Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Brunswick charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eventually we'd like to tour the Maritimes and maybe even Newfoundland in our Tesla, so it's great to see CHAdeMO units going in!

Oh, and I like your handle with the first five digits of a Model S VIN!

Thanks abasile. You're the first to notice. ;-)

I'm a maritimer, transplanted to Toronto right now. I've lived in 5 provinces, travelled to 9. I've visited all of the lower 48 states at various times. I love a road trip, which is why I bought my Model S.

But I have never set foot (or wheels) in Newfoundland. It's been on my list for quite a while, but now that I have the Tesla, I'm thinking it's going to take even longer to do it right (i.e. drive around the island) when I do finally go, probably next summer. Even chademo there would be nice, but I guess we'll have to cross our fingers and wait.

• Informative
Reactions: doubeld and abasile
I appreciate all the info that is being shared here. We would very much like to visit Halifax this fall and plan to follow Hwy 17 from Sault Ste Marie to Ottawa and then up thru Montreal, QC, and RDL and then head south to Halifax. It sounds like New Brunswick may be the easiest portion of the trip. :)

On a related note - I just returned to Toronto from 10 days on Cape Breton Island (we flew to Halifax and rented an ICE van). But as we had just left the island about 500m after the Canso Causeway was a Model S heading to Cape Breton. I didn't notice where the plates were from but I wonder how he made it there? Of course if the vehicle was based in NB or NS then driving up to Cape Breton isn't an issue, but there are only a handful of L2s on the island, at least according to Plugshare.

Been waiting for months to tell you about that guys...

NB Power has unveiled its new charging network yesterday at the Smart Shift Summit in NB. This is good news, and we should expect to see numerous charging stations popping up this summer in New Brunswick! :)

NB Power (@NB_Power) | Twitter

Charge your EV
We just completed a 4500km return trip from Toronto to Pictou, NS and back with some extra stops in the Gaspé region. Ontario and Quebec were no problem with a reasonable network of SC's and government fast charging stations. I was impressed with Curcuit Electrique network in Quebec, fast and easy to use.

NB was a big challenge for us. Our only feasible route was to charge at Point-à-la-Choix in Quebec and then to drive to Bouctouche, NB where we spent the night at a very nice inn with a Tesla charger. NS only has two fast chargers, one in Truro and one in Halifax. Fortunately Truro was convenient for us to get to Pictou and return. However, for some reason the host of the fast charger in Truro has reduced its output at 86km/hr it took us three hours to get enough charge to get to Bouctouche.

On our way to PEI. Left Ottawa around 7pm last night and we are stopped at the new charger in Edmunston having breakfast.

Attachments

• IMG_9365.JPG
    IMG_9365.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 104
Here's a quick overview of my trip from Ottawa to PEI using the NB chargers. Times may seem a bit off since some were recorded at the beginning of charge session and other were at the end. Should give others an idea of timelines with an X60D or equivalent.

0730pm Depart Ottawa
1000pm Rigaud chademo - add 26 kWh over 40 mins
1130pm Drummondville (via 30) Supercharge to 100%
0130am - Laurier Station Tim Hortons - add 18.5 kWh over 28 mins
0600am - Riviere de Loup - Supercharge to 100%
0730am - Edmunston - add 24 kWh over 36 mins
0900am - Perth Andover - add 36.5 kWh over 54 mins
1200pm - Fredericton - add 29 kWh over 45 mins
0230pm - Salisbury - add 51.5 kWh over 78 mins
0530pm - Arrive Darnley PEI (about 200 kms) with 100 km buffer

NB power cost about $52.

Attachments

• Rigaud 10pm.jpg
    Rigaud 10pm.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 57
  • drummondville 1130pm.jpg
    drummondville 1130pm.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 65
  • riviere de loup 6am.jpg
    riviere de loup 6am.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 59
  • edmunston 730am.jpg
    edmunston 730am.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 59
  • perth andover 900am.jpg
    perth andover 900am.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 54
  • fredericton 1200pm.jpg
    fredericton 1200pm.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 53
  • salisbury 230pm.jpg
    salisbury 230pm.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 55
A little Tesla Time while charging with the doors up. A couple people know people with Model 3 reservations, they were very excited about what Tesla is doing.

Free charging at the community college in Woodstock on J 1772 while grabbing a bite. Dedicated parking—Canadians do it right.

Attachments

• IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    921 KB · Views: 54