Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car - PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Model Y LR last week in midnight silver metallic. I'm considering PPF for it, and was quoted for Xpel Ultimate Plus for the full car ($5,500) and for the front end ($2,500 - bumper, hood, headlights, fenders).

Are there any disadvantages to only doing PPF on the front of the car? I figure that's the part of the car that usually gets blasted. My 9 year old black charger that I just got rid of looked amazing, except for the obvious sandblasting and rock chips on the front of the car. Thinking front end PPF makes sense. But, is it really necessary for the full car? Is Tesla paint really that bad that the sides and back get so beaten down that I should consider doing the whole car? I never take my cars to a car wash, and I plan on getting mud flaps from my conversations with people and from what I see on the forums. If I do only put PPF on the front, will the PPF provide UV protection for the front causing the back to fade faster? Are there ever problems with the PPF lifting the paint when it's time to remove it?

Looking for some useful feedback based on others' experiences. Thanks!

There is a video on YouTube somewhere of Model Y with 35K miles without PPF justifying if PPF is needed or not.
According to that video, it does not seem like tesla paint is really that bad and gets a lot of rock chips even on the front bumper.

I made PPF only for the front bumper for $700 with Xpel Ultimate Plus. Making a full front or entire car is overkill in my opinion.

Reactions: Jimboy435
There is a video on YouTube somewhere of Model Y with 35K miles without PPF justifying if PPF is needed or not.
According to that video, it does not seem like tesla paint is really that bad and gets a lot of rock chips even on the front bumper.

I made PPF only for the front bumper for $700 with Xpel Ultimate Plus. Making a full front or entire car is overkill in my opinion.
I agree with you. I did the entire car with Xpel Ultimate Plus, ceramic coat and paint correction by myself. I paid $1300 total for the PPF, Ceramic coat, and two stage paint correction, and that is the best value money can buy. If you get someone to do for $5-$7k, it is not worth it.

Nor sure which video you're referencing, but I saw this video and they seemed to think it was necessary. I agree that the whole car seems like overkill which is why I'm leaning towards the front only. Was your PPF a DYI project, or did you pay someone the $700 to do it?

I agree with you. I did the entire car with Xpel Ultimate Plus, ceramic coat and paint correction by myself. I paid $1300 total for the PPF, Ceramic coat, and two stage paint correction, and that is the best value money can buy. If you get someone to do for $5-$7k, it is not worth it

Interesting....I just want onto Xpel and didn't realize that you could just purchase it yourself. I don't think thats the avenue I will go down because I'm afraid of screwing up the car somehow. You did the entire job yourself?

I go ppf on this expense car. $5500 is cheap for whole body Xpel ppf, I paid near $7k in NJ. Tesla paint is super thin. I got the matte finish on my msm . Plus the add protection from stupid jealous vandals.
E2DB561E-3179-4C97-BFE2-96575DDBEC04.jpeg

I understand that most of the folks are over-excited about their new Tesla like buying a brand new car for the first time. Ready to vacuum, hand wash, glass cleaning and other stuff every day. Like a "honeymoon" :D
But Tesla.. is just a car first of all. You ll get used to it in 6-9 months, and maybe will think "why in the heck did I spend so much money on damn PPF".

If I would buy Ferrari, maybe I would do a full PPF. But with Tesla... family compact SUV... well

Interesting....I just want onto Xpel and didn't realize that you could just purchase it yourself. I don't think thats the avenue I will go down because I'm afraid of screwing up the car somehow. You did the entire job yourself?
yes, I did. This was my first time too. I have zero lifting and zero bubble. I have one 1/8" speck of dust on the hood though. I think my result is very comparable to or better than average PPF shops (slightly below the top-tier PPF shops that charge $6k plus for the job).

Reactions: GSP and Pricedm
I understand that most of the folks are over-excited about their new Tesla like buying a brand new car for the first time. Ready to vacuum, hand wash, glass cleaning and other stuff every day. Like a "honeymoon" :D
But Tesla.. is just a car first of all. You ll get used to it in 6-9 months, and maybe will think "why in the heck did I spend so much money on damn PPF".

If I would buy Ferrari, maybe I would do a full PPF. But with Tesla... family compact SUV... well
Technically like this for any cars, even ones like a Ferrari for those that can afford it. Part of the fun is that sense of ownership tho. After all, we're all here in a forum, talking about these cars, lol. Likely folks that join and chat here are not your average Tesla owners who just sees it as a car. I've been in forums where we would spend way more than what the car is worth, does it make sense, nah? But it's fun as hell.

I did the entire front end of my Red 2022 Model 3 LR with Ceramic Pro Kavaca PPF and Ceramic Coating from the front doors back. The quailty fo the installation is key here. I have had two edges lift slightly but my guy repaired that easily and to good effect.
I drive my Tesla 2000 miles per month on California Freeways and I can tell you that the PPF is really doing a good job taking the brunt of debris damage. I also have mud flaps that have proven worth their price and effort in the mud after a rainstorm/flash flood in the Mohave Desert (called Mohave Surfing). One thing I will go back to get covered in PPF is the rocker panels. They are not damaged yet but I can see how they would be if the mud flaps had not been there.
If you are worried about being keyed then do the whole car as the PPF will definitely help there. As for sheen, I wanted that red paint to POP in the sun and I can tell you that I get comments on it every time I get it hand-washed.
As for UV fading of paint, PPF MAY and I mean MAY protect a little bit better than just Ceramic. Being in the finishing business for over 25 years has taught me that no matter what the manufacturer claims, you can't stop UV from affecting the color. You can only slow it down which PPF and ceramic claim to do. Only time will tell. I can tell you that in the 9 months since I had this done, there is no difference in color between the front and the back of my car and this year/summer has been INTENSE heat and sun in the desert at Palm Springs. that's not to say that the color has not been affected in some way, just that if it HAS been affected it has done so evenly across the car.
As for lifting the paint off when removed, I doubt it. I have never heard of this being a problem.

Technically like this for any cars, even ones like a Ferrari for those that can afford it. Part of the fun is that sense of ownership tho. After all, we're all here in a forum, talking about these cars, lol. Likely folks that join and chat here are not your average Tesla owners who just sees it as a car. I've been in forums where we would spend way more than what the car is worth, does it make sense, nah? But it's fun as hell.
It’s not a car forum without a great Oil debate! Lol

Exactly... it's just another commute car or I would say "computer on the wheels". In my case first to pay off before any upgrades ✌️

P.S. I plan to take off front bumper myself and take it to the shop for $300 fresh paint if needed.

We have two Teslas; leased MY LR (11/20) and bought by us M3 SR (8/22). Had PPF put on the M3 a couple of months ago; front and about half the hood, rocker panels, mirrors, probably a couple of other places, forget now. $1,100 dollars done south of Tucson.

Took the M3 in for a brushless car wash Saturday. Front had all kinds of "smushed" stuff on it when we entered the wash. After the wash a wipe with a towel and the front of the car looked new again.

OK, not a very scientific test. None the less, when we replace our MY in Nov of 2023 with one we purchase I will have PPF put on that car as well.

Rich

My first Model 3 back in 2018 - PPF only the full front and rocker panels. Struct a concrete pillar on the front passenger side bumper area. PPF saved the paint. Replaced the bumper portion and all was good. After 4 years I see lots of scratches around the door handle area due to ppl's fingernails scratching the door panel paint.

Picked up my model Y end of this September and did the full car coverage. I'm a believer and like the protection it offers. Now I don't have to worry as much about bad car washing techniques, nor little scratches here and there.