Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CA bill AB1184 being considered: Up to $10K rebate for EV purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain the whole process of this?

Here's the CA rules I think: Overview of Legislative Process

Here's the bill history: Bill History

If I'm reading the history right, the Assembly approved the bill. Now the Senate is voting to approve the bill (maybe today if they have time?). However, the senate made some amendments, right? If it does pass, according to the rules, the Assembly has to then agree with the amendments? This is another vote I take it?

Can anyone with a better understanding of this process explain it?

5-2 it's going to the floor

It should be noted that there was discussion by Assemblymember Ting who talked about making sure this isn't for "millionaires", so don't be surprised to see amendments with income caps.

Also, several members addressed labor issues (safety) that seemed to be directed at Tesla, and wanted to include something in the bill that would ensure that is addressed. It was pretty vague, overall.

Anyone care to explain what's next in this process?
I'm not an expert, but this is what I found:
What is the "Suspense File"?
After bills are introduced in the California Senate or Assembly, they are referred and heard in policy committees. Bills with fiscal implications that pass their policy committees move to the Appropriations committee. Any bill with an annual cost of $150,000 or more is automatically be "put on the Suspense file," which is a holding place for bills with significant fiscal impacts.

Bills that get voted "off suspense" then go to the full Assembly or Senate for a vote. Bills that are "held on suspense" die.

Housing California l Sacramento, CA