Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Blog: Driving Range for Model S Family....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll hypothesize that the reason the P85D loses its efficiency advantage above a certain speed has to do with the need to activate the 'sleeping' rear motor above that speed. At lower speeds, in steady-state driving, the more efficient front motor is doing all the work.

I don't know why it would have to do that. At 65mph cruise you're using 25-30 hp - which is nothing for the front motor.

Maybe the greater friction losses in the rear gear motor have something to do with it?

I don't know why it would have to do that. At 65mph cruise you're using 25-30 hp - which is nothing for the front motor.

Maybe the greater friction losses in the rear gear motor have something to do with it?

Was wondering that too. If the rear motor is sleeping, then the only difference between the 85D and the P85D is the front motor (188hp vs 221hp). Is the 221hp version less efficient at higher highway speeds than the 188hp version?

One reason for the decreased performance of the P85D at higher speeds could be that it weighs more than a standard D. The differences shown in the graphs are pretty minor.

Adding weight makes a difference in start-stop driving. It makes almost zero difference at a steady speed (regardless of what the speed is). At higher speeds it's mostly wind resistance plus a bit of drive train resistance and tire rolling resistance that make up the majority of energy usage (although tire rolling resistance goes down slightly with speed).

In a software update to be released by the end of January, all D series Model S vehicles will incorporate a new energy saving feature called Torque Sleep which instantly reduces rear motor torque when not needed.

Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

Well, it's past the end of January and we haven't confirmed whether any recent update (2.2.115 or 2.2.139) contains the torque sleep software. Some service centers apparently claimed it's been going out since the weekend, but no confirmation from any P85D owner yet.

If you have any updates please feel free to post them here. Thanks!

Well, it's past the end of January and we haven't confirmed whether any recent update (2.2.115 or 2.2.139) contains the torque sleep software. Some service centers apparently claimed it's been going out since the weekend, but no confirmation from any P85D owner yet.

If you have any updates please feel free to post them here. Thanks!

In the Firmware 6.1 thread here Firmware 6.1 - Page 93

Spentan reported that there is a note about torque sleep in range mode only, and reported hearing a difference when trying it. This is in version .139.

Everyone had been saying there was nothing in the release notes, and apparently there isn't. This was kind of buried.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422946585.489104.jpg

Yup,

Range mode (i)