Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car charge level and delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I have to drive 220 miles back home from the Portland delivery location as well as expecting to drive 60 miles around Portland before leaving, I asked would the new Model 3 be charged to 100%. The reply was no only to 80% and if I wanted to wait around I could charge after delivery at their charger. No offer to precharge to 100% nor asking if I needed the 100%. So much for customer service. Further it was stated that they were very busy with at least 3 deliveries per hour so it would be sign and drive in 15 minutes or so. Basically, don’t expect to spend time checking the car for defects, nor testing that every control works as is highly recommended prior to buying the car. For a $53k car a buyer should receive a much better experience.

• Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
Since I have to drive 220 miles back home from the Portland delivery location as well as expecting to drive 60 miles around Portland before leaving, I asked would the new Model 3 be charged to 100%. The reply was no only to 80% and if I wanted to wait around I could charge after delivery at their charger. No offer to precharge to 100% nor asking if I needed the 100%. So much for customer service. Further it was stated that they were very busy with at least 3 deliveries per hour so it would be sign and drive in 15 minutes or so. Basically, don’t expect to spend time checking the car for defects, nor testing that every control works as is highly recommended prior to buying the car. For a $53k car a buyer should receive a much better experience.
Ooh eeore, things will work out fine, you’ll see! ....Christopher Robin.

Tesla can not tell you how long you can spend inspecting your car. They allocate 15 minutes of the service advisors time to spend with you so you will not get a lot of hand holding. However, if you want to spend an hour inspecting the car prior to signing any paperwork that is totally up to you. Just let them know they are free to move on to another delivery during your inspection and you will let them know you are ready for them.

Reactions: Akikiki

That last 20% takes a little longer. They have other deliveries to make. Take them up on their offer to use their charger. and, enjoy your new M3.

Reactions: coconutboy84
Picked up my M3 LR AWD today in Westmont, IL. Had to wait a short bit for the DA. Once the process started 15mins tops. Gave me time to look over car, but no tutorial. I needed a Nema 14-50, which they had just sold out; otherwise, the car was perfect.

Takes almost twice as long to charge up a car from 40% - 80% as it does 40-100%. They simply do not have enough time to do that for everyone or track which specific owner wants what.

As others have said, simply stop at a Supercharger on your way home for a few minutes. You will get a chance to see how quickly it charges from a low level. Can add an extra 100 miles in no time.

Tip is to select the Supercharger you plan to use on your way there in Navigation. Simply touch the little red Supercharger dot. This will tell your car to prep itself for maximum charging parameters. Pretty remarkable.

If you had ordered your car so that you wouldn't get delivery at the end of the quarter, there may be a lot more willingness. But at this point, Tesla is working their butts off to get cars out the door.
Ha. That’s a good one. When I ordered it said 2-4 weeks till delivery. Going on week 11 now. How is one supposed to gauge purchasing a vehicle to have it delivered at a time not at the end of the quarter with that kind of feedback from the company. Yes they are busy but do t tell me I should have ordered it at a more convenient time for Tesla.

Reactions: iamnid and c77m