Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New buyer question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I’m in the process of purchasing a used 2014 P85 with 32000 miles. I took the car for a test drive and was great but noticed a creaking coming from the rear suspension when turning at slow speed, the dealer told me this was the air suspension warning up/settling in however at the end of the test drive I still noticed it (although quieter). I’ve tried the search function but not seen anything mentioned regarding creaking air suspension. Is it a potentially a different fault?

Thanks for any guidance!

Unfortunately your salesman was misinformed or dishonest. Air suspension is pretty quiet - some brands emit hissing sounds but Tesla is overall quiet except for a low pitch sound that’s hard to hear when raising the car. Hopefully it’s something simple - perhaps a dry bushing etc - but it could be more. Best of luck.

it wouldn't have a warranty but you could see about taking it into a Tesla service center and seeing if they would be willing to look at it. See if they see anything wrong. That is one of the reasons I got my 2016 for Tesla, 2 year warranty. Piece of mind. I wouldn't say your used car salesman is lying to you, they might just not have a clue and are afraid to say that. Good luck.

Many thanks for the replies and confirming my suspicions. I was thinking it sounded more like a worn bushing or linkage.

The car was previously bought from Teslas used stock (in 2017) and comes with a warranty that is still in place up to the end of 2021 so it shouldn't hit my pocket but will have the hassle to deal with.

Reactions: Brettski
Many thanks for the replies and confirming my suspicions. I was thinking it sounded more like a worn bushing or linkage.

The car was previously bought from Teslas used stock (in 2017) and comes with a warranty that is still in place up to the end of 2021 so it shouldn't hit my pocket but will have the hassle to deal with.

Make fixing it a condition of the sale, prior to delivery?