Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Bluetooth bug in v9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a new behavior with my iPhone X after Tesla v9 update. Lets say I was using Slacker the previous time I drove the car. When I walk up to the car next and start driving, it still plays Slacker. But on my iPhone, it triggers it to play whatever the last thing I was listening to on the phone. What is interesting is that on the Phone it says it is playing over Bluetooth to the Tesla so there is no sound coming out. The unfortunate side of this is I frequently listen to Audible when I run. So this morning it played 2 hours of my audio book without a sound so I lost my place. Previously I remember it would only trigger a play command on the phone if the phone was the source the previous time I drove.

Anyone else seeing this?

I found another issue in a Tesla loaner/rental car I had last week.
Whenever the phone would ring, I would hit the answer button on the screen, and the screen would think it had answered, but the phone would continue to ring. I had to use the steering wheel to answer it.

I'll add to this...

Start with listening to a stream on Slacker at a high volume (you'll understand in a second)...
Now place a call using your phone (connected to the car BT, obviously)...
Then exit the car and start to walk away...
When the car 'shuts off', and the call transfers to your handset, you'll hear the car start playing music again, even though it is 'off'!

This freaked me out the first time it happened!! I looked through the windows and both screens were off, but it was pounding music.

• Informative
Reactions: Russell
I'll add to this...

Start with listening to a stream on Slacker at a high volume (you'll understand in a second)...
Now place a call using your phone (connected to the car BT, obviously)...
Then exit the car and start to walk away...
When the car 'shuts off', and the call transfers to your handset, you'll hear the car start playing music again, even though it is 'off'!

This freaked me out the first time it happened!! I looked through the windows and both screens were off, but it was pounding music.

Mine has been doing this i got the car in December 2017. Nothing new here.

As soon as I step out of the car, if my phone was not playing any audio, the car bluetooth disconnects, the phone starts playing the last active audio on speaker. Really awkward when you step out in style from your Model S, shake hands with a customer, and your phone makes it completely awkward with background Bollywood music. All that's missing is SEC chasing Elon in a white dress through the trees in pouring rain, and Tesla workers dancing as extras in the background.

• Funny
Reactions: JohnnyG
hmmm... I've had my car since June, 2016 (60k miles) and this is the first it's happened to me.... Interesting....

This is what happens to me. I use a Bluetooth Headset while driving. It is much quieter than the BT in the car. If i am on the phone, then park, then open the trunk to get my bag out, the radio immediately turns on. Even after i close the trunk and lock the car, the radio is still on. All screens inside the car are off. I brought it up to Tesla Service, and he said if i walk out of range of the car, it will turn off. I have not tested that yet to see if it works.

This is what happens to me. I use a Bluetooth Headset while driving. It is much quieter than the BT in the car. If i am on the phone, then park, then open the trunk to get my bag out, the radio immediately turns on. Even after i close the trunk and lock the car, the radio is still on. All screens inside the car are off. I brought it up to Tesla Service, and he said if i walk out of range of the car, it will turn off. I have not tested that yet to see if it works.
I have a theory... Based off of the limited (2 times) it's happened to me...

When streaming, it buffers (downloads) the whole song it started playing. When the car detects a phone call, it pauses that call. When this whole weird thing happens; it resumes playing what it buffered, but then stops after that, and doesn't continue to start playing (downloading) the next song.

At least, that's what happened with me. I stood there in the garage, staring at the dark empty car, waiting for "Christine" to try to run me over; but it stopped playing at the end of the song.

I have a theory... Based off of the limited (2 times) it's happened to me...

When streaming, it buffers (downloads) the whole song it started playing. When the car detects a phone call, it pauses that call. When this whole weird thing happens; it resumes playing what it buffered, but then stops after that, and doesn't continue to start playing (downloading) the next song.

At least, that's what happened with me. I stood there in the garage, staring at the dark empty car, waiting for "Christine" to try to run me over; but it stopped playing at the end of the song.

Maybe, but mine happens while listening to radio, not streaming from my phone.

I noticed a new behavior with my iPhone X after Tesla v9 update. Lets say I was using Slacker the previous time I drove the car. When I walk up to the car next and start driving, it still plays Slacker. But on my iPhone, it triggers it to play whatever the last thing I was listening to on the phone. What is interesting is that on the Phone it says it is playing over Bluetooth to the Tesla so there is no sound coming out. The unfortunate side of this is I frequently listen to Audible when I run. So this morning it played 2 hours of my audio book without a sound so I lost my place. Previously I remember it would only trigger a play command on the phone if the phone was the source the previous time I drove.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, seeing this same problem on my 90D with my iPhone 7. It hadn't been doing this prior to v9.

I've never seen this issue (including streaming from slacker to my phone). Others have reported that this bug is triggered by having apple carplay enabled in the phone. I've never enabled carplay (don't have a car which uses it). Might want to check your settings and see if that is the issue.

Anyone else seeing this?
Crazy. I just got V9 last week. Over weekend I kept finding different slacker playing on my phone. So you are right on about this bug. Never happened before. It may only be limited to people with a paid slacker subscription. I have one .