Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Buyer - In-stock order question - plus a few others (KS guys come on in)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I had really started looking at EVs thanks to the Mach E that's coming out later this year. As I did, I started looking at Model 3s and realized they were probably just as good or better of a deal. I'm still a huge fan of the Mach-Es styling but I'm a little leary of how Ford will handle their first BEV and the OTA updates (I currently have a Taurus SHO which I love, but they have never been good about pushing out updates, even with it modified to have Sync3).

With all that said, I found the exact match for what I was going to order later in the year (MSM, LR AWD, 19", White Interior, It had FSD, but i was able to remove that to save the 7k) in stock at the Plano, TX Tesla location (brand new with 3 miles). When placing the order it asked me to select a service center and i chose the one in Kansas City (I'm in Wichita, KS). I have a couple questions if anyone could help.

1. How long does it normally take for them to transfer between locations like that?
2. Which placing the order, I'm doing a loan from my Credit union (couldn't beat 3.25% for 84 months). It's asking me to enter in the lien information and the exact amount I'm borrowing. The problem is the order form doesn't have the sales tax included (possibly because of the SC being in MO, and I'm in KS). I'm planning on having that included in my loan, does it matter whether that "exact amount" is actually exact? I don't have the final total yet. And do I need to do that step before they will start organizing the transport?
3. More general related - Does anyone have any experience with mobile service in the Wichita (or other KS) areas?

Thanks!

I’m in the Wichita area.

I’ve had good luck with mobile service so far. First was to take care of some nuisance issues from when the car was built; second was to replace a motor in the steering column that extends the wheel in/out. No trouble with either issue. Also had a service appointment at the KC service center to replace the on-board charger. I stopped there on the way through KC on a trip, got a loaner and spent the day at Worlds of Fun while they worked on the car.

Regarding Sales Tax, you will likely pickup your car at the KC Service Center in MO. Your purchase with Tesla won’t have sales tax included on it at all. You will pay sales tax when you title/tag the vehicle at home. If you want to finance the sales tax, you will need to work with your credit union to deduct the amount of sales tax from your down payment. Basically, part of your down payment would be used to pay sales tax. I don’t know how many banks let you do that, but that’s what you would need to do.

I’m in the Wichita area.

I’ve had good luck with mobile service so far. First was to take care of some nuisance issues from when the car was built; second was to replace a motor in the steering column that extends the wheel in/out. No trouble with either issue. Also had a service appointment at the KC service center to replace the on-board charger. I stopped there on the way through KC on a trip, got a loaner and spent the day at Worlds of Fun while they worked on the car.

Regarding Sales Tax, you will likely pickup your car at the KC Service Center in MO. Your purchase with Tesla won’t have sales tax included on it at all. You will pay sales tax when you title/tag the vehicle at home. If you want to finance the sales tax, you will need to work with your credit union to deduct the amount of sales tax from your down payment. Basically, part of your down payment would be used to pay sales tax. I don’t know how many banks let you do that, but that’s what you would need to do.

That's great to hear! Who did you use to have your charger installed? (assuming you had one installed). The Tesla website only shows Graf electric. Also i have a couple questions for the guys in KC, but they don't seem to answer their phone. You had any luck getting ahold of people up there? or do I just need to wait for the delivery adviser to contact me?

I did get some answer on my other questions. They already set up a delivery date of next week. I spoke with my bank (Meritrust) and they will finance the taxes and just deposit them for me in my checking to pay the tag office.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I had a former coworker that is an electrician do the initial EVSE installation for the Leaf (20 amp ClipperCreek unit) and then I swapped the breaker and wire when I upgraded that to a 40 amp OpenEVSE unit. Another coworker got a quote from Graf and their price seemed pretty reasonable due to the distance from the breaker panel in that guy’s house.

I haven’t tried calling the folks in KC out of the blue, but when I did my delivery 22 months ago, they were responsive. Responded to emails and phone calls. Even arranged a Lyft ride to pick me up from Lee’s Summit airport when a friend flew me up there to buy my car. Once they’re ready to deal with your order, you’ll be able to talk to someone. :)

Good to hear that the folks at Meritrust can handle the sales tax on the loan. I use them for my local banking needs.

Edit: When you get your car, bring it to the local Cars and Coffee event. This is at the East Warren (actually AJ’s Sports Bar) on the 3rd Saturday morning of the month (except for Winter). I have as many people ask about the Model 3 as those that ask about the Ariel Atom.

Last edited:
I just spoke with a random person from the KC store as I take deliver there on Monday. He was super helpful. The other person I've been working with via email has been helpful too.

I don't know exact answers to your other questions - I know I put in as much info as I could to get my purchase moved along - guesses in areas such as insurance forms, final amounts, and trade in amounts. Along the way as I got updated info I contacted my tesla rep to have them update it.

Regarding shipping... when I called today to confirm my Monday delivery, he said the car is in Chicago and should be in KS Friday/Saturday.

I had a former coworker that is an electrician do the initial EVSE installation for the Leaf (20 amp ClipperCreek unit) and then I swapped the breaker and wire when I upgraded that to a 40 amp OpenEVSE unit. Another coworker got a quote from Graf and their price seemed pretty reasonable due to the distance from the breaker panel in that guy’s house.

I haven’t tried calling the folks in KC out of the blue, but when I did my delivery 22 months ago, they were responsive. Responded to emails and phone calls. Even arranged a Lyft ride to pick me up from Lee’s Summit airport when a friend flew me up there to buy my car. Once they’re ready to deal with your order, you’ll be able to talk to someone. :)

Good to hear that the folks at Meritrust can handle the sales tax on the loan. I use them for my local banking needs.

Edit: When you get your car, bring it to the local Cars and Coffee event. This is at the East Warren (actually AJ’s Sports Bar) on the 3rd Saturday morning of the month (except for Winter). I have as many people ask about the Model 3 as those that ask about the Ariel Atom.

Good to know! Thanks for the help.