TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New car, custom license plate and hov sticker

Discussion in 'California' started by ZoomFPV, May 11, 2016.

1. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

My car is in queue for production, my DS is mentioning delivery to be mid June.
    I placed an order for a personalized plate 1st week of May , I also want to get HOV sticker relatively quick as I pay over $200 a month in toll to and from work.
    My question is, what is the best approach to get this going? Do I wait for my standard plates, apply for HOV stickers and then reapply when I get my custom plate?

Thanks in advance for any assistance as I am confused on what to do.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Can't answer your questions, but looked at the post wondering what custom tag you got...

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

You need a "random" plate to

1) get the sticker

2) replace with personalized plate.

So, first step is to get plate issued to you.

When a personalized plate is issued, you have 30 days to get it and use it to swap out a "random" plate. So if the personalized plate arrives before your random plate, your clock might run out.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

All of the rules for this are on the California DMV website.

5. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may have messed up an ordered too early on the personalized plate., DMV site said it is 8-10 weeks to deliver so I thought it may will be enough time. But with the delay on tesla production I may miss the 30 day window. Oh well, chalk that up to learning and order another plate if it happens.

6. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Go to this page to get the application for the 91 Express Lane Special Access Program:

http://www.91expresslanes.com/pdf/specapp.pdf

This gives zero-emission vehicle ("ZEV") free passes on 91 express lane any time other than Eastbound 4-6pm on weekdays (for which you get 50% off). This is great if you ever use that freeway.

Note that I have to set up a separate new 91 Toll Roads account... and this transponder can ONLY used in a ZEV. You can't use it on any of your other cars, only your Tesla, or another EV.

Follow the 91 Toll Roads ZEV application instructions exactly and take all the paperwork they require, your Tesla, and your ICE car's windshield mount transponder (if you're turning it in) to a 91 Toll Roads office during normal business hours where they'll verify everything. I got their outside mounted rear license plate frame transponder and zip tied it it to a cross brace behind my 2015 P85D's plastic nose cone since the rear view camera interfered with mounting it on the rear license plate frame. If your new Tesla doesn't have a nose cone you'll have to recon another mounting location.

California: Free 91/110/10 Express Lane Access

7. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

Thank you so much for this information! That clears up the entire process in my mind. I will get this going as soon as I take delivery.

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

If you pick up the three switch version, you can use the same transponder for 10/110 as well and access the HOV (setting 3) rate.

• Like x 1
  9. vjlvjl

vjlvjl Bluebird

The DMV will be sending you a letter stating that your license plate is ready to be picked up at the DMV center you requested when you ordered your license plate. When you get this letter, set up an appointment to go to that DMV office and request them to hold your license plate for xx days. They can hold it for you for up to 6 months.

10. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

Wow ! thanks for letting me know! I feel much better. I thought i dropped the ball and would lose my plate.