Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Brake Pads on P3D - Much Firmer!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Just got some new sport brake pads (front only for now) installed by Unplugged Performance and after doing a quick bed-in last night (10 hard stops from ~35 to ~5 in rapid succession) they feel GREAT today when using on the street. Also installed the stainless brake lines which are likely helping a little as well.

Much firmer and less pedal travel before you actually get some good stopping power with way more initial bite. No noises or anything at all, but its still early days. Will have these out on the track in about a week and will report back on how they perform :)

Note: Crazy brake dust on the caliper is actually from the stock brakes and my last track day, i'm lazy and haven't cleaned it off - don't judge me.

PbzuIBch5lpHujncgdlZyHKbvXqFR1bwrd7XL6EJmufVVPJYlXpqa01Quh1BNpbF0ymjiXKfPubVSoTq0JWe2SOKWYfUNSS7DfCqwqBvcH8oF41zpSyxYG1zGZMG5qv85JusEUwdiidNP98h7wNHjCPEM7NmLCR_YJgiljbZA5Gn_XERiBqk1bW3RKrlv7anPZT9tzlWZADiziW_IL6WJdUb-ppfgJoSUJ78gSa2quBWDCgDwOdt8gq-j6k4hQglkkGXGyBoSM-uIEXO3JWy-jcsl3l1dtpGEk9oTGY5t6g2ggqWRhGefGoXJotg95QYEOZUPxY6WnwsSdTitJ1viT3x2u78Gg8l6s2Ly7JuBrLkRpE-VcXe8eKa4nh5JwzYktzIwoV_xFMNkZ6aNbgiplbINgoOwg7ILlJLdgPYM3XdXp_X3vNIhuLdWn0HQQyecF50cM8_DlJu3hjxClHqJ2vmMtLR1Cgfmc9_RHc8LM7hrH-ace3oazPUczlo2wk9xhFQeeoRKj2nrz5Kywq7nbjlTxUjtn8zOqaA0nlZY8wdM1vnXWQXcCgfBBKxrOmA7ZXH5Em8wcURF38RHYJFX90bDo_NIB0kplv9Jbvp3jsIfGIFcVZ9AgmdQMDJ02V02pjNqqp4gHBG4m3Jn0WdHTaF=w794-h1058-no

MPP brakepad + brake lines
MPP suspension + lowering about 1"

That's basically what i have, but Unplugged instead and coilovers are coming in 3 weeks ;) I'm in LA so i went with Unplugged, plus MPP doesn't have the brakes ready for P3D+ yet.

It's a Tesla, you don't need brake pads anymore.

On the street sure, but not on the track. Also got Motul brake fluid as well

Last edited:
Took the car to Buttonwillow today and the new brakes were awesome! Last time i was there (~month ago) i ran into problems with my brakes overheating after about 3 hard laps, you can hear/see this in my video from November at the ~6:48 mark:

Today was totally different, i ran longer 20 minute sessions and didn't even think about "saving" my brakes at all. I braked as hard as i wanted and had zero issues with brake fade, they stayed firm and strong throughout the session.

Finally broke the 2:10 mark and hit 2:07 a few times. This was after running 2:11 last time, though the brake upgrades likely weren't a huge contributor to shaving the 4 seconds - but maybe mentally ;)

I'm still not braking as hard as i think i could, so new fluid and pads might not be enough by themselves for a hardcore racer - but it seems that this gets you a substantial upgrade over the stock set-up and is a good middle-step before going for larger rotors.

Video from today will be up on YouTube later if you're curious!

Do their sport brake pads fit the P3D+ brakes? I don't see it on their website for P3D+.

Yes they do for at least the fronts. I'm one of the first (maybe the first) people to use these, shoot them an email and get in touch with Ben if you're interested. I'm actually running a slightly more aggressive compound than what they offer on the website as well, only have their pads in the front for now (rear coming soon).

They'll do quite a few custom things if you just ask ;)

I wouldn't think brake pads would affect pedal firmness much, unless they were a little thicker and engaged the disk a little earlier. I don't think they're very compressible. Most likely the biggest change to firmness came from changing to new brake fluid and purging the lines when installing the steel brake lines. The steel lines should help a little, with less line expansion as the pressure inside increases when pushing the pedal.

ETA: 5 Reasons Your Brakes Feel Spongy | Completely Firestone

I wouldn't think brake pads would affect pedal firmness much, unless they were a little thicker and engaged the disk a little earlier. I don't think they're very compressible

It's not just the more firm pedal feel, the pads also give much more initial bite. So though the pads aren't compressible, the curve of brake force vs pad position is much steeper on the aftermarket pads compared to stock so for a given amount of brake pedal depression you are getting more braking force, if that makes sense.