Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car - Auto Lock Does Not Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A phone is NOT necessary for Auto-Lock

If you unlock your vehicle with a key card, walk-away door lock will not automatically lock the vehicle.

Tesla even implemented a warning message in 2020.36 that informs you it will not automatically lock when you haven't used phone-key: Tesla 2020.36 Update Includes New Phone Key Disconnected Warning - TeslaNorth.com

If your Tesla has 2020.36 installed, a new feature now informs you when your Phone key is disconnected, warning you “Walk-Away lock unavailable”, according to the message.

“Phone key disconnected – lock manually”, reads the alert

A phone is NOT necessary for Auto-Lock
If you have a paired key fob then you're correct - phone is not needed, otherwise (from the owner's manual):
Doors and trunks can automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying your authenticated phone or paired key fob (if ordered after approximately October 1, 2019). To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock.

So you need one or the other for auto lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: db93
I guess I haven't really tested this; how are you confirming that your car is locked before opening the truck, unlocking when you open the truck, and remaining unlocked?

Usually when I just touch the trunk to open while my Bluetooth phone-key is active, it will unlock only the trunk (the mirrors won't unfold, and the car won't honk). So when I close the trunk, I'm assuming the rest of the vehicle was locked and remained locked. But I haven't tested.

I think you would need to:

1. Lock the car with your phone-key (walk away from the car, disable your Bluetooth, and confirm it is locked).
2. Turn Bluetooth back on, approach the car, unlock the trunk, close the trunk, and walk away.
3. Turn Bluetooth off, and check to see whether the trunk or the rest of the vehicle is locked.

The car is not locked when I open the trunk, I have just stopped and exited the car, gone to the trunk and opened it. Then close the trunk and walk away expecting the auto-lock to happen when out of Bluetooth range - it does not.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
The car is not locked when I open the trunk, I have just stopped and exited the car, gone to the trunk and opened it. Then close the trunk and walk away expecting the auto-lock to happen when out of Bluetooth range - it does not.

Hm, and you're positive that you haven't turned off walk-away lock at that specific location? I believe there's a setting that disables it at home/favorites.

Otherwise, this might be a phone-specific, vehicle-specific or firmware-specific issue. I've got a Motorola G Power and firmware 2020.44.25, and my Model 3 does auto-lock shortly after I close the trunk in this exact situation.

Maybe your trunk latch sensor is faulty, so the vehicle believes the trunk is open and doesn't auto-lock? If you try it at home, do you ever get a "Trunk left open" warning message?

NOTE: Walk-Away Door Lock operates only when using an authenticated phone or passive key fob. When you walk away from Model Y carrying your key card, Model Y does not automatically unlock/lock, even if this feature is turned on (see Walk-Away Door Lock on page 14).

I did, and it is now working. Thank you.

They told me that I could use the app 24-48 hours after pickup and gave me key cards. I guess I find it odd that they gave me no means to lock my vehicle during that time.

You can lock it with the key cards, but you have to do it manually using the tap on side pillar. Auto lock-unlock only works when the phone is used as a key (which you now have). Dont know why they quoted you 24-48 hours, I setup my phone as a key when I was still parked in the SC after pickup (within 5 mins).