Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car issue with Nav & charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct breaker for that panel.
52856257658__5C94C518-A2FF-4C65-815D-FF4340FE9826.JPG.jpeg

Reactions: Ken7
Glad the satnav is fixed. Bybway if background the big screen is google maps inc showing traffic but that’s where it’s contribution ends.

There is a stand-alone nav built into the car that drives the small screen, the route overlay on the big map and uses a different set of traffic info. Google tends to be more up to date than the built in map which can result in some odd displays where a route isn’t a road. It can also be infuriating when the display shows traffic but the nav appears to ignore it.

So in effect you have two map displays which are independent and it sounded like one had stuck hence the different display.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
Jon, thanks, I would never have guessed there were 2 independent systems at work. But it does explain why one worked perfectly throughout and the other got stuck.

@sublimejackman, thanks. I had already googled up that correct breaker. I still can't understand, as a Tesla recommended electrician, what he was doing. He had to have known that this would come back to bite him (if done intentionally) once I got the car and began charging.

My guess is that it was the only breaker he had laying around. The really bad part is he tried to cover his tracks by scratching off the numbers. VERY illegal in most states. After talking to my buddy who used to be a master electrician, he also suggested reporting him to the state. People can literally die from installing the wrong breaker or wire.

My original advice of just not using the plug at all still stands. Who knows what else this guy hacked together along the way? If you must charge to get to work, I wouldn't charge more than 20-25amps. You'll need the headroom. If the breaker keeps tripping it will eventually fail and that would lead to nothing good.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ken7 and jelloslug
Why is the breaker scratched out? It looks like it's as old as the rest of the breakers. Also the model model number on the breaker gives it away as being a 30amp(CR230) opposed to the required 50amp(CR250). I would call a DIFFERENT electrician to come and fix this. Also confirm that 6 gauge wire was run not something else. This is very sketchy work.

Yes, BR230 is absolutely the wrong breaker. Any electrician that would install that and scratch it out is crooked!!!

My guess is that it was the only breaker he had laying around. The really bad part is he tried to cover his tracks by scratching off the numbers. VERY illegal in most states. After talking to my buddy who used to be a master electrician, he also suggested reporting him to the state. People can literally die from installing the wrong breaker or wire.

My original advice of just not using the plug at all still stands. Who knows what else this guy hacked together along the way? If you must charge to get to work, I wouldn't charge more than 20-25amps. You'll need the headroom. If the breaker keeps tripping it will eventually fail and that would lead to nothing good.
That’s exactly what I think happened. However, in the interim, dropping to the 30 amp setting in the car seems fine and the breaker seems cool with no indications of heat. The electrician was very apologetic and is coming tomorrow with the proper breaker.

I will bring this to Tesla’s attention.

That’s exactly what I think happened. However, in the interim, dropping to the 30 amp setting in the car seems fine and the breaker seems cool with no indications of heat. The electrician was very apologetic and is coming tomorrow with the proper breaker.

I will bring this to Tesla’s attention.
Was this work done with a permit and was it inspected? I wouldn't trust this guy again if it were me. If he skimped on the breaker, he may have on the wire too because there is more cost involved there. For peace of mind get someone else and stop payment on the check or contest the credit card charge. Also consider reporting as previously suggested. This is too important to mess with.