TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Car Price Premium Speculation

Discussion in 'Model X' started by philiparnason, Apr 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. philiparnason

philiparnason Member

In the very early days of Model S sales, when the order to delivery times were close to a year, delivered Model S rocket-ships sold for a premium over the actual build price. Are we likely to see this phenomenon repeat itself? For how long?

Philip

2. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

I am sure there will always be somebody who is so eager to obtain one that they are willing to pay above retail. With the order-to-delivery wait on the "X" likely to be a much shorter wait than the MS had I would guess that should bring the actual resale price down very quickly to the order price, less rebates.

3. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Agree the wait times should be significantly less. But there's always a few (and I expect very few), willing to jump in late in the game and pay the premium. I can see a few of them happening after launch/first reviews, but I wouldn't dare trying a speculative buy on that. You'll get stuck with the worlds best SUV, so it won't be too bad I guess if you did and could afford to keep it. :)

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't see that happening again for the S, but it could happen for the X for awhile this year.