Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Buyer... Need to clear up some questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seriously looking into buying a used 2016+ face lifted model s or x. I have a few questions that I need to clear up...

1. I heard that we get Federal Tax Credit and, for me, a California Incentive when buying a new Tesla from Tesla themselves. If I were to buy a car pre-owned from Tesla, or maybe used from a third party, will I still get Federal Tax Credit and/or the California Incentive?

2. For the people living in apartments or condos, how is your charging situation? I already talked to my landlords if they, or I, can install a HPWC charger, and they said no (I said I would pay for the charger+installation+monthly rent). They said that they would reserve my spot next to a 110v outlet (For $30 a month)... hahaha.

3. I will be buying a used car, so I can still buy a four year maintenance plan, no matter if it pre-owned or new from Tesla or from a third party, right?

4. I really like the white color, but the face lift of the new model s and xs, which I am in love with, has a lot of surface area for rocks to chip the paint. Has anyone had any problems with it? Should I get a clear bra?

Thanks... Can't wait for my first Tesla!!

#1 - No
#2 - 110v may be enough if you don't drive much (charges at 2-4 miles/hr), but you really need a 220v/50amp line where you park on a daily basis. Visiting superchargers every few days is not practical.
#3 - Don't know
#4 - Facelift collects bugs, you can get xpel etc.

3. I will be buying a used car, so I can still buy a four year maintenance plan, no matter if it pre-owned or new from Tesla or from a third party, right?

Make sure that 4 year maintenance plan (preventive annual inspections) is different from 4 year extended service agreement (extended warranty).

For this question #3, the answer is at:

Maintenance Plans

which says:

"Maintenance Plans must be purchased within 12 months or 12,500 miles (whichever occurs first) after the original delivery date of a new or pre-owned vehicle by Tesla, giving you up until the first annual service inspection to purchase."

It doesn't say by non-Tesla dealership. It doesn't say by private third party.

2. ...110v outlet (For $30 a month)...

Just want to add to what Sir Guacamolaf said. You might be able to do it because Los Angeles doesn't snow. You mostly would not be able to make it in winter in the East Coast because it has to heat up your main battery pack and there is hardly any power left from 110V outlet to charge your battery in sub-freezing charging.

I
2. For the people living in apartments or condos, how is your charging situation? I already talked to my landlords if they, or I, can install a HPWC charger, and they said no (I said I would pay for the charger+installation+monthly rent). They said that they would reserve my spot next to a 110v outlet (For $30 a month)... hahaha. !

Research CA's 2015 law which essentially prohibits a landlord in most residential cases, from denying the ability to install a charger. There are exceptions and restrictions, but it's been very helpful to renters. Congrats on your decision to go Tesla. :D Electric Vehicle Charging Stations for California Landlords

Residential Summary:

For residential leases signed, renewed or extended on or after July 1, 2015, landlords are required to approve a tenant’s written request to install an electric vehicle charging station at the tenant’s parking space if the tenant enters into a written agreement which includes requirements regarding the installation, use, maintenance and removal of the charging station, requires the tenant pay for all modifications, and requires the tenant to maintain a $1,000,000 general liability insurance policy. The charging station and modifications must comply with all applicable laws and covenants, conditions and restrictions. The tenant is required to pay the cost associated with the electric usage of the charging station. The landlord is not required to provide the tenant with an additional parking space in order to comply with this law. This law does not apply: (1) when parking is not included as part of the rental contract; (2) to properties with fewer than five parking spaces; (3) to properties subject to rent control; (4) when 10% or more of existing spaces already have electric vehicle charging stations.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi and gowthamn
4) EVERY car should at least have PPF (paint protection film) on headlights to prevent fogging. On top of that, we chose to cover the front-facing surfaces (headlights, FULL hood, front bumpter, front fenders, mirrors). Adding more than that is up to you and your budget. We plan to keep our X for 10+ years so we want it protected.

Sorry, no tax credit on a used car. If you only have access to a 110V outlet, it may take up to 100 hrs to charge your car.

In your situation, I would highly recommend against buying a Tesla unless you have access to some other nearby charger.

It really depends on your usage, assuming you get a full charge at the super-charger to begin with and drive 20-30 miles a day. If the 110V outlet is on a 15A line, and you plugin at 7-8pm and are ready around 8-10 hours later, you will on average get your daily range covered and a bit more as buffer. This is very workable. On the days you go on a longer trip, find a SC to charge up.

If your daily commute is 60+ miles, I'm afraid you are not going to be able to manage with a 110V unless you have destination charging at work/etc.

If your commute is 20-30 miles a day -- save a bunch and get a Bolt or a LEAF. The 30kwh LEAFs are selling for CHEAP. I really like my 24kwh LEAF. If I didn't do road trips and if the LEAF was a safer car, we'd still use that exclusively. The Model S is a great car but it has limitations.

Also, in 3 years of owning my LEAF, I've spent less than $35 on maintenance. I think you breathe and Tesla charges you 20x more during your annual maintenance. LEAF is slower, looks aren't as good, isn't quite as safe, and its range is nothing compared to a Model S but otherwise it has everything a Model S has.

Reactions: vrykolas
One thing I will say about the maintenance plan is that apparently it is non transferable. I discovered Monday that the 2015 Model S I bought used earlier this month had a maintenance plan that was purchased by the original owner, but my service center said that it is void now and not possible to transfer to my name. It would have been nice to have, but wasn't really a big deal to me since I wasn't expecting the car to have a maintenance plan anyway.

So if the car is under 1 year and 12500 miles then you might be able to purchase the maintenance plan after you buy the car, but that would be the only option.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
As other have mentioned, no Fed Credit on CPO or used, but if you're looking for the best of both worlds.. get a Tesla rep on the hunt for an inventory vehicle for you or use Hank's CPO/Inventory search website. If you time it right you can get a substantial savings (especially on higher end ones) and still qualify for all tax breaks.

For example this one: Model S P100D 5YJSA1E45GF168428 | Tesla
would be $157K if built custom, but is listed at $133K with 8,158 miles. New warranty starts at 8,158 miles.

Reactions: vrykolas