Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car - PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never understood why people get full PPF for a 60k vehicle. It's not like it's some exotic or even a 100k Porsche.

It's a regular looking car. After 6-7 years, it will get old and will get replaced. Have you seen a 2015 Model S?
Because they are excited about a new car and do not realize they are basically throwing away money. It’s a glorified commuter car. They will literally make millions of these cars every year going forward. And look I get it. For some people this is the most special vehicle they will ever own. I say this as the guy who absolutely worshipped the 1992 Accord I had in college. Probably loved that car more than anything else. At the end of the day it’s an Accord and no matter how special I treat it.. when I’m done with it it’s still an Accord. Just like the millions others people drive every day.

As for PPF or not. I chose not. And this is my Model Y after 2 years of ownership and 30K miles. Take from this what you will. But I will never spend thousands wrapping a car like this in plastic protection.

Attachments

• 3A3A6925-DED8-43F1-B40A-0CBB9DAC383E.jpeg
    3A3A6925-DED8-43F1-B40A-0CBB9DAC383E.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 1,269
Because they are excited about a new car and do not realize they are basically throwing away money. It’s a glorified commuter car. They will literally make millions of these cars every year going forward. And look I get it. For some people this is the most special vehicle they will ever own. I say this as the guy who absolutely worshipped the 1992 Accord I had in college. Probably loved that car more than anything else. At the end of the day it’s an Accord and no matter how special I treat it.. when I’m done with it it’s still an Accord. Just like the millions others people drive every day.

As for PPF or not. I chose not. And this is my Model Y after 2 years of ownership and 30K miles. Take from this what you will. But I will never spend thousands wrapping a car like this in plastic protection.
Now, let's take a look at your front bumper and rear door "hitting area" up close. I mean, real close, so we can actually see what's on it.

Now, let's take a look at your front bumper and rear door "hitting area" up close. I mean, real close, so we can actually see what's on it.
I hand wash my car often. So i know exactly what it looks like.

I can already tell you will be extremely disappointed to know it looks absolutely AWESOME. And that's with no touch paint. Nothing more than hand wash with soapy water.. and $13 spray on Turtle Hybrid Ceramic wax. I've never seen a bigger waste of money than PPF.

Its fool's gold. It is a fantastic way to waste thousands of dollars on a commuter car.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Try this with your Tesla.
Try to rub any parts of the car with your finger nail about 10 times or so. you will see the clearcoat gets scratches from your finger nail rub. those fine scratches can only be removed by light polishing. those things can add up and will eventually show a lot of places on your car and will be very noticeable soon.

Reactions: wmo168 and akidesir
I hand wash my car often. So i know exactly what it looks like.

I can already tell you will be extremely disappointed to know it looks absolutely AWESOME. And that's with no touch paint. Nothing more than hand wash with soapy water.. and $13 spray on Turtle Hybrid Ceramic wax. I've never seen a bigger waste of money than PPF.

Its fool's gold. It is a fantastic way to waste thousands of dollars on a commuter car.
I was asking for the close up pictures, so OTHERS can see and get your point. I don't care if you know your car is awesome or not. =)
I can take a picture of my 15 year old beater honda from the same distance as you did in your picture above and claim the same thing.

I was asking for the close up pictures, so OTHERS can see and get your point. I don't care if you know your car is awesome or not. =)
I can take a picture of my 15 year old beater honda from the same distance as you did in your picture above and claim the same thing.

Here goes your picture!

Attachments

• C0B2205A-8620-48C8-AA02-A080262DA5BE.jpeg
    C0B2205A-8620-48C8-AA02-A080262DA5BE.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Reactions: mgs333 and DrGriz
I would (and did) go with the front end only PPF. We have a Model 3 (no PPF) and the Model Y with the front end PPF.

The Model 3 has a lot of chips on the front bumper and hood. Obviously, there are no chips on the Model Y with PPF.

Unless it comes with it now, I'd also get the PPF for the rear doors. I installed that myself. I think that makes a huge difference as, while you can't see it, you can feel that the black plastic below the rear doors has significant pitting from debris being thrown up... I imagine the door would have similar pitting and chipping if not for the PPF.

Just picked up my Model Y LR last week in midnight silver metallic. I'm considering PPF for it, and was quoted for Xpel Ultimate Plus for the full car ($5,500) and for the front end ($2,500 - bumper, hood, headlights, fenders).

Are there any disadvantages to only doing PPF on the front of the car? I figure that's the part of the car that usually gets blasted. My 9 year old black charger that I just got rid of looked amazing, except for the obvious sandblasting and rock chips on the front of the car. Thinking front end PPF makes sense. But, is it really necessary for the full car? Is Tesla paint really that bad that the sides and back get so beaten down that I should consider doing the whole car? I never take my cars to a car wash, and I plan on getting mud flaps from my conversations with people and from what I see on the forums. If I do only put PPF on the front, will the PPF provide UV protection for the front causing the back to fade faster? Are there ever problems with the PPF lifting the paint when it's time to remove it?

Looking for some useful feedback based on others' experiences. Thanks!
I have full body PPF on one of my cars. I’ve had hood, bumper, mirror, etc PPF on other cars. I love it and look for cars that have PPF when buying pre-owned. Rocks don’t chip, they bounce off. Bugs don’t get crusty, stuff doesn’t stick and ruin clear coat. PPF has an external film that’s really easy to clean just about anything off of so the car is always looking brand new and blemish free.

I understand that most of the folks are over-excited about their new Tesla like buying a brand new car for the first time. Ready to vacuum, hand wash, glass cleaning and other stuff every day. Like a "honeymoon" :D
But Tesla.. is just a car first of all. You ll get used to it in 6-9 months, and maybe will think "why in the heck did I spend so much money on damn PPF".

If I would buy Ferrari, maybe I would do a full PPF. But with Tesla... family compact SUV... well

ROI - not there for a daily driver. $2,500 - $5k+ is nuts IMO. Rock chips and a few scuffs is normal. If you really want to do it, wait a bit and prices will fall with the lack of easy money and demand. Pre-Covid, could get the entire front end done in xpel for less than $900. Bumper and partial hood is all you really need.

Similar to super expensive ceramic coating by a detail shop. A good $20 spray on ceramic coating after every wash is all you need. Add some spray on exterior rainx glass cleaner - everything will bead up quickly.

Reactions: GoodKarma
I didn't get any PPF for my MYP based off my previous experience with my BMW M2 Competition. I spent nearly $5k on wrapping that car with XPEL Ultimate Plus. Initially, I was happy knowing my car was protected. However, after a short period of time I regretted it. On a white car, not all edges can be wrapped and so you're left with unsightly seams where dirt collects and the only way to get rid of it is by meticulously cleaning with fine edge detailing tools. When waxing the car, the compound would gunk up on the exposed edges. Under certain lighting you could tell where there were minor film imperfections leading to an exaggerated orange peel effect. The PPF made detailing my car harder and within a few short months you WILL accumulate small gouges in the film from dust/sand/grit on the roadways. Would I ever remove the film and re-apply? No way, too expensive. I love keeping my cars pristine but personally I've given up on PPF. It's not worth the cost or headache with keeping it in presentable shape.

Reactions: Art84 and dachshund
I agree with you. I did the entire car with Xpel Ultimate Plus, ceramic coat and paint correction by myself. I paid $1300 total for the PPF, Ceramic coat, and two stage paint correction, and that is the best value money can buy. If you get someone to do for $5-$7k, it is not worth it.
enter car including door and rear PPF wit XPEL for $1300? That alone is just material cost alone.. wow you have a steal!

Just picked up my Model Y LR last week in midnight silver metallic. I'm considering PPF for it, and was quoted for Xpel Ultimate Plus for the full car ($5,500) and for the front end ($2,500 - bumper, hood, headlights, fenders).

Are there any disadvantages to only doing PPF on the front of the car? I figure that's the part of the car that usually gets blasted. My 9 year old black charger that I just got rid of looked amazing, except for the obvious sandblasting and rock chips on the front of the car. Thinking front end PPF makes sense. But, is it really necessary for the full car? Is Tesla paint really that bad that the sides and back get so beaten down that I should consider doing the whole car? I never take my cars to a car wash, and I plan on getting mud flaps from my conversations with people and from what I see on the forums. If I do only put PPF on the front, will the PPF provide UV protection for the front causing the back to fade faster? Are there ever problems with the PPF lifting the paint when it's time to remove it?

Looking for some useful feedback based on others' experiences. Thanks!
I picked up my Model Y LR with Pearl white paint in April. The first thing I did was to have Suntek Paint Protection film applied to the entire car, windows tinted and my white seats ceramic coated. The car looks great inside and out. The cost numbers you shared are in line with what I was quoted. Now thinking back, if I had to do things over, I might just have the front bumper covered with ppf and pocket the saving to be applied in the future if and only if I needed to do some touchup / repairing on the hood, fenders and/or mirrors.

Reactions: AztecPyramid