Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Blog: Driving Range for Model S Family....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This-285 at 65mph? Has anyone done this in a regular S?
or is this a new # based on a lower weight S?
Thats one of them that got me confused.

strangely the range calculator actually shows the P85D to be more efficient than the standard D in norwegian winter conditions. So if this is correct this is christmas all over again:confused:

edit: off-topic I do appreciate the irony that the range-page is headed by a picture of a green model s:rolleyes:

This-285 at 65mph? Has anyone done this in a regular S?
or is this a new # based on a lower weight S?

I've never tried it using full range, but have beat rated range at times going 65 in my old S85 with 19s. Of course, the conditions of weather, temp, traffic, etc. must be right...and those conditions aren't super-common.

The actual numbers here are less important than the relative values. This shows basically that all of the 85s are enough in the ballpark with each other (once the torque sleep update comes) that there shouldn't be significant issues.

For those wondering about the new, higher numbers...never forget that Tesla is ALWAYS innovating and thus improving the car. What we have today is not what we'll have tomorrow, or next month, or next year. I realize this is a new concept for most - a car that improves with age.

For those wondering about the new, higher numbers...never forget that Tesla is ALWAYS innovating and thus improving the car. What we have today is not what we'll have tomorrow, or next month, or next year. I realize this is a new concept for most - a car that improves with age.

...but what about those even better numbers that were mentioned earlier for certain driving scenarios? Any speculation on why those have been removed?

Thats one of them that got me confused.

strangely the range calculator actually shows the P85D to be more efficient than the standard D in norwegian winter conditions. So if this is correct this is christmas all over again:confused:

edit: off-topic I do appreciate the irony that the range-page is headed by a picture of a green model s:rolleyes:

I got some very strange numbers from the range calculator. I think there are some bugs in it yet. According to the tool, at 0 deg F, 65 mph, with heat on, I will get 291 miles range in my P85D. Hmmm.....

I got some very strange numbers from the range calculator. I think there are some bugs in it yet. According to the tool, at 0 deg F, 65 mph, with heat on, I will get 291 miles range in my P85D. Hmmm.....

Yep... They have the speed dial reversed. The numbers on the outer edge of dial don't match the number displayed in the middle of the dial. If you disregard the numbers on the outer edge of the dial, it seems to give plausible results.

Are the standard 19" Wheels as efficient as the 19" Cyclone Wheels?
Yeah, I wondered about that too, and so did various people commenting on the blog page itself. The next question, of course, is: if the 19" Cyclones really are the ne plus ultra of efficiency, what's the quantitative difference vs. the base wheels?

I'll bet the answer is "precious little" and the writer's main point was simply that the 19s and base tires are more efficient than 21s with performance tires. Although given the context, it would be a strange oversight for him not to realize his audience is carefully parsing every real or imagined nuance of the article.

hmm.. I now know 100% for certain that that calculator today on an ipad after having a couple of maybe a bit to big single malts isnt the best combination. The numbers seem totally crazy:)

Kurgerrand: None of this discussion matters in the grand scheme of things, of course. Much of the stuff discussed on enthusiast forums doesn't.

But if Tesla indeed has scaled back a little on initial hubris/range estimations, that would be counter your idea that Tesla is always improving. Sometimes they might have to take a step back, as part of the same agile give and take that allows them to make more improvements as well - and that might be worth pointing out, if so. No?

When 85D and P85D were announced, it was reported that "Tesla announced Thursday that the all-wheel-drive versions of its Model S electric car will manage a slight increase in range of about 10 miles on a charge vs. the rear-drive models". There was even talk of 285 miles (not EPA of course).

Has that changed or just left out?

- - - Updated - - -

To answer myself: The 285 miles part is still there in the 65 mph segment.

But if Tesla indeed has scaled back a little on initial hubris/range estimations, that would be counter your idea that Tesla is always improving. Sometimes they might have to take a step back, as part of the same agile give and take that allows them to make more improvements as well - and that might be worth pointing out, if so. No?

It's not counter at all. You're cherry picking, purposely forgetting everything else that has come before, even the fact that the Model S now comes with AWD and didn't just a few months ago. All of it is improvement. When they implement a new chemistry and the range goes up, then what will you say?

Wait and see. As has been shown time and again, a little patience goes a long way in getting answers from Tesla. :wink:

Yeah, I wondered about that too, and so did various people commenting on the blog page itself. The next question, of course, is: if the 19" Cyclones really are the ne plus ultra of efficiency, what's the quantitative difference vs. the base wheels?

I'll bet the answer is "precious little" and the writer's main point was simply that the 19s and base tires are more efficient than 21s with performance tires. Although given the context, it would be a strange oversight for him not to realize his audience is carefully parsing every real or imagined nuance of the article.

The exact wording is "The 19" Cyclone wheel and tire that we offer on most of our vehicles is the best configuration for range, efficiency and cost effectiveness."

I think it makes sense that the 19" cyclones are more efficient than the base 19" due to less open gaps. But it's odd that he used the phrase "cost effectiveness" as the cyclones are a $2500 option over the base wheels.

It's not counter at all. You're cherry picking, purposely forgetting everything else that has come before, even the fact that the Model S now comes with AWD and didn't just a few months ago. All of it is improvement. When they implement a new chemistry and the range goes up, then what will you say?

I have no desire in cherrypicking anything other than my future Tesla's from an otherwise pool grey world of boring ICE cars from other manufacturers. :) I'm a huge fan of the Tesla Model S and the vision of the company.

If anything, I dislike glossing over things. When they check out, I'm more than ready to move onto the next thing. The 285 number, for example, is still there and I updated the post above. It's comparison to P85 has changed, so it doesn't look quite as attractive and such things remain to be seen, but when something checks out, I'm not trying to hide it or make it sound worse than it is. Goes for the negative and the positive.

Well, I find this wonderful news... A new mode coming within 30+ days.

Also a new range calculator....

You can change Day or Night Modes in the calculator.
Also 21" wheels or 19"
Also windows open or closed.
P85D or 85D

With the P85D, 21", Daytime, Windows Closed, 70 Degrees, 65 MPH, the distance is.... 250 Miles.
If I were to slow down to 60 MPH the distance is.... 271
Going Slower at 50 MPH gets ya... 315 (on the back roads of CT with the twists and turns... this is the sweet average speed)
City Driving would be.... 230

That is pretty good mileage on an 85 battery in AWD as well.
And it is a performance car, Nice.

Ahh Haaa! And Another reason for me to test drive another P85D once the new
mode is released and implemented. Sweet.

(The P85D I am going to order just keeps getting... more better ;-)

Last edited:
When 85D and P85D were announced, it was reported that "Tesla announced Thursday that the all-wheel-drive versions of its Model S electric car will manage a slight increase in range of about 10 miles on a charge vs. the rear-drive models". There was even talk of 285 miles (not EPA of course).

- - - Updated - - -

To answer myself: The 285 miles part is still there in the 65 mph segment.

The official Tesla Blog, published one day after the Oct. 9 "D" event, clearly states that it is only the 85D which has enhanced efficiency overall:

Where gasoline-powered all wheel drive cars sacrifice efficiency in return for all weather traction, Tesla’s Dual Motor propulsion system actually increases efficiency while delivering exceptional traction and control in slippery conditions. By precisely splitting the delivery of current from the battery to each motor, the Model S 85D actually gains an additional 10 miles of highway driving range compared to its rear motor Model S counterpart.

Not a little, but MOST of what is written second hand by the American press (especially the business press) is distorted, misquoted, misconstrued or just dead-wrong.

Last edited:

I thought the same thing. Are the 19" Cyclone's better than the standard 19" rims? I really wish Tesla would bring back some form of efficiency rims. Even an efficiency hubcap would be very nice to have since we are fighting over every extra mile of range. Long ago one Model S owner used pizza pans to seal their wheels and seemed to get a 15% increase in range. The danger, and he was aware of it, was that the brake wouldn't cool properly. That is another extreme but there should be something that could be done. I'd think that offering something, would be better than offering nothing. It would be great to put efficiency hubcaps on when you know you are going to be driving long distances.

Well, I find this wonderful news... A new mode coming within 30+ days.

Also a new range calculator....

You can change Day or Night Modes in the calculator.
Also 21" wheels or 19"
Also windows open or closed.
P85D or 85D

With the P85D, 21", Daytime, Windows Closed, 70 Degrees, 65 MPH, the distance is.... 250 Miles.
If I were to slow down to 60 MPH the distance is.... 271
Going Slower at 50 MPH gets ya... 315 (on the back roads of CT with the twists and turns... this is the sweet average speed)
City Driving would be.... 230

That is pretty good mileage on an 85 battery in AWD as well.
And it is a performance car, Nice.

Ahh Haaa! And Another reason for me to test drive another P85D once the new
mode is released and implemented. Sweet.

(The P85D I am going to order just keeps getting... more better ;-)

Just remember that these are still estimates. If you are driving up I-95 through New Haven in a howling Nor'easter with 25 mph of wind on the nose, you are not going to see these numbers. (I was in college there). :wink: