TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New browser & OS coming in December (maybe)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Apricot, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Apricot

Apricot The waiting... the waiting...

• Informative x 3
  2. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

Oh well, if Musk says so...

December 2020 if we're lucky.

• Funny x 1
  3. bob_p

bob_p Member

Musk promised this several years ago, along with a 3rd party API - and we're still waiting.

There is a comment about limitations of the onboard processors - and that doesn't make much sense for most of the functionality owners expect on the dashboard and console display.

The media player is worse in 8.0 and lacks many basic features (such as playlists) - not because of processor limitations, but because the software hasn't been developed with those features. The usability issues with 8.0 are not due to processor restrictions, but to poor design choices by the developers.

The navigation software (other than the trip planner) hasn't had many improvements since it was first released. We still have the "Frankenstein's monster" combination of Navigon software/maps, Tesla software and Google maps - which lacks many basic functions (like waypoints, route customization, nearby POI notifications, notifications of upcoming traffic restrictions, multiple routing choices, ...). These features don't require significant processing power - and the lack of them is more due to Tesla's choice not to implement them and instead focus their resources on other software projects.

However, for AP cars, it's very likely the Tegra processors could be a bottleneck for AP improvements, if Tesla is using any of those processors to support the AP functions - which is why AP 2.0 will likely include a processor upgrade to something like NVidia's Drive PX2 - essentially a supercomputer optimized for image processing.

• Like x 2
  4. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

While still slower than my iPhone the browser in my S seemed a bit faster after the update just before 8 and a bit quicker still with 8.0.

Anyone else seeing that?

5. tliving

tliving Member

If the browser becomes more reasonable then that will open up a whole new category and set of features for browser-based apps. Right now, the browser is so slow that it really can't be used for much of anything.

6. f-stop

f-stop Member

yes, I've noticed at least one specific small improvement with the browser in v8 (2.40.21) compared to all previous v7.x

with v7, trying to login and use the ChargePoint website in the Tesla browser was basically futile. After logging in it would always take several minutes to load the page or two to show my favourite local public chargers.This was not an issue with cellular/LTE data speed, it was repeatable every time I tried it, meanwhile other sites were relatively fast by comparison to load in the car's browser. In fact once it took less time to just drive downtown (~15min) than it took for the ChargePoint site to finish loading after logging in.

now with v8, loading and navigating through the ChargePoint website is relatively quick - still not fast like a desktop or phone browser but at least it's useable now. Not sure what was on the page that bogged down v7 browser so much. I'm hopeful the promised browser speed update later this year will make more sites useable.

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

All of the camera image processing is happening on Mobileye's own chip in AP1, and in the 12 TFLOP nVidia supercomputer in AP2. I'm not positive where the radar is being processed, but I think it is mostly (all?) on Bosch's chips in the radar module.

Elon has made the point that the entertainment system and AP are entirely separate and running on different processors on various occasions, including the Q&A for AP2.

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Regarding any promises that come out of Musk's mouth about what a particular feature will do in the future, ostensibly motivated by the desire for customers to give Tesla as much money up front as possible, I'll believe it when I see it.