Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car Decisions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to talk to some local Tesla owners in Toronto/GTA. I'm giving back my Benz and really want to go electric. Furthermore, I want to get something fun that I can actually hang onto for many years unlike the previous 2 leases. My daily commute is about 100km, from Brampton to Toronto and then back in the evening.

After running some basic calculations, it's cheaper to get a Model 3 LR AWD than it is to get a new Camry XSE and pay for gas and the GO, or even drive the Camry into work. Furthermore, it's similar cost wise to get a modestly priced used car like a Lexus RX.

Anyone ditching the GO train/other public transportation options in favor of driving into work? How is that like all year round with our winters?

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to talk to some local Tesla owners in Toronto/GTA. I'm giving back my Benz and really want to go electric. Furthermore, I want to get something fun that I can actually hang onto for many years unlike the previous 2 leases. My daily commute is about 100km, from Brampton to Toronto and then back in the evening.

After running some basic calculations, it's cheaper to get a Model 3 LR AWD than it is to get a new Camry XSE and pay for gas and the GO, or even drive the Camry into work. Furthermore, it's similar cost wise to get a modestly priced used car like a Lexus RX.

Anyone ditching the GO train/other public transportation options in favor of driving into work? How is that like all year round with our winters?
If you are ever down around the QEW and Winston Churchill I'd be more than happy to meet you for a coffee and chat, give you a test drive of an AWD. You are making a good choice :).

This car is a beast in the winter. Pretty much any EV is, but add AWD on it and you won't have any worries.

PM me if you are interested.

If you are ever down around the QEW and Winston Churchill I'd be more than happy to meet you for a coffee and chat, give you a test drive of an AWD. You are making a good choice :).

This car is a beast in the winter. Pretty much any EV is, but add AWD on it and you won't have any worries.

PM me if you are interested.
Pretty much right here. Tesla's are superb in the winter with the big range. I'm also down to give a ride and talk about it. PM me also if you want. Just a FYI though, judging by your history you might be looking to leasing a model 3 and that currently isn't available right now, so only finance or cash offer.

Hey everyone,

I can relate a little to your situation. I use to commute to work using the Go from Maple to Union.

Once I started a new job, my commute changed to Richmond Hill to Toronto. Even with the longer commute I saw driving to work as a benefit over taking the GO because I was in the comfort my vehicle and wasn't at the mercy of any typical GO delays or emergencies (2 hour pedestrian incidents delays).

Now, although I was saving a little because I wasn't pay for the Go anymore, the cost of gas was still killing me.

My ultimate decision to switch was the fuel and maintenance cost savings. I do have the ability to charge at work, but even if I didn't i'm still further ahead than if I still was paying for gas and oil changes.

Now I had a Mazda CX-5, so gas for me was middle grade most of the time or regular. Assuming with a Benz your model may require premium fuel...right there thats a huge savings.

Winter commute was fine. Never had range anxiety, and if I was traveling somewhere far I just made sure to look into my charging options. The AWD handled like a champ in the snow.

But as 5_+JqckQttqck mentioned...once you go E, there is no going back to that dirty G.

Oh, and with the Green license plate, you can use the HOV without any other passengers in the car...soul saving bliss during rush hour.;)

Last edited:
I can relate a little to your situation. I use to commute to work using the Go from Maple to Union.

Once I started a new job, my commute changed to Richmond Hill to Toronto. Even with the longer commute I saw driving to work as a benefit over taking the GO because I was in the comfort my vehicle and wasn't at the mercy of any typical GO delays or emergencies (2 hour pedestrian incidents delays).

Now, although I was saving a little because I wasn't pay for the Go anymore, the cost of gas was still killing me.

My ultimate decision to switch was the fuel and maintenance cost savings. I do have the ability to charge at work, but even if I didn't i'm still further ahead than if I still was paying for gas and oil changes.

Now I had a Mazda CX-5, so gas for me was middle grade most of the time or regular. Assuming with a Benz your model may require premium fuel...right there thats a huge savings.

Winter commute was fine. Never had range anxiety, and if I was traveling somewhere far I just made sure to look into my charging options. The AWD handled like a champ in the snow.

But as 5_+JqckQttqck mentioned...once you go E, there is no going back to that dirty G.

Oh, and with the Green license plate, you can use the HOV without any other passengers in the car...soul saving bliss during rush hour.;)

Pretty much the same situation!

Although the monthly is higher than what I want to pay, the long term savings are huge and should not be discounted

Reactions: Techniques
Someone else on the Model 3 forum made this > Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

Take a copy and go nuts. Five year TCO blows away any car in the price range. Only cars that beat it is the econoboxes that are not fun to drive. I look forward to every drive with the Model 3 ;) (know where the speed traps are).

Here are my numbers vs my old 2018 Civic (old lmao) - now a granny car for my parents > Model 3 kW Log

If you guys had to suggest a configuration for AWD, what would it be? Seems like FSD isn't worth it yet, so my build right now is Black, stock rims, black interior (will wrap the wooden panel into carbon), Autopilot. Debating upgrading to the performance model...

If you guys had to suggest a configuration for AWD, what would it be? Seems like FSD isn't worth it yet, so my build right now is Black, stock rims, black interior (will wrap the wooden panel into carbon), Autopilot. Debating upgrading to the performance model...

If considering the performance keep in mind that it has summer performance tires and not all seasons and so you'll definitely need winter tires (which I would say you should get anyways) they'll probably have to be 20 inch tires so more expensive than the 18 inches on the regular AWD. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: pcons and duanra
Definitely get Performance if you can afford it. You don’t want to buy the car and say you wish you got the Performance. You can upgrade Autopilot and FSD post purchase but you can’t with the trim. Choose wisely.

Definitely get Performance if you can afford it. You don’t want to buy the car and say you wish you got the Performance. You can upgrade Autopilot and FSD post purchase but you can’t with the trim. Choose wisely.
It's not as cut and dry as 'if you can afford it'. The upgrade to Premium is 14.8k + tax, plus as others have pointed out it also locks you into 19"+ winter tires and rims as the 18 won't fit over the P brakes. That's another ~ 4k + tax.

Plus you can rarely uncork the AWD fully, so how often will you really take advantage of the P acceleration? Just my 0.02 kwh :)

Those people who bought a stealth P last year and got the 5k upgrade after they consolidated the PUP into the P model got the best deal by far. Can still use 18"+ tires but get the speed boost and track mode, but for only 9k more than AWD...if I could do it over (and knew they would offer the rebate) then I would have done that, but personally I can't swallow the current P bump.

Now, if someone is fortunate enough that 20k to move to a P is not going to over stretch you, then sure. But I'd rather put that money away for the next EV. Or put it into tesla stock and cash it in 5 years to trade up to the model Z or whatever comes out then ;)

Last edited:
What's your lifestyle needs/wants? How many long road trips do you want to take on the weekends? This is the perfect weekend warrior car per km travelled especially if there is a destination charger.

the SR or SR+ will cover 90% of daily driving needs for anyone who owns a car. The range is nice to have during the winter but not necessary once more SCs open up.

LR AWD + FSD would be the go to if I had the choice again but the rebate is great :D. The P is not worth the cost.

In my case I decided to take AP+FSD instead of going AWD. Me and my wife love doing road trips and from everything I see lately Tesla NoA is getting really good and I don't want to pay extra later for that.

Maybe once a year I'll miss not having AWD but I'm sure I will miss not having AP/FSD every day during my commute.

It's not as cut and dry as 'if you can afford it'. The upgrade to Premium is 14.8k + tax, plus as others have pointed out it also locks you into 19"+ winter tires and rims as the 18 won't fit over the P brakes. That's another ~ 4k + tax.

Plus you can rarely uncork the AWD fully, so how often will you really take advantage of the P acceleration? Just my 0.02 kwh :)

Those people who bought a stealth P last year and got the 5k upgrade after they consolidated the PUP into the P model got the best deal by far. Can still use 18"+ tires but get the speed boost and track mode, but for only 9k more than AWD...if I could do it over (and knew they would offer the rebate) then I would have done that, but personally I can't swallow the current P bump.

Now, if someone is fortunate enough that 20k to move to a P is not going to over stretch you, then sure. But I'd rather put that money away for the next EV. Or put it into tesla stock and cash it in 5 years to trade up to the model Z or whatever comes out then ;)
Well that’s part of “if you can afford it” though. The website tells you it comes with 20” summers and all that, so you have to calculate accordingly.

I feel like that’s a terrible excuse for not upgrading to Performance. The best advantage of EV is the acceleration, and I use mine every chance I get since I love the thrill. You can definitely use the Performance acceleration to it’s full potential. I had a Performance for a day and can tell you I used the acceleration a lot so I don’t know what you mean by you barely use AWD acceleration, it’s not that fast for it to be unusable. Unless you just don’t like pressing hard on the pedal.

To each their own I guess, but life’s too short for me to say “I want this but...”. If you want it and can afford it, what more are you waiting for?

Well that’s part of “if you can afford it” though. The website tells you it comes with 20” summers and all that, so you have to calculate accordingly.

I feel like that’s a terrible excuse for not upgrading to Performance. The best advantage of EV is the acceleration, and I use mine every chance I get since I love the thrill. You can definitely use the Performance acceleration to it’s full potential. I had a Performance for a day and can tell you I used the acceleration a lot so I don’t know what you mean by you barely use AWD acceleration, it’s not that fast for it to be unusable. Unless you just don’t like pressing hard on the pedal.

To each their own I guess, but life’s too short for me to say “I want this but...”. If you want it and can afford it, what more are you waiting for?

He has a wife and kid in the car (I assume), and yes, it's great off the line at the light to get ahead of the pack and cruise - however, most commute traffic is bumper to bumper and acceleration is less of a factor. To each their own driving style. Fair warning, all that acceleration is addictive and can and will equal to speeding tickets :)