Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car - PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I haven’t pulled the trigger in anything yet…turns out Tesla might not have the type of customer service I was expecting. I’ve owned the car since 10/29 and have physically had the car in my possession for 1 or 2 full days. Took them 2 weeks to replace my windshield, then they have to send it to a body shop because the tech dropped something on my passenger side fender. I’m beyond annoyed and don’t even want the car anymore. A brand new car that needs body work. Not cool. Good job Tesla.

As far as PPF, thank you to everyone for your thoughts. I did find an installer who will do full front (bumper, full hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors) for $1,800 all in…I think I’m just gonna do it because I hate how my paint looked on the front of my 9 year old car that I just sold. Car was pristine, except for the front. Now I have to wait for the paint to cure on the touch up before doing anything.

my friend just got his tesla model y PPF entire care for 4500$ in Queens NY. you can give him a call and find a quote. 347-853-5976
Was it at TM in great neck?
Bearded Tesla Guy has a few videos on DIY PPF. I will probably save a few bucks and get just the front bumper and hood done, but not by myself! I found his videos very interesting though. Let's see if this link works...
Agreed. Very interesting. But if you screw it up then all that money is wasted. I trust myself but don’t have a garage or the time to try it out on my own. But then again…

I picked up my Model Y LR with Pearl white paint in April. The first thing I did was to have Suntek Paint Protection film applied to the entire car, windows tinted and my white seats ceramic coated. The car looks great inside and out. The cost numbers you shared are in line with what I was quoted. Now thinking back, if I had to do things over, I might just have the front bumper covered with ppf and pocket the saving to be applied in the future if and only if I needed to do some touchup / repairing on the hood, fenders and/or mirrors.
Do you know what product they used on the seats? I have black, but was still thinking of putting something on the ln to make cleaning easier. Though, I did read somewhere they Tesla supposedly has a protective coating on them from the factory and all you should use to clean them is a damp rag.

I have an appointment to PPF my car since I'm in NY and anything can happen to your car here (people parking too close to you and scraping your bumpers, etc). I see that you're also in NY and would get it just in case for the protection and the ease of mind that you can just wipe it off if anything does happen to your car.

Do you know what product they used on the seats? I have black, but was still thinking of putting something on the ln to make cleaning easier. Though, I did read somewhere they Tesla supposedly has a protective coating on them from the factory and all you should use to clean them is a damp rag.
I just received a response from my detailer, they said “leather and fabric coating from Feynlab”.

I did full front PPF on my 2018 Model 3. I’ve caught a lot of rock chips and bugs during that time. The PPF actually has some small tears on it. I guess the XPEL isn’t fully self healing.

Now I just got a Model Y. I’m not sure if I would get PPF again. I could replace the whole bumper for what I paid for with PPF. Im having a hard time justifying the cost. I wonder what the profit margin is?

Now if there was a PPF for the windshield I might go for that. I’ve never got hit by more rocks/pebbles on my windshield before. It’s like my car was a magnet. Once in a while my eyes would focus I on one of the songs on the windshield and it would bother me.

I did full front PPF on my 2018 Model 3. I’ve caught a lot of rock chips and bugs during that time. The PPF actually has some small tears on it. I guess the XPEL isn’t fully self healing.

Now I just got a Model Y. I’m not sure if I would get PPF again. I could replace the whole bumper for what I paid for with PPF. Im having a hard time justifying the cost. I wonder what the profit margin is?

Now if there was a PPF for the windshield I might go for that. I’ve never got hit by more rocks/pebbles on my windshield before. It’s like my car was a magnet. Once in a while my eyes would focus I on one of the songs on the windshield and it would bother me.
NO PPF in the market today can heal tear/cut. The self healing is for light scratches.

Reactions: akidesir
Just picked up my Model Y LR last week in midnight silver metallic. I'm considering PPF for it, and was quoted for Xpel Ultimate Plus for the full car ($5,500) and for the front end ($2,500 - bumper, hood, headlights, fenders).

Are there any disadvantages to only doing PPF on the front of the car? I figure that's the part of the car that usually gets blasted. My 9 year old black charger that I just got rid of looked amazing, except for the obvious sandblasting and rock chips on the front of the car. Thinking front end PPF makes sense. But, is it really necessary for the full car? Is Tesla paint really that bad that the sides and back get so beaten down that I should consider doing the whole car? I never take my cars to a car wash, and I plan on getting mud flaps from my conversations with people and from what I see on the forums. If I do only put PPF on the front, will the PPF provide UV protection for the front causing the back to fade faster? Are there ever problems with the PPF lifting the paint when it's time to remove it?

Looking for some useful feedback based on others' experiences. Thanks!
I have the same color (‘23 MYP) and I initially just opted for a full front mask coverage (Xpel) and paid under $2K. This past weekend my youngest daughter opened the rear driver’s side door and hit a bike handlebar while parked in the garage causing two minor scratches. Not her fault and I can’t get mad at my kids for something so trivial, but it did prompt me to consider getting the rest of the car done. My local installer offered to do the rest of the car plus a “lifetime” application of ceramic coating on top for just over $5K so I’m going to go ahead and get it all done. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. If you have the means and it isn’t a financial burden I say go for it.

I could replace the whole bumper for what I paid for with PPF. Im having a hard time justifying the cost. I wonder what the profit margin is?

Now if there was a PPF for the windshield I might go for that. I’ve never got hit by more rocks/pebbles on my windshield before.
That's a bad bad proposition anytime you err on the side of bodywork. You won't be able to buy a new pre-painted bumper cuz your paint will have faded and thus a new bumper won't color match. That means a paintshop and repsraying which means more paint via paint matching, ie. blending into bumper and fenders. On top of this you now have a respray which reduces value if its ever mentioned. Oh and let's not ignore the potential for problems with a bad respray.

There is PPF for windshields although its not recommended. It can get in the way of use of the wipers and often introduces visual imperfections.

Reactions: ev4robert
I wonder why Tesla does not include PPF as an option. Although the procedure itself is labor intensive, on a mass scale Tesla has the capability to a do a superior job for far less than the going rate.
You may be giving too much credit to Tesla. Let’s let them figure out how to do a superior job at consistently building acceptable cars first. Also, there’s no publicity in PPF, so Elon wouldn’t take over a PPF company.
All joking aside, Tesla is not in the PPF game, just like Audi, Ford, or Chevy aren’t. They are a car manufacturer, not a car accessory manufacturer.

Reactions: Cyclone
I agree with you. I did the entire car with Xpel Ultimate Plus, ceramic coat and paint correction by myself. I paid $1300 total for the PPF, Ceramic coat, and two stage paint correction, and that is the best value money can buy. If you get someone to do for $5-$7k, it is not worth it.
That's great value for full body coverage.

Can you please share the source of your pre cut ppf?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it appears that Tesla did install PPF on a small section of my 22MS in front of the rear tires.
57EB2E74-EC04-40F9-8754-B7DC3C9A5F87.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I agree with you. I did the entire car with Xpel Ultimate Plus, ceramic coat and paint correction by myself. I paid $1300 total for the PPF, Ceramic coat, and two stage paint correction, and that is the best value money can buy. If you get someone to do for $5-$7k, it is not worth it.
You must have prior experience installing PPF. That’s not an easy task to do the car by yourself, as one needs exp, tools, skills and knowledge to do it right. You got the best deal from yourself. There is NO RIO for an$5-$7k PPF + coating, unless your the second owner.

Most can do paint correction with the right orbital buffer and some super good mild polish. Ceramic coating is easy too - but PPF - 10x harder than a wrap.

kudos to you!!!

You must have prior experience installing PPF. That’s not an easy task to do the car by yourself, as one needs exp, tools, skills and knowledge to do it right. You got the best deal from yourself. There is NO RIO for an$5-$7k PPF + coating, unless your the second owner.

Most can do paint correction with the right orbital buffer and some super good mild polish. Ceramic coating is easy too - but PPF - 10x harder than a wrap.

kudos to you!!!
This was my first time ever, and you don't even need expensive tools. Applying PPF is challenging and applying near perfect was way more challenging, but I was able to finish the job with 99% professional quality. If you don't hurry and take your time, you can do it too. I did 1-2 panels a day and I prepped my garage well (cleaning and flooded the garage floor with a lot of water, so that I don't get the dust flying around).

1. Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF for entire car - $1100
2. CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 - $75
3. Harbor Freight Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher - $65
4. Lake Country Pads (cutting, plishing, final finish pads) - $30
5. Sonax "Perfect Finish" and "CutMax" - $50
6. Baby shampoo, distilled water, alcohol, spray bottles, squeegees - $20