Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New buyer (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the features of this Model 3 when it comes that will have to go is that wood trim. I am presuming that some enterprising person in China has come up with some form of stick on strip in black?

Yep, or there a couple of places in the UK offering things like alcantara covers, e.g.

Not done it myself yet, but probably nicer than some plastic / fake carbon fibre from aliexpress.

Reactions: Beatjammer
last year deliveries between Christmas and new year all got 12 months free supercharging and a 3 month free trial of FSD.
So at present even at this late stage the uk site shows “November Delivery” it’s been that way for some time. I guess it’s a balancing act and ordering before any uk price hike and leaving it late enough that your car falls into any kind of period like the above,… not too sure I want to wait much longer, even though technically I don’t really have to.

I joined this forum, as I hade done with forums for my previous cars, to ensure I 'get it right'. I am forming the view that unlike my previous cars, because there is little to no choice with Tesla there is no getting it right or wrong - is that correct?

There are still choices, the main ones being which model, and whether to buy EAP or FSD. There’s another thread running in the debate over SR+ v LR, the P is only if you really want the looks, the performance isn’t really that much more than the LR after 20mph.

One of the features of this Model 3 when it comes that will have to go is that wood trim. I am presuming that some enterprising person in China has come up with some form of stick on strip in black?
The wood trim can be wrapped usually alcantara , a company does it on a trim exchange basis.

So at present even at this late stage the uk site shows “November Delivery” it’s been that way for some time. I guess it’s a balancing act and ordering before any uk price hike and leaving it late enough that your car falls into any kind of period like the above,… not too sure I want to wait much longer, even though technically I don’t really have to.
Tesla deliver quarterly, deliveries are the last week or so of Nov and Dec for this quarter. If they’re saying Nov they must only be a little way into their Q4 allocation at the moment. If they were near to running out they’d be saying Dec.

So holding off until it says December delivery just “may” allow us to pick up any sales incentives at the time as they get towards year end. Makes sense.

Guess it will allow me time to see if the MY drops. Same time I risk a price hike and (unless I sell now) potentially get less for my i3s (strong used prices right now).

Like everything else though if you keep waiting for the next shiny to drop you end up with your nokia3210 in your pocket :))

I presume the EAP etc., is a software thing i.e, it is something that can be switched later and does not need to be spec'd and built into the car before delivery?
You can buy it at any point, it's a software feature that will enable within a few minutes. It does go up over time, typically when new functionality becomes available, which hasn't happened in a long time in the UK (we are at the limit of what UK law allows).

The only option you would need to specify at purchase is Tow Bar on the LR of SR+.

As you observed already, there isn't a way to go wrong as there are very few choices, pick the model and colour then pay your deposit. I ordered mine from a train platform using my mobile.

Last edited:
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I have just spoke to Tesla (01628 450660) . . . . I accept that my circumstances are unusual (I am injured, can't drive and don't want a new car until March 2022) and I accept that Tesla are 'different' . . . . he told me that I can't order a car now for delivery in March 2022. If I want a car for March 2022 I have to keep checking the web site until I see the predicted delivery date of March 2022 and when I do order a car, It will be delivered whenever and I must collect it within one week or lose the car.

I have just spoke to Tesla (01628 450660) . . . . I accept that my circumstances are unusual (I am injured, can't drive and don't want a new car until March 2022) and I accept that Tesla are 'different' . . . . he told me that I can't order a car now for delivery in March 2022. If I want a car for March 2022 I have to keep checking the web site until I see the predicted delivery date of March 2022 and when I do order a car, It will be delivered whenever and I must collect it within one week or lose the car.
Mine was due for collection day one of the first lockdown. It took some pleading, but the Manager at Cambridge showroom was a real star and got it driven to my home on day two. Approached in the right way and given your circumstances, you might be able to achieve that too.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Back onto that horrible wood trim . . . . . . how long has it been there; how long has the M3 been in production with that wood trim?
Why? I am presuming that they will, at some point, realise that it was a bad design choice mistake and change it to black