Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New button to enable FSD Beta download?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon tweeted that the button isn’t coming until next month (which means maybe we’ll see it Sometime in Q2). Honestly, thank god that Tesla isn’t releasing the button yet. Judging from Chuck Cook’s last couple of videos re: unprotected left turns, the disaster potential was super high. Numerous examples of the car deciding to pull out while ignoring oncoming cars that the car had displayed on the screen (so we know the car was seeing the cars) but just decided to ignore anyway. 8.2 looked like a pretty big regression for unprotected left turns.if the next release is a large step change, it would only be smart to actually have the testers test the new software before releasing it to the masses.

• Informative
Reactions: GargantulaKon
I’m of the opinion that the button will make an appearance sometime before the end of March for all people who have purchased FSD, in the US. (Someone above convinced me based on the 8.3 release that is claimed to be coming soon (which is not a significant release I guess).) But, I wouldn’t be THAT surprised if that turned out to be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time something had not panned out as promised! I just have to come down on one side of the prediction, so that’s what I think will happen based on available info.

So, it seems to me that FSD buyers are very close now to receiving a beta Level 2 system (which I expect to be slightly more useful than Smart Summon in utility - so not too useful, except for someone who actually wants to be a beta tester). It’ll be interesting to see if that actually happens though. It would be a potentially significant event, though it won’t tell us much about level of progress towards the end goal (that may not even be that clear after the release). But it would be more informative than nothing at all!

<Checks Elon’s Twitter one last time>
<Clicks Post Reply>
This was a bad take. I’m guessing the actual probability of this occurring was closer to zero, rather than ~50/50. Should have come down on the other side of that guess! June maybe, September definitely? I tried to be optimistic for a change; I guess I live and learn.

So much for revenue recognition, lol.

Definitely good it was delayed though. I still think even in 3-6 months it could shape up like Smart Summon, where when it is released, it is still useless. But good to avoid that certainly being the case with a release now.

PureVision is going to take a long time to get working I would think.

........PureVision is going to take a long time to get working I would think.

Maybe Tesla should have bought out a working “PureVision” company that already had it working 🤣🤣

1A817848-1EE9-4FE7-9BED-F60A1798EE49.jpeg

Big difference between smart Summon and fsdbeta city streets. Smart Summon is tackling one of the most difficult edge cases around, parking lots. This has been acknowledged. On a scale of super difficult to relatively easy, smart Summon would be on the super difficult end, NAV on a P on freeways would be on the relatively easy side, NAV on city streets fills in the gap.
Am I disappointed the FSD button wasn’t released this weekend? Sure, was looking forward to testing, as I have in the past. But I do agree recent videos of 8.2 seemed to be a step back from prior releases, so I’m glad they’re taking the time to work out kinks. I’ll probably be less patient if V9 doesn’t happen till summer as opposed to next month, but I suppose that could be a very real scenario.

on the other hand, I don’t think that this is just another case of Elon making aspirational timelines for FSD in general. We are looking at videos that show a very real working NAV on city streets software beta, we are actually seeing tangible and impressive as progress since October, so rather than Elon‘s current FSDbeta timelines being aspirational in general, these are statements based on hard data.

hopeful we get the button next month.

NAV on city streets fills in the gap.

I think you underestimate the difficulty of city streets. And besides, Smart Summon didn't even actually deal with the difficult problems in the parking lot (it's still broken in fact) - they just released it - and it remains just as broken as it originally was upon release! It's not even clear to me what sensors Smart Summon actually uses - some of its behavior is inexplicable. So even if we accept that parking lots are the most difficult (I do not think this is the case - I've never found parking lots to be the most dangerous places to drive or even that complicated), it's not like we can make the argument that Tesla has been successful there and are thus "just filling in a gap."

A huge problem with parking lots is understanding how things are supposed to work, without any prior knowledge. But this problem exists a lot in regular driving on city streets, as well! A lot more than you might initially think (you might think things are better signed, direction of travel is obvious, etc., the correct behavior is to follow the traffic laws, etc., etc. - but none of this actually applies in general). It's not like city driving is somehow easier. The consequences are also much greater in general, and visibility can be just as poor as in a parking lot.

hopeful we get the button next month.
Me too but seems far too early given Elon's stated reason for the delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: GZDongles
I honestly think the "4d" will help for smart summon a ton. Then again, I'm pretty sure he led us to believe that the FSD BETA was in 4d prior to the release, now Beta 9 is when it's "Really 4d" lol
Admittedly, I no longer pay any attention to Smart Summon or its technology (I don't think anyone else does either!), but it's not clear to me that it uses much vision at all. Whatever it is doing, I hope it is not applied to FSD Beta, though!

But yes: I'm pretty sure that if they can get FSD Beta "pure vision" working well, they could apply that to Smart Summon (with some additional features like memory and full persistent environment mapping and some sort of "thought" to determine how things should work in a particular parking lot), and they'll have a much better result, though. A tricky problem for them that is sort of unique to Smart Summon, but likely also applies to city streets sometimes in special scenarios, is the lack of cameras that would be very useful for parking lots - not insurmountable, but difficult in certain scenarios. A topic for the Smart Summon thread though.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, it was Elon who said they released smart Summon when they did, developing it before NAV on city streets, because of the unpredictability of parking lots versus relative predictability of city streets. But yeah, people are people, and technically any situation could be unpredictable. I think all things being equal he was saying that parking lots don’t have as clear rules as city streets.

I remember the testing for smart Summon ran for a few months, and when it was rolled out to the general fleet, I felt a sense of hesitation because it didn’t feel “complete” enough. Although it’s fleet rollout was far advanced from its initial testing.

I use regular summon every day to get in and out of a tight garage situation, and I use smart Summon about once a week, just to use it, not out of necessity. In my experience, it’s in pretty good shape, 8 times out of 10 it works as designed fir me, follows the proper layout of a parking lot lane, stops at cross intersections within a parking lot, stops for cars and pedestrians, uses its blinkers when it turns a corner, travels at a decent steady clip of 6 miles an hour. At this point it’s activation radius is still small, so not super practical imo unless you’re parking within a couple or 300 feet from an entrance. But again, I do find that when I use it, it works quite well. I just typically don’t use it because I can walk to my car quicker than it can drive to me, much like autopark which I haven’t used after the first couple of times back in 2018, I can park much faster than the car can park itself.

As to what systems the car uses in smart Summon, my guess would be the cameras and the ultrasonic sensors. When it stops for traffic and pedestrians, that seems to be a camera function, and when I see it navigating around/avoiding curbs that are close to it, that seems to be more of a sensor function. Only a guess.

I remember seeing the first FSDbeta videos that came out and comparing them to current 8.2, we’re talking (to use Elon’s phrase), “orders of magnitude” improvement. Big difference. With over 1000 improvements that will occur at 8.3, beta version 9 will be that much more dramatically improved.

...fingers crossed for next month.👍🏼

Reactions: Microterf
Numerous examples of the car deciding to pull out while ignoring oncoming cars that the car had displayed on the screen (so we know the car was seeing the cars) but just decided to ignore anyway.
Reminds me of discussing in comments of articles with people that insist the cameras weren't good enough for detection (was case of crashing into police car). I pointed out that is not necessarily the case. The car may have detected the car, but just made the wrong decision and thus failed to avoid it. This becomes fully an AI/software problem, not a sensor problem.

Reactions: M3phan