Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New buyer questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at getting an 2021 M3 SR+

Who do you insure with? AMI doesn't want to know :(

How fast does it charge on standard 240v plug?

Do you need any additional charging cables? The local Warehouse has free Type 2 charger which could be handy.

Bonus question for anyone in the regions: How do you get it serviced? We are in Hawkes Bay so we could drive but it would be a pain

Do you need any additional charging cables? The local Warehouse has free Type 2 charger which could be handy.

Bonus question for anyone in the regions: How do you get it serviced? We are in Hawkes Bay so we could drive but it would be a pain
Insured with Vero, aka InsureMyTesla. Not many options out there and premiums are hiking apparently.

Charging on 240v adds about 15km per hour.

If you need faster charging at home, yes. You would need a wall connector and the cable usually comes with it. Type 2 delivers different amps to your car. Tesla wall charge with single phase AC delivers 32amps max, adds 50km per hour. Some free ones delivers 25 amps, about 40km per hour.

You don't really service it apart from tyre rotation/change, cabin filter and wiper blades. Those can be done either at a local shop or by yourself. Some other owner who doesn't live in Auckland may have a better answer for this one.

I survived with the slow UMC charger for a year and a half (I plugged the car in at night for 8 hours) now I have a wall connector and it is so much more quick and convenient. I charge for an hour at night and it is enough. My power is with Electric Kiwi so I charge during my daily free hour of power so I pay nothing to run the car.

I started off with AA insurance and was paying $175 per month. I recently switched to AMP after reading this forum and I pay $130.

I have the SR+ it is a great car. I have driven from here in Auckland to the Hawkes Bay before stopping once in Taupo for a Supercharge - great trip.

The lucky folks that bought a Model 3 in 2019 received the Tesla wall charger for free. I heard you no longer get this for free? To be honest you don’t need it - I’m on a standard 3 pin plug with the larger earth pin (12 amps?) and the charging speed is fine. It will refill your SR+ from 50-100% quite easily overnight. You don’t need to spend $1000+ to get an electrician to wire in the wall charger.

I survived with the slow UMC charger for a year and a half (I plugged the car in at night for 8 hours) now I have a wall connector and it is so much more quick and convenient. I charge for an hour at night and it is enough. My power is with Electric Kiwi so I charge during my daily free hour of power so I pay nothing to run the car.

I started off with AA insurance and was paying $175 per month. I recently switched to AMP after reading this forum and I pay $130.

I have the SR+ it is a great car. I have driven from here in Auckland to the Hawkes Bay before stopping once in Taupo for a Supercharge - great trip.

Thanks. AP give a much cheaper quote.

Hi IntnlManOfCode,

Congratulations on your decision on buying a Tesla. I travel around 160Km per day and only charge my car on a 10Amp circuit (Standard home wiring). The car charges at 8Amp and is charged ready for the next days driving. I charge to 90% every day. As soon as I park the car, in goes the charger.

I am still using the portable charging cable (The one you get with the car). I have mounted the wall charger but have not had it wired up yet. I will still only have 10Amp available due to wiring but it is more than enough.

The wall charger came with my car, but I believe that it is no longer an option. Check the wiring in the location where you are intending to place the wall charger as it will gauge whether you can use a higher amperage or not. If you want 32Amp charging you may need to put in heavier wiring. Your electrician will guide you on that.

The key thing is how far on average do you travel each day, what wiring you have for charging. Depending on your electricity supplier you may also want to check our if night rate is cheaper or not. Where I am there is only one cent difference between standard and night rate. So not worth it for me. You may also need to get an additional meter fitted to access night rate. That will depend on the age of your meters.

I have a little spreadsheet that you can type in your amperage and how many hours, or Km to give you a time and cost of charging. It is only a rough calculation as there are so many factors to consider but it is a guide. Let me know and I can send you a copy.

You will love your new car, they are an absolute pleasure to drive.

The majority of the time we will only be driving around town so 20-50km. We would do longer trips once a month or so. Say 400 each way.

At home I would mostly want to change from the solar and only use the grid when really needed. I probably don't want to change too fast then as the solar can only deliver 5kw.

I would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet.

The majority of the time we will only be driving around town so 20-50km. We would do longer trips once a month or so. Say 400 each way.

At home I would mostly want to change from the solar and only use the grid when really needed. I probably don't want to change too fast then as the solar can only deliver 5kw.

I would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet.

I have attached the spreadsheet, I hope you find it useful, note that it is only a guide and will not and cannot accurately give you times or costs. How you drive will have a huge impact on how far you get on a charge.

Neil...

Attachments

• Usage Costings.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 57
plug share app on your phone to find free and paid chargers when you're out and about
CCS2 male to female cable so you can use the free AC chargers that don't provide charge cable
I think Tesla may stock these at a reasonable price now

Anyone else a bit perturbed about Elons recent twitter answer as to why New Zealand model 3 pricing is so out of whack to the US & China pricing (after taking into account currency exchange & GST)? Elon claimed it was all down to import duties and sales taxes (which isn't correct in NZ case)

The cost of a model 3 is almost $15,000 too high in NZ. I would accept a $5k variable to allow for transport etc and some margin for currency movement, but $15k is crazy.

Anyone else a bit perturbed about Elons recent twitter answer as to why New Zealand model 3 pricing is so out of whack to the US & China pricing (after taking into account currency exchange & GST)? Elon claimed it was all down to import duties and sales taxes (which isn't correct in NZ case)

The cost of a model 3 is almost $15,000 too high in NZ. I would accept a $5k variable to allow for transport etc and some margin for currency movement, but $15k is crazy.
Being a small market at the bottom of the world doesn't help matters.