Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car Hit By Stone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, less than a month into ownership my car has been struck by a rock on the highway. It looks to be very small (can post picture later). There is a chip and a small 1/4 inch vertical crack. I bought some rain-x sealer but am questioning whether it makes more sense to have Safelite or the like fix this for me.

Thoughts? Does anyone have experience DIYing or using Safelite for a repair? The estimated cost difference is $150.

I have used safelite several times, and I was happy with the chip repairs (lots of stones on our dirt roads in VT). I have full glass protection through my insurance, but I they charged the insurance < $100.

If it is just a small chip or star, I've had lots of success fulling it myself with the syringe type repair kits; however, I tried doing it on one with a star and a small crack once... it just spread the crack until it was about 3" and I had to have the whole windshield replaced. I'd probably just go with Safelite as it's pretty cheap and they do a really good job.

Well, less than a month into ownership my car has been struck by a rock on the highway. It looks to be very small (can post picture later). There is a chip and a small 1/4 inch vertical crack. I bought some rain-x sealer but am questioning whether it makes more sense to have Safelite or the like fix this for me.

Thoughts? Does anyone have experience DIYing or using Safelite for a repair? The estimated cost difference is $150.

Most insurance companies will fix this for you for free if you have comprehensive coverage. You should check with them. I've had this happen a couple of times. Both times free, no effect on your premium.