Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Car Protection Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never had PPF before, but I've hated having rock chips in the nose of my vehicles, and door dings annoy me. So, when I got my Tesla, I wanted to get PPF, but was shocked at how expensive it was, adds 10% to the cost! I eventually decided to do it myself. Ordered pre-cut kits and did the easy parts first, to build up my skill level.

Hood was first, and easy. I only did bottom 2/3rd so 3M Scotchgard Pro cost $200 for 2/3rd hood, wrapped edge, fenders, mirror cups.

Then I did all 4 doors for $400. Both the hood and doors are easy, because they're quite flat. You just need 3 hands, because the door pieces are quite large. The hardest pieces are the front fenders because there are more curves, and the mirror cups need alot of stretching.

Then I did the rockers after some people started reporting sandblasting. Super easy, but you have to use ramps to get easier access. Still, I laid on my back to apply the rocker PPF. Cost $120.

Lastly, I did the front bumper for $180. What a bear! Even with all that practice, the front bumper is an order of a magnitude harder. I panicked and made a couple relief cuts to get the front to lay flat. I'm sure I could do it better given another chance. Maybe in a couple years, I'll do the front again.

Altogether $900 and I'm quite happy to have done it. The parts I didn't do are the A pillars, and rear, though I put a $10 strip of Xpel on the rear bumper sill.

If the front bumper wasn't so hard, I'd rec doing it yourself to everyone. I forgot, next time I do it, I'll do it in a garage. Outdoors, makes it harder as you need to find a windless and cloudy day.
Rocker done:
IMG_2089.jpg
Doors done:
IMG_1959.jpg
Front bumper:
IMG_2244.jpg