Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Buyer Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My perspective.

4. If you have 2 phase power in your house and are up to wiring it yourself then it's pretty cheap. Worst case is a heavy gauge set of copper wires, conduit, breakers and the right connector. Maybe a few hundred in materials.

I do not mean to be picky, but I do not want anyone to be confused, either. I doubt that anyone has "2-phase" power in their house in the US. US residential power supply is single-phase. Maybe you meant 2-wire? But even if you have three electrical wires to your house, that is still only single-phase, but supplies two voltages -- 120 VAC and 240 VAC.

In the US, two-phase power is typically used only in factories or in a couple of limited geographic areas where older buildings in commercial areas may still have 2-phase. Three-phase is more common but only again in commercial or industrial applications.

I think it is true that people in Europe might have 2-phase or 3-phase power in homes, but not in the US (at least, not anywhere I have heard of, and I worked for electric utilities for 25 years...)

1. I was surprised to see some experts are down re: Tesla's approach toward full self-driving (i.e. issues of hi-def maps and LIDAR). I'm sure this is a debate that could occupy pages of forum space, but can anyone offer a quick upshot re: forum consensus? Are lots of owners uneasy about this, or do we TiE (trust in Elon)?

No forum consensus, but many trust Elon’s approach that is more radar/video and not lidar - using Elon’s comparison to a human driver for vision-based driving. Take a look at some of the recent FSD beta videos on YouTube - it is amazing. I do trust Elon.

2. Ignorant guess: Obama-era incentives might be restored under the Biden administration. Without getting into politics, is that a reasonable assumption...i.e. a reason to wait?

Just have to wait and see. More likely if Dems win the senate, but could also happen in a GOP controlled senate as a rider or a compromise on some other bill. I would not be surprised if it did happen.

3. Are these cars lasting ok? I understand no combustion theoretically means longer life, but is it panning out that way, or are aspects like body wear and electrical causing longevity problems?

My 2018 S has been a joy to drive and problem free. I expect to own it for a long time.

4. What's a rough typical cost these days for adding a quality electric hook-up to one's house?

$500 - $1,000 or more depending on current state of home electrical and capacity.

5. What's the thinking on opting for a loaded-up "3" rather than a baseline "S"?

Can’t go wrong either way. All comes down to personal preference - I have driven both and prefer the S for comfort and storage space, primarily.

• Love
Reactions: Eric S
...I agree with others that 300 range is magic number and you don’t need much more then that

Cars are first and foremost about freedom.

An ICE car can be "recharged" from complete empty to complete full in under two minutes (1:50 on my Honda). Easy right?

So how many ICE cars have ranges of only 300 miles?

300 is the EV standard only because of the cost and size of the batteries.

With better batteries like the 4680, do you think manufacturers will cut the size of the packs, or increase the range?

Every few years I lose my mind and consider breaking my budget to buy an "S". Here I am again...and have some questions:

2. Ignorant guess: Obama-era incentives might be restored under the Biden administration. Without getting into politics, is that a reasonable assumption...i.e. a reason to wait?

The purpose of the credit, as I understand it, was more to help upstart companies sell EV's.

Clearly, Tesla has "arrived" and their cars are selling w/out the credit. And since Tesla is bailing on California, they will get no love from California politicians in any fight to extend them.

Given the demographics of EV buyers are clearly not the "working poor", or even "middle class", my guess is the credits don't get renewed.

• Love
Reactions: Eric S