Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New buyers taking any advises.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

So, I have been eyeing a tesla for a while and my old car (ICE) has been getting worst and worst.

Today, it broke again after being fixed like 48 hours ago. So, I am pretty desperate. I wanted to get my new Model 3 in May but now it got accelerated to tomorrow 5pm, thanks amazing staff. But I feel underprepared so I hope wise friends can help me.

1. I got no charger at home and my wall charger is stuck at the American boarder with FedEx. If anyone can share a referral code, I would really appriaciated.

2. The sale person told me that this vehicle they matched me is a show/demo car but just arrived yesterday and never got on the ground to serve as a show car. But because it is meant to be a show car, they offered me a 500 bucks discount also it is blue instead of the white i wanted before. (at this point, expensive wheels trump no wheels at all). is there anything I need to watch out particularly.

3. Overall as a new owner, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for?

I really appreciate the help! I am new to the club so I have not figured out how to use DM. if someone can help me out, I would appreciate it!

Hi guys,

So, I have been eyeing a tesla for a while and my old car (ICE) has been getting worst and worst.

Today, it broke again after being fixed like 48 hours ago. So, I am pretty desperate. I wanted to get my new Model 3 in May but now it got accelerated to tomorrow 5pm, thanks amazing staff. But I feel underprepared so I hope wise friends can help me.

1. I got no charger at home and my wall charger is stuck at the American boarder with FedEx. If anyone can share a referral code, I would really appriaciated.

2. The sale person told me that this vehicle they matched me is a show/demo car but just arrived yesterday and never got on the ground to serve as a show car. But because it is meant to be a show car, they offered me a 500 bucks discount also it is blue instead of the white i wanted before. (at this point, expensive wheels trump no wheels at all). is there anything I need to watch out particularly.

3. Overall as a new owner, is there anything I need to keep an eye out for?

I really appreciate the help! I am new to the club so I have not figured out how to use DM. if someone can help me out, I would appreciate it!
1. I can send you my referral code by DM as we're not allowed to post it on the forum. All you have to do start a DM is to click on my name under my pic on the left and then a pop up will appear - now click on the link - "Start a Conversation" and that will automatically open a window with a DM to me

2. Not really - you can go over this spreadsheet as pre-checkup, but generally you should be fine. Tesla Model 3 Delivery Checklist 2020 (PDF Download) - enrg.io

3. Just get the car, enjoy it and then come back for some suggestions on accessories. I always recommend getting a good set of floor mats - Tuxmat is decent and reasonable in price.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
FedEx has been problematic for months, I now exclusively use shippsy for US shipping, to the point I doubt I will ever go to the UPS pick up again. So charging should be your priority. In garage or outside. If in the garage you (may) get away with a single outlet. Unplugging a mobile connector regularly is not what they were designed for so you should think about a static connector at home. Doesn’t have to be 70A half the grid, but a simple 20-40A 240 outlet would be perfect. Usually the cost of the cable is negligible so most get the highest output for future proofing. If you can keep the car warm you can take your time and get something sorted out later. You also have a super charger in both directions so wait till it gets low and grab 15 minutes when needed

The car will come with a mobile charger, and an adapter for a regular 120 v outlet, so that should get you by in a pinch. If you need more power in a hurry, grab the Plugshare app to see any chargers that are in your area.

Hey As a new Tesla owner before taking delivery inspect the car and walked around. look for mis aligned panels , scratches , paint defects paints peeling off.

2nd Invest in paint protection film if you have the budget for front end of the vehicle is a must to prevent rock chips and also the rocker panels.

Reactions: Vawlkus
The car will come with a mobile charger, and an adapter for a regular 120 v outlet, so that should get you by in a pinch. If you need more power in a hurry, grab the Plugshare app to see any chargers that are in your area.

Buy more adapters than just the standard 120v/15A (5-15). Good investment at US$35 each.

We went a bit overboard and have
- 120v/20A (5-20)
- 240v/20A (6-20) aka "welder"
- 240v/30A (14-30) aka "dryer"
- 240v/40A (14-50) used in RV parks

Also get a 12 gauge 15 ft/5m 5-15 extension cord and keep it in the frunk.
Note: Don't get tricked by weasel words like "heavy duty", get 12 gauge.

Reactions: Vawlkus
1. I can send you my referral code by DM as we're not allowed to post it on the forum. All you have to do start a DM is to click on my name under my pic on the left and then a pop up will appear - now click on the link - "Start a Conversation" and that will automatically open a window with a DM to me

2. Not really - you can go over this spreadsheet as pre-checkup, but generally you should be fine. Tesla Model 3 Delivery Checklist 2020 (PDF Download) - enrg.io

3. Just get the car, enjoy it and then come back for some suggestions on accessories. I always recommend getting a good set of floor mats - Tuxmat is decent and reasonable in price.
Great list, thanks for posting, will check it out when I pick mine up as well

Reactions: SilverGS
Buy more adapters than just the standard 120v/15A (5-15). Good investment at US$35 each.

- 120v/20A (5-20)

TBF, I only use 4 adapters at all. 120v, NEMA 14-50, J1772 and a chademo. If Tesla puts out a CCS I’ll likely get that as well, but I have no need for anything else. YMMV

- 120v/20A (5-20)

That will really depend on where you live and where you drive.

I have used my 110v a few times overnight on a trip. The 220 occasionally in my garage (wall connector outside) and more recently a Chademo adapter.

I have hardly ever used anything but home charging and supercharging and recently some chademo in eastern canada.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bertuzzi44