Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New BP gas station chargers are coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: Audietron
I "filled up" at the BP Rolleston yesterday, which is currently free. Hit 74kW right away 🙂
BPCharger.jpg

Location of BP chargers
All are free, limited to 30 min except for "coming soon"

Our network is growing rapidly​

We’re planning on scaling up our network of rapid charging points across New Zealand in the next two years, and are rolling our rapid EV charging at 50 bp locations by the end of 2023.

Our chargers​

Our network of rapid DC chargers are capable of delivering speeds of up to 75kW (capable of being 150kW). Each charger will have CCS plugs, and some will have both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs to fit your charging needs

• Love
I see this as the current service stations game to lose really. They already occupy prime State Highway land that generally have all the facilities one needs when stopping, while also generally near other services one might want. If they put decent chargers at these spots, they will get the majority of EVs stopping at them. ChargeNet, and even Tesla, currently have to take whatever council or private land they can get and they're generally not just off a State Highway.

• Love
But @matt_nin the process customers win... less monopoly means chargenet and tesla can't give unreasonable pricing or zero amenities.... either compete or not... same as gas business.

We were going supermarket in charging area, with only 2 providers... with BP and hopefully more getting in competition, we will get fair deal as customers.

This is good news for all EV drivers as it gives us more options, specially during busy travel periods.

The limiting factor for these sites is whether their existing capacity can feed fast chargers. Perhaps a battery bank is also going to be useful.

I’m working with a company installing heaps of L2 and a couple of 30kw DC and the building capacity is what’s slowing us down.

Wow 0.1% profit selling petrol
Change to EV charging and let the good time roll 💰
Providing those EV's don't spend hours charging
Otherwise spending $20 on a charge and maybe a $5.00 coffee probably isn't going to keep the barista and pastry chief in the style to which they have become accustomed to!

I see this as the current service stations game to lose really. They already occupy prime State Highway land that generally have all the facilities one needs when stopping, while also generally near other services one might want. If they put decent chargers at these spots, they will get the majority of EVs stopping at them. ChargeNet, and even Tesla, currently have to take whatever council or private land they can get and they're generally not just off a State Highway.

A key factor in the longer term (once sites expand to multiple high-speed chargers) is proximity to sufficient capacity on the electricity distribution network. This won't be the case at every well-located service station!