Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New blind spot monitor!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cruising down a local avenue last night, I decided to change lanes. I turned on my turn signal and looked over my shoulder and started moving to the left. The guy next to me honked so hard he startled me and I turned back to my lane. He gave me the finger as he passed me:confused:. Honestly, it was pitch black I didn’t see the car at all.
So now, is “honk and a finger” the blind-spot monitor for this high tech car with 8 cameras and don’t know how many radars? Is Tesla waiting to fully implement FSD to roll out this very basic safety feature?

Cruising down a local avenue last night, I decided to change lanes. I turned on my turn signal and looked over my shoulder and started moving to the left. The guy next to me honked so hard he startled me and I turned back to my lane. He gave me the finger as he passed me:confused:. Honestly, it was pitch black I didn’t see the car at all.
So now, is “honk and a finger” the blind-spot monitor for this high tech car with 8 cameras and don’t know how many radars? Is Tesla waiting to fully implement FSD to roll out this very basic safety feature?
If you have blind spots - you are using your mirrors wrong (hint; what's the purpose of seeing the sides of your own car in the side mirrors? To make sure you're still driving it?)

If you have blind spots - you are using your mirrors wrong (hint; what's the purpose of seeing the sides of your own car in the side mirrors? To make sure you're still driving it?)
The purpose of slightly seeing your own car is when backing up into tight areas or passing tight corners. To be able to do that safety you need to see your rear part in your side mirrors.

BUT anyway even with the mirrors correctly adjusted, you should be able to see cars next to you.

Blind spot detection will probably be implemented later as a part of head up display.

So now, is “honk and a finger” the blind-spot monitor for this high tech car with 8 cameras and don’t know how many radars?

One problem is, Teslas only have one radar. A German premium would have had rear corner radars that would have seen the car.

AP2's side repeater cameras will eventually be able to help - someday. Maybe not in complete darkness if the other one is driving without lights, but in most scenarios it will help eventually. The cameras currently do nothing but log some events for Tesla's (legal) benefit...

The ultrasonics AP1 and AP2 currently use for this function are useless in high-speed ranges, potentially unreliable and with sub-par range for the purpose. But it is possible your instrument cluster screen showed yellow warning "beams/waves" on the side of the car. Those are unreliable, though, and even when they work IMO Tesla doesn't have sufficient warnings for this - the graphics on the screen are not very clear warnings if you don't especially look for them...

On the Germans, you can't miss a blind-spot warning. You will see it in time... on a Tesla, as things stand, not so much.

um set your mirrors correctly, boom, no blind spot. Go to YouTube search setting rear view mirrors correctly.

You will utterly amazed and wondering why this is not taught to every driver.

Cheers

Agreed, once I set up my mirrors correctly it has been a totally different world. It takes a few days to get used to, but it's well worth it. That being said, I wouldn't mind a secondary reminder and it seems like something Tesla could add fairly easily to AP2 cars.... eventually.

Reactions: croman

On AP 1 so I am still waiting for the update.

The blind spot monitor of AP2 doesn't currently use the cameras. It's solely reliant on the ultrasonic sensors, and those of us with AP1 know that they suck.

Hopefully you AP2 owners will get an update soon that enables the cameras to be used for side monitoring. In the AP 2.0 capabilities forum they have shown what they see in darkness. It's actually not bad at all.

One problem is, Teslas only have one radar. A German premium would have had rear corner radars that would have seen the car.

AP2's side repeater cameras will eventually be able to help - someday. Maybe not in complete darkness if the other one is driving without lights, but in most scenarios it will help eventually. The cameras currently do nothing but log some events for Tesla's (legal) benefit...

The ultrasonics AP1 and AP2 currently use for this function are useless in high-speed ranges, potentially unreliable and with sub-par range for the purpose. But it is possible your instrument cluster screen showed yellow warning "beams/waves" on the side of the car. Those are unreliable, though, and even when they work IMO Tesla doesn't have sufficient warnings for this - the graphics on the screen are not very clear warnings if you don't especially look for them...

On the Germans, you can't miss a blind-spot warning. You will see it in time... on a Tesla, as things stand, not so much.

The wide angle HD rear view camera installed on all Tesla's, even ones without AP, eliminates blind spot. I am driving my classic P85+ with HD wide angle rear view camera on and it completely covers blind spot. If you do not see car in the HD rear view camera, it is already on the side of your car and visible without mirrors. So all Tesla cars functionally cover blind spot. I find it more ergonomic to look at the top of the center screen when changing lanes, rather into the side view mirrors.

So based on my personal experience of driving classic MS for more than 4 years and 83,000 miles, the hysteria about the blind spot monitoring in Tesla cars is just that - hysteria.

As far as I am concerned, monitoring adjacent lanes via HD wide angle rear view camera on the top of center screen is superior to what is offered "on the Germans"