Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New California car pool laws?

RScottyL

Dec 19, 2016
Arlington, Texas
That really stinks. I mean, the car has zero emissions and that was the whole point of HOV lanes, right? Get people to share a ride to reduce emissions.

I agree with you, however, the whole definition of HOV is High Occupancy Vehicle, meaning 3+ people!

Unfortunately, in CA, since there are a lot of electric vehicles, then single rider status should be dropped since the HOV lanes are possibly getting clogged up!

There would not be any incentive for people to ride share!

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
I feel horrible riding in the HOV lane, but man it feels good to go faster than the other guys. I do have to say it has gotten worse and the motorcycles ruin it even more. Maybe 2019 will bring a change to other new ones

mkspeedr

Jun 14, 2015
Santa Clara, CA
I commute on two wheels every day for 30 years. I have never had a commuting accident. I split at a slow speed. I get passed more often commuting by other splitting motorcycles than in an A group track session.

In my opinion the HOV lane has run its course. Time to kill it or heavily revamp it. In my Bay Area commute I pass single Volt, Leaf, Tesla one after another - the HOV lane does not reduce vehicles by the desired intent. Waze has made the HOV lane into a lane jumping mess with single non sticker drivers jumping in and out of the HOV lane thanks to the police alert. Ironically the HOV lane has become the slow lane and the right lanes are usually faster on my evening commute (after 7:00pm).

Luckily motorcycling is great therapy. If it was not I would be bitter with all the phone texting, cars intentionally blocking me from splitting and people trying to kill me every day. If everyone just drove (no makeup, shaving, eating, texting, facetime, etc..) and learned how to merge we might not even need an HOV sticker.

BTW - while I appreciate people moving over for me. If you just drive in the center of the lane - I have plenty of room to get by.

mattack4000

Oct 1, 2017
CA
You don't have to do that at all but ok. Motorcycles reduce congestion by taking cars off the road, not increase it.

I don’t do it I get flipped off, honked at, doors kicked and mirrors knocked off. I Move, I get yelled at. I stand my ground, I get yelled at too. It’s best to just move my car to the opposite side of the highway and stay away from them. It’s not worth the hassle.

Motorcycles can easily contribute to congestion when they collide with a car and cause half the highway to shut down. It happens once every few weeks.

kgroschi

Car Reviewer from Germany
Mar 17, 2017
SoCal
Can't believe that they will ban full EVs from the HOV lanes. That's quite annoying.

So does that mean if I got stickers after Jan 2017 I will still be able to get new stickers in 2019? I'm confused.

Russell

Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2012
Silicon Valley
  • Helpful
Reactions: kgroschi and hypa

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
I don’t do it I get flipped off, honked at, doors kicked and mirrors knocked off. I Move, I get yelled at. I stand my ground, I get yelled at too. It’s best to just move my car to the opposite side of the highway and stay away from them. It’s not worth the hassle.

Motorcycles can easily contribute to congestion when they collide with a car and cause half the highway to shut down. It happens once every few weeks.

Sounds like you shouldnt be driving at all honestly. I've never flipped anyone nor have had anyone flip me off on my commute. I doubt many other commuters share your problems and concerns .

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: TechOps and hypa

hypa

Jun 10, 2018
Los Angeles

It's delusional to think that bikes are the ones causing traffic in the HOV lanes. What about when cars collide with each other? If a bike is passing by, just share the road and give them a little room if necessary.

bnsfengineer

Aug 25, 2017
So.Ca.
I agree with you, however, the whole definition of HOV is High Occupancy Vehicle, meaning 3+ people!

Unfortunately, in CA, since there are a lot of electric vehicles, then single rider status should be dropped since the HOV lanes are possibly getting clogged up!

There would not be any incentive for people to ride share!
Just FYI here in Ca. its 2 heads that qualify not 3

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd

MIT_S60

Nov 23, 2016
Orange County, CA
Sounds like you shouldnt be driving at all honestly. I've never flipped anyone nor have had anyone flip me off on my commute. I doubt many other commuters share your problems and concerns .
I have had similar experiences as mattack4000 in OC. I generally try to move as far away as possible to the left (without hitting the barrier or debris in the shoulder) just to make sure I don't get any crazy bike ride punching off my mirror. One of the few times I let AutoPilot stay on because the motorcycle had ample space around me and the traffic was flowing at 55mph, the biker flipped me off. I'll post the dashcam video when I get a chance.

kgroschi

Car Reviewer from Germany
Mar 17, 2017
SoCal
I have had similar experiences as mattack4000 in OC. I generally try to move as far away as possible to the left (without hitting the barrier or debris in the shoulder) just to make sure I don't get any crazy bike ride punching off my mirror. One of the few times I let AutoPilot stay on because the motorcycle had ample space around me and the traffic was flowing at 55mph, the biker flipped me off. I'll post the dashcam video when I get a chance.

Haha ya it happens. It's worse when the bikers don't follow the lane splitting laws that CA implemented this year I believe. They are only allowed to go 15 mph over the speed of the traffic and only lane split up to 55 mph. I still see lane splitters going 90 sometimes and surprise me while on AP. I'm thinking, if anything happens, it's their problem. I got everything on camera.

Reactions: mattack4000

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC