Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car, not on current version, how to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because the car was made this month doesn't mean the electronics which come with the firmware preinstalled were.
More than likely Tesla has thousands of electronics packages sitting around with firmware from the date they were made. They get installed in new cars, updated over the air.
well I do believe that all cars after Apr 19 has the HW3 if they have FSD......and if they cant control inventory hand have 1,000s of old electronic parts they have to get rid of in new cars, it would. make me question the configuration of current car......just because they can update over the air is not reason not to build to what they say......I agree electronics is a part that is always being changed for in most cases the better, but I would expect my new car to be current configuration in all details......to bad we cannot get a true read out of current configuration and be able to check again the car when recieved

for those who just got their cars with V8 or V9........did you check the door panel to see manufacturing date? I have a sneaking suspicion those cars were manufactured and sent to holding, waiting for a buyer then sent to the dealer for delivery......it just does not make sense that new cars coming off the line would have 2 versions of software in the rear....even a ver 9 when all manufacturing past April 2019 has HW 3 and current software off the line.....if car says mfg date is Oct 19, I think you shod have V10....not V8 or V9.....although I might be wrong

this does does not sound right to me
My door panel sticker shows 10/19 and my car came with V9 software.

well I do believe that all cars after Apr 19 has the HW3 if they have FSD......and if they cant control inventory hand have 1,000s of old electronic parts they have to get rid of in new cars, it would. make me question the configuration of current car......just because they can update over the air is not reason not to build to what they say......I agree electronics is a part that is always being changed for in most cases the better, but I would expect my new car to be current configuration in all details......to bad we cannot get a true read out of current configuration and be able to check again the car when recieved
Hw3 is a physically different computer. That's easy to sort and install based on need. Tesla doesn't build cars to order anymore. They're building them in batches and then matching them based on expected delivery. If expected fsd take rate is 40% they make sure about 40% of the cars made get the new computer. My car was built after the fsd computer change, but I'm on 2.5 and I have fsd. The reason is probably that I picked an inventory car that wasn't a match and they added fsd to it.

Now when it comes to the vehicle firmware, Tesla is just building the same car from a hardware side. They could either spend the time updating the software, or ask their service centers to do it. (This is what other manufactures do), but they don't have that capacity. So they rely on the over the air update to do it.

I tried all the tips including opening a service appt on the app, but none worked. I wasn't feeling like waiting till December so I called the store and asked if they'd look at the car, they transfer me to service where I left a voicemail and 30 minutes later I was prompted to download it over LTE. I opted for the delay option so I could do it at home.

The current version I have now is 10.1.

Hw3 is a physically different computer. That's easy to sort and install based on need. Tesla doesn't build cars to order anymore. They're building them in batches and then matching them based on expected delivery. If expected fsd take rate is 40% they make sure about 40% of the cars made get the new computer. My car was built after the fsd computer change, but I'm on 2.5 and I have fsd. The reason is probably that I picked an inventory car that wasn't a match and they added fsd to it.

Now when it comes to the vehicle firmware, Tesla is just building the same car from a hardware side. They could either spend the time updating the software, or ask their service centers to do it. (This is what other manufactures do), but they don't have that capacity. So they rely on the over the air update to do it.
that kinda makes sense......but what do you do to get HW3.0 and when? They tell me I have 3.0 but TeslaFi says it is 2.5....now I don’t know what I have