Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, new Tesla owner here (super excited) and love everything about the car. Picked it up yesterday and just went to plug it in to charge tonight (standard wall outlet with cord that comes with the car) and i get this message on my screen. Any ideas about what could cause this? Just bad luck with a bad charger? Going to call tomorrow regardless but any information helps.

Attachments

• C737EE45-3A1D-44E3-B9EA-87327E6BE446.jpeg
    C737EE45-3A1D-44E3-B9EA-87327E6BE446.jpeg
    618.7 KB · Views: 85
I would check the ground on your socket first. I assume you're using the Tesla 120V wall charger provided with the car. That and all Tesla equipment requires a very clean well grounded socket to function properly. Just a guess as I've never seen that exact error message but that's what I would check first. If that is the case, try a socket that is newer, closer to the house's ground or has not been used as much.

I would check the ground on your socket first. I assume you're using the Tesla 120V wall charger provided with the car. That and all Tesla equipment requires a very clean well grounded socket to function properly. Just a guess as I've never seen that exact error message but that's what I would check first. If that is the case, try a socket that is newer, closer to the house's ground or has not been used as much.

Are you using any kind of an extension cord by chance ?

This is the most likely cause... something's not grounded correctly. Make sure you are plugging directly in with no extension, and try another outlet that is on a different breaker or newer construction or something like that. If that works, you need to have an electrician take a look at the circuit/outlet you intend to use.

Reactions: Chisale
Thanks all for the replies, originally it was on an extension cord, so I tried on the original outlet, then 2 different outlets and still no luck. I called and they said its likely a faulty charger so I am going to have to go in and swap it out.