Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New button to enable FSD Beta download?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, like so many others, was confused by Elon’s earlier email asking those who wanted FSD Beta to simply request it with no additional info on how to do that. Since I don’t use Twitter I decided to send in a request through the service request in the Tesla app. Here is the response they sent me this morning. I’m guessing this is the path to use prior to a button being added.

Hello from Tesla! We see you are interested in the full self driving beta. If your vehicle is configured with full self driving and you are interested in signing up for the full self driving Beta please email [email protected] and provide the following:

Name:
VIN:
Driving History (describe your driving style and what type of roads do you typically drive on):

*Please do not schedule a service appointment for this request as this is an over the air update*

Personally, I really hope it happens. I can't wait to try FSD Beta for myself even though I know it is just L2. It will be exciting to try it.

I think this is a shrewd, though risky strategy for Tesla. First, at some point, FSD is going to get in a significant accident .. unfortunate, but its just a matter of time no matter how good it is. And of course, we will get all the usual hysteria about "should be banned!" etc in the press. And the more beta testers there are, the earlier it will happen. Also (sadly), some of those testers are going to be foolish (cue up the fake videos about people asleep at the wheel etc), which will also generate press hysteria.

OTOH, if Tesla do have a large test base, they can point to "X miles driven with Y accidents" as proof that the system is at least as good as humans. And they also have a very large number of beta owners who are going to push back hard on any legislative attempts to block/rollback FSD beta deployment.

My guess is that the button will only be basically an application for FSD and they’ll ask for permission to view driving histories of each car that applies and make their decisions there (or more specifically, given the number of people who are likely to apply, have some sort of algorithm review car data that looks for some sort of unsafe behavior that the Tesla team determines). May also be some interview process, but doubtful with that many people.

I doubt it. Why call it a "download button" if it does not download FSD Beta? If it was just an application, they could call it an "application button".

Also, this defeats the whole purpose of streamlining the process of expanding FSD Beta. I mean, the whole problem is that Tesla got flooded with applications to join FSD Beta when Elon tweeted "let us know". It does not help Tesla if the button just requests applications. The whole point is to make it easy for Tesla to expand the FSD Beta to the tens of thousands who are interested.

I imagine the early access email probably got hundreds of thousands of applications over the weekend. It was probably not practical to go through all the emails and figure out who to invite into FSD Beta. So Elon just decided to add a button to let people download it themselves to make the process easier.
The manual email process required figuring out of the email sender or provided VINs are associated with any Tesla vehicles to look up if FSD is purchased and whatever criteria such as driving history including desired regions/countries. Pushing this software to the vehicle allows automating some aspects but unclear what the interaction will be. Some possibilities:
1. button only shows up if automated checks pass, e.g., have FSD purchased
2. tapping the button puts the vehicle on a list
3. later update will actually provide FSD beta software if manual checks pass

I doubt it. Why call it a "download button" if it does not download FSD Beta? If it was just an application, they could call it an "application button".

Also, this defeats the whole purpose of streamlining the process of expanding FSD Beta. I mean, the whole problem is that Tesla got flooded with applications to join FSD Beta when Elon tweeted "let us know". It does not help Tesla if the button just requests applications. The whole point is to make it easy for Tesla to expand the FSD Beta to the tens of thousands who are interested.

Well, there's precedent for things with Tesla to be named or called something that doesn't necessarily match our version of reality. Case in point: "full self-driving" :p

Sorry, I just came out of a TSLA-induced coma and missed Elon's tweet. At first I thought it was a joke or someone spoofed his Twitter. I didn't think the FSDBeta testers just downloaded the update and hit the road - my understanding was that all sorts of waivers of liability and NDAs had to be signed. I guess we'll know when we see it. I will drive it 8 hours a day if I get it. Let's get this thing done!

Sorry, I just came out of a TSLA-induced coma and missed Elon's tweet. At first I thought it was a joke or someone spoofed his Twitter. I didn't think the FSDBeta testers just downloaded the update and hit the road - my understanding was that all sorts of waivers of liability and NDAs had to be signed. I guess we'll know when we see it. I will drive it 8 hours a day if I get it. Let's get this thing done!
I guess you're not surprised about the Tesla Uncertainty Factor.

I guess you're not surprised about the Tesla Uncertainty Factor.
I do subscribe to Musk's Law: Take the square of Elon's estimates and halve your expectations.

So we'll get a button in 100 days (not 10), and it won't be to download FSD, but to start the application process. I wonder if it's just for people who have already ponied up the cash or is it for anyone who owns a Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and kyne
My guess is that the button will only be basically an application for FSD and they’ll ask for permission to view driving histories of each car that applies and make their decisions there (or more specifically, given the number of people who are likely to apply, have some sort of algorithm review car data that looks for some sort of unsafe behavior that the Tesla team determines). May also be some interview process, but doubtful with that many people.

So what you're saying is the outcome at the end is that we still get nothing.

I just received this.
Screenshot_20210308-151802_Tesla.jpg