn signals merging with on ramps or changing lanes on the highway. lol

I might turn on this braking feature is some situations but not many. When the battery cells are cold enough, there are dots or the center screen warns of reduced regen, I gauge regen strength and compensate as required. What I do first, especially if no one is behind me, is lift my foot off the go-pedal much sooner than normal. If Tesla chooses to have the stopping distance/force about the same in all cases, that probably would interfere with how I drive with reduce regen (ie.. more brake wear/less efficient). That said, it could be of benefit to other drivers not as familiar and would like it defaulted to enabled for other drivers (maybe this could be handle in the driver profile). The programmers at Tesla could not know that I am fine with significantly less braking distance. The only time I have been somewhat caught off guard regarding stopping distance is after having my tires rotated. Had great regen 30 minutes prior and NONE after departing the tire shop. I accelerated quickly to get out into considerable traffic and needed to make a left turn almost immediately. It took about a half a second to react and apply the physical brakes. That is when I discovered the car is HEAVY despite being very nimble. Maybe the line that currently shows regen level could be GREEN for the portion of motor regen braking force and RED for the physical brake portion. The bar color would not have to be red but my brain would process a long red bar as brake wear; likewise, any red would be an indication the physical brakes were being applied by a car computer.

So Tesla wants to put in a feature that now will cause brake wear? Glad mine won't get it

I understand what you are saying but again, I could just apply the brakes myself. It's not rocket science.

Um, if you apply the brakes yourself it'll cause brake wear - just as it would if the computer had pushed the brake pedal for you. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I see how that could be helpful with a full battery but having it apply my brakes doesn't help me with one pedal driving, I can apply the brakes myself when I know regenerative braking isn't working. So I'm confused as to the point. Is it because people are creatures of habit and would forget to apply the brakes?
I think it is to maintain a consistent "no pedals applied" experience of deceleration regardless of temperature or SoC that would affect these things. Not all Tesla drivers are fully aware of these factors. Think of it as a "novice mode" to avoid causing "my brakes failed!" type of panic.

For a driver who has never experienced sudden loss of regenerative braking, it can feel like "the car accelerated on its own" when you're expecting it to slow down. It didn't accelerate, you just got -0.05G of braking instead of -0.2G.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I understand what you are saying but again, I could just apply the brakes myself. It's not rocket science.
Next you’re going to declare we should also steer our own cars, press the accelerator, or change lanes ourselves. That’s just medieval and I won’t be any part of it!

But seriously, having the car’s system keep a very consistent driving experience is a pretty good thing.