Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New California License Plate Option - White on Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw this California plate yesterday but can't find any reference on the CA DMV site.
Does anyone have info on what it's called or how to get one? It looks like a carbon fiber background if you look closely.
Regular month and year registration stickers so definietly not the digital plate...
CA Plate.jpg

Reactions: whisperingshad
I emailed support and this was their response:

Hi Ken,

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, requests for new personalized banner messages are temporarily unavailable. We rely on each state's department of motor vehicles to approve user-generated banner messages, and this program is on pause in California.

We are actively working with the California DMV on a framework to successfully open up and begin accepting new message requests, and will absolutely let you know once we get the green light. In the meantime, you are still able to use any of our hundreds of currently-approved banner messages that are available within the app.

Thanks for your patience,

Best,
Isaias Hunter
Customer Success Associate
(866) 477-5283

Of course I emailed them back with my displeasure and let them know that they should state somewhere on their app of this.

I emailed support and this was their response:

Hi Ken,

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, requests for new personalized banner messages are temporarily unavailable. We rely on each state's department of motor vehicles to approve user-generated banner messages, and this program is on pause in California.

We are actively working with the California DMV on a framework to successfully open up and begin accepting new message requests, and will absolutely let you know once we get the green light. In the meantime, you are still able to use any of our hundreds of currently-approved banner messages that are available within the app.

Thanks for your patience,

Best,
Isaias Hunter
Customer Success Associate
(866) 477-5283
well that just stopped me from buying one. there goes their biggest market. you can't charge what they charge for just plate numbers.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I just saw this California plate yesterday but can't find any reference on the CA DMV site.
Does anyone have info on what it's called or how to get one? It looks like a carbon fiber background if you look closely.
Regular month and year registration stickers so definietly not the digital plate...
View attachment 679770
I have seen 3 vehicles on freeway in LA with these plates!.... I want one!... none of the vehicles I observed had any special other details (wrapped, tinted, custom wheels) to make me think these drivers were daring enough to go illegal custom.... Doesn't make sense to me. We need to get to the bottom of it and share..... good luck, AW

I have seen 3 vehicles on freeway in LA with these plates!.... I want one!... none of the vehicles I observed had any special other details (wrapped, tinted, custom wheels) to make me think these drivers were daring enough to go illegal custom.... Doesn't make sense to me. We need to get to the bottom of it and share..... good luck, AW
They are 100% illegal. They don’t have a reflective surface and are not issued by the state of California. Therefore, CA doesn’t earn any money on these and carry the same vehicle violation as driving without a plate.

Source: my cousin is a CHP.

They are 100% illegal. They don’t have a reflective surface and are not issued by the state of California. Therefore, CA doesn’t earn any money on these and carry the same vehicle violation as driving without a plate.

Source: my cousin is a CHP.
He might want to check with his CO. I spoke with a DMV rep prior to purchasing this plate. I also have a letter attesting to the legality of these plates from the Deputy Director of Registration Operations of the DMV along with his phone number. Check out CVC Section 4853(b) as sited in the letter

He might want to check with his CO. I spoke with a DMV rep prior to purchasing this plate. I also have a letter attesting to the legality of these plates from the Deputy Director of Registration Operations of the DMV along with his phone number. Check out CVC Section 4853(b) as sited in the letter
He wasn’t referring to the RPlate. He was talking about those custom black/white plates people buy on Etsy.