Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New blind spot monitor!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it on good authority that Tesla is working on a mini drone that can be recharged via wireless power transmission (finally Nikolai Tesla's dreams come true). The drone will be able to follow the vehicle at various preset height/distance and will magnetically dock to the vehicle near the rear hatch when turned off.

It will be able to provide a truly spectacular over-head view, surpassing all existing technologies. Existing automotive companies will be playing catch-up for years!

This type of drone already made its debut on the SyFy series Stargate Universe :D

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
The moving pavement on the screen does not bother me, since I do not look at the screen except when changing the lanes, and then I focus on the top portion of it. The human mind is a tricky thing, if we know that something might bother us, we tend to do it, and then, of course, it bothers us. :) The key is resist the urge to check whether whatever we think *might* bother us is indeed bothers us. :D

Long story short, I am using the HD rear view camera for 4 years and 83,000 miles, and am very happy with the confidence it gives me on the road. It is way higher for me than using any other method. The key is that I not only know that **something** is **somewhere** in my blind spot, but actually know what it is and the exact position.

For range improvement, have you removed the rear-view mirrors from your car? Do you have plans to do so? I guess if your state has mandatory inspections you couldn't get away with it. When I lived in TN we could drive a rolling trash can as long as it had a license plate on it...

• Funny
Reactions: JQS3
Cruising down a local avenue last night, I decided to change lanes. I turned on my turn signal and looked over my shoulder and started moving to the left. The guy next to me honked so hard he startled me and I turned back to my lane. He gave me the finger as he passed me:confused:. Honestly, it was pitch black I didn’t see the car at all.
So now, is “honk and a finger” the blind-spot monitor for this high tech car with 8 cameras and don’t know how many radars? Is Tesla waiting to fully implement FSD to roll out this very basic safety feature?
I keep hearing about version 2018.39 which will have the blind spot monitor. I agree with you that the sophistication of this $100k+ car should offer these basic safety features. If nothing else, Tesla should use technology that is currently being used by all other manufacturers.

The wide angle HD rear view camera installed on all Tesla's, even ones without AP, eliminates blind spot. I am driving my classic P85+ with HD wide angle rear view camera on and it completely covers blind spot. If you do not see car in the HD rear view camera, it is already on the side of your car and visible without mirrors. So all Tesla cars functionally cover blind spot. I find it more ergonomic to look at the top of the center screen when changing lanes, rather into the side view mirrors.

So based on my personal experience of driving classic MS for more than 4 years and 83,000 miles, the hysteria about the blind spot monitoring in Tesla cars is just that - hysteria.

As far as I am concerned, monitoring adjacent lanes via HD wide angle rear view camera on the top of center screen is superior to what is offered "on the Germans"
Try driving the MX with a 5 or 7 seat configuration. The middle seat's headrest in the 2nd row blocks the rear view mirror. It's just unavoidable.

Try driving the MX with a 5 or 7 seat configuration. The middle seat's headrest in the 2nd row blocks the rear view mirror. It's just unavoidable.

The new 7 seater has MUCH smaller headrest in the middle row. Practically no obstruction.

Attachments

• 31567D3D-55D5-4639-9470-2D115BAB68FB.jpeg
    31567D3D-55D5-4639-9470-2D115BAB68FB.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Our family is on both sides of BSM preference: my daughter uses the camera view to visualize blind spots, and I'm an old-school mirrors-and-a-glance driver. But I've tried the camera view, and I think it's a great option... you just have to commit to a new technique. I agree: if the car next to you isn't in the camera view, then it's visible in your peripheral vision. This wide angle view means that judgement of the distance to rearward traffic is skewed, however, so that's another aspect of learning how best to use the camera view for BSM and safe lane changes (without pissing off other drivers).

We're both disappointed that the new v9 firmware reserves the top of the display for Nav, forcing the camera display to the bottom of the screen. It's a small change, but noticeable... your eyes have to travel further from your driving line-of-sight.

I have the latest 7 seater and the headrest is no problem. Still, I rely more on the rear view camera than the mirror. Bot only is it clearer, but it has a wider field of view - exactly 180 degrees side to side.

@OP you get the award for click bait of the month

i agree with you though. i don't know why it's so hard to put the side mirrors with the illuminating little triangle that we've had forever on our other cars. they took the steering wheel stalks from mercedes suppliers, just need to take the side mirrors too. not that hard. and they are 100% reliable and so easy to see.

The moving pavement on the screen does not bother me, since I do not look at the screen except when changing the lanes, and then I focus on the top portion of it. The human mind is a tricky thing, if we know that something might bother us, we tend to do it, and then, of course, it bothers us. :) The key is resist the urge to check whether whatever we think *might* bother us is indeed bothers us. :D

Long story short, I am using the HD rear view camera for 4 years and 83,000 miles, and am very happy with the confidence it gives me on the road. It is way higher for me than using any other method. The key is that I not only know that **something** is **somewhere** in my blind spot, but actually know what it is and the exact position.
Agree, based on 90,000 of tesla driving.

V9 blind spot monitoring is absolutely fantastic. I’ve had the normal little lights in the wing mirrors before, but this gives you so much more information. AP is also a lot better at changing lanes and when you’re driving manually it does give you a red line warning as well. I would just ask Tesla to maybe add a beep an option when driving manually.

V9 blind spot monitoring is absolutely fantastic. I’ve had the normal little lights in the wing mirrors before, but this gives you so much more information. AP is also a lot better at changing lanes and when you’re driving manually it does give you a red line warning as well. I would just ask Tesla to maybe add a beep an option when driving manually.

Agreed, a beep or a vibration of the steering wheel would be very useful and completely overcome the lack of wing mirror lights.