TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Bulletin available to SC to align headlights with bumper - Mine fixed

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chinnam3, Jun 27, 2018.

1. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Gentleman,

Now Tesla figured a way to address the protruding headlight syndrome. ;)

Last week spoke to local service manager and I was told they received a procedure on how to align Bumper with headlights. (not other way around). Service manager told me it is the bumper that needs fix, not lights.

I was skeptical and dropped my M3 yesterday for few fixes along with this. Today I picked up the car and now have headlight aligned correctly. Earlier lights were protruding by 1/4 inch or more.

So, if your car has this same issue, now reach out to your SC and get it fixed. I think this will reduce some air turbulence in the front end and hence less drag..:)

• Informative x 6
  2. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

Could you post the before/after photo? Thanks!

3. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I am not sure if I have photos from before, but I will take some tomorrow and post to how it looks now. You will know just looking at it.

4. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Found one photo from before, and couple I took after adjustment.

Also, SC notes about alignment on work order.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  5. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

Much appreciated! My car is in service right now, I'm sending message and ask for the same fix.

6. Fusion

Fusion Member

Looks like they are extending the front bumper out a little now from looking at the tip where the side fenders point meets the front bumper.

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I have an similar issue with my taillight.

8. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

Does realigning the bumper to "fix" the headlight protrusion create any large gaps with the bumper or other panels adjacent to the bumper? My car goes in for an A pillar replacement Monday so I may have the SC look at this issue as well. But I don't want to solve one problem and create 2 others.... Thanks!

• Like x 1
  9. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Wouldn't moving the bumper outward to align it with the protruding headlight create a larger gap between the bumper and the fenders? I just looked at my car and don't see how they'd be able to re-position the bumper without doing that.

• Helpful x 1
  10. Fusion

Fusion Member

Anyone else getting it done, please take some pictures before from a distance from both sides, front, and a few closer shots. Then after the fix with the same angles.

• Like x 1
  11. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I am not sure what the procedure is, overall bumper alignment is better including fender and hood positions now vs before. This fixed headlight overhanging lip issue and corrected other positions also. Other locations were not bad earlier, there was some fender over bite on to the bumper, now that is fixed.

Overall I very happy this was taken care, as I was always thinking the because of the position, and location, headlight protruding lip create considerable air turbulence increasing Cd.

• Like x 1
  12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post. Glad to hear Tesla has figured this out. I see a lot of 3’s in my area and have noticed for months that on almost every one that I can put my fingers on (which is dozens over the past 8 months, I see them in parking lots regularly) the lower edge of the headlights protrude out from the bumper by varying amounts; they were rarely flush with the bumper. In another thread on TMC there have been posts saying that Tesla personnel have stated the protrusion is for “headlight cooling” or that it was done by design, which I never believed was the case.

13. Kcharwood

Kcharwood Member

Thanks for posting this. I sent an email yesterday about getting the inner trunk mold. I’ll add this to the list.

14. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

So much for “the gap is for cooling the headlights”. :rolleyes:

Great post OP!

• Like x 1
  15. cizUK

cizUK Member

Um... LEDs shouldn't need cooling should they?

16. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Of course not. A member did post here however in another thread that the service reps at their SC told them exactly this.

17. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Here we go again ... :confused:

• Funny x 1
  18. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Haha. LEDs need more cooling than incandescents. They generate way less heat but they have to run much cooler. That's why many LED bulbs say not to put them in inclosed fixtures.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. eli_

eli_ Member

Yeah LEDs are extremely sensitive to temperature, headlights need huge heatsinks or they'd fail in no time.

• Like x 1
  20. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

Are the service bulletins publicly available anywhere? If not, they should be.